TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Large LCD

Discussion in 'Model S' started by newt, Mar 27, 2009.

1. newt

newt New Member

I've never been a fan of using an LCD as a control panel for a car. For GPS--okay. But for the radio? It is one of those ideas that looks really great in a lab, but is a disaster on the road.

In my car I can adjust the volume and change stations on the radio without taking my eyes off of the road.

With a large touch LCD I wouldn't be able to do that. In fact it looks so large that it would probably take at least 1/2 a second of searching around to find the right place to put my fingers. If I make a mistake, I'll look down a fraction of a second longer to get it right.

We just don't need all these drivers taking their eyes and attention off of the road at any time. It's just asking for big trouble (as in killing or maiming yourself and your family and the family you run into, not to mention totalling your snazzy electric sedan).

2. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Radio controls belong onto the steering wheel, don't you think?

Reaching out onto the central console just to change station or volume is unfit for modern car.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#3 dpeilow, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  4. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Another big point is since this is all controlled by software, a special mode for high speeds or the nearsighted might work. Or a combination of limited voice commands. Say AC out load and the whole screen turns into like 6 buttons all for controlling AC. Essentially the possibilities are endless. It looked like the "mode" we saw on the pictures were store mode.

Cobos

5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Yes, this central console will surely look and work very different from what many expect (and criticize).

Tesla is not stupid.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. Voice commands is essentially what the Microsoft Sync system uses in the Ford Focus. Voice commands can eliminate the worry about pressing buttons while driving.

7. Brick

Brick Member

Voice controls are really being debugged fast, watch Microsoft get into this project... Sync like system but much improved by 2011.