Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Splitter!

On I-30, Hope, AR splits 131.9 miles, 32.4 miles from Texarkana, TX and 99.8 miles to Little Rock, AR.
It's gap #15. That's now 3 proper top 25 splitters under construction, plus 2 pathetic.

Hope, AR is now open. When identified it was #15, but when opened it was #12.
#26 is now ... I don't know, I'm away from spreadsheet until tomorrow evening when I'll update the wiki page properly.

Alternative Triple Splitter! With more recent Permit activity I've replaced the Oklahoma City - W Sheridan Ave location in the list.

On I-35 splits 155.2 miles, 99.4 miles from Ardmore, OK, 57.9 miles to Perry, OK. That's #6 on the list.
On I-40 pathetically splits 194.4 miles, 14.5 miles from Oklahoma City, OK, 187.9 miles to Van Buren, AR. That's #2 on the list.
On I-44 splits 242.1 miles, 144.3 miles from Wichita Falls, TX, 99.8 miles to Tulsa, OK. That's #1 on the list.

Reactions: RTPEV
Superchargers needed 8/19/2023 (if all Permit+ Superchargers open):

Interstates:
Max Separation08/18/202312/31/2022

US Numbered Highways:
Max Separation08/18/202312/31/2022
200237n/a
250150n/a

Pathetic Splitter! On I-90 Billings - N Frontage Rd, MT splits 136.2 miles, 13.1 miles from Billings, MT, 123.8 miles to Sheridan, WY.
It's currently the 12th largest Interstate gap.
If it were to magically open today the reduced 123.8 mile gap to Sheridan, WY would be the 24th largest gap.

The location is a Town Pump, with which Tesla has made an agreement to add at least 6 locations (including another splitter) which will allow them significantly to improve Montana Supercharging.

This is open, and at time of opening split the 10th largest gap, 2 places up from 3/29.
Now on I-90 Billings - N Frontage Rd, MT to Sheridan, WY, at 123.8 is the 19th largest gap, 5 places up from where it was 3/29.

Reactions: bruce4000
This is open, and at time of opening split the 10th largest gap, 2 places up from 3/29.
Now on I-90 Billings - N Frontage Rd, MT to Sheridan, WY, at 123.8 is the 19th largest gap, 5 places up from where it was 3/29.
It doesn't show up on the list because it involves 2 interstates but this one also takes 13 miles off the 150 mi interstate route gap between Billings and Miles City. Doesn't sound like much but where the speed limits are 80mph it helps quite a bit. A 12 stall v3 instead of a 4 stall v2 is also a huge improvement.

Long thread, and I didn't read all. I was wondering about the stretch from Flagstaff, AZ to Cortez, CO? Since 1980, when I wanted to drive from Phoenix to Colorado, I'd do it by the shortest route, especially on a motorcycle. That was a simple route, 425 miles long. Phx to Flag, Flag to Tuba City/Kayenta and 4 corners, then into Cortez on the last stretch inside Colorado. It is 260 miles from Flagstaff to Cortez, and the natural place to have a supercharger would be in the middle, at Kayenta. That is the gateway to the famous Monument Valley rocks. On my motorcycles, which have had similar ranges to Tesla cars, I would stop for gas in Flagstaff, then again in Kayenta.

But we have a local political issue here, and a good one. The bulk of the drive is through the huge Navajo nation, and from what I gather, they are against putting in superchargers for people to drive through the reservation when much of the reservation has no electricity at all. I can't say I blame them as they always seem to be second in line for infrastructure improvements.

For now there are destination chargers in Tuba City at the Moenkapi hotel and over the Utah state line at Gouldings hotel.

Getting to 4 Corners is a challenge from the south. And it sure seems like southwest Colorado is almost as bad as northwest Arizona. In planning my trips from Phoenix through Colorado I'm seeing a lot of restrictions on routes.

It doesn't show up on the list because it involves 2 interstates but this one also takes 13 miles off the 150 mi interstate route gap between Billings and Miles City. Doesn't sound like much but where the speed limits are 80mph it helps quite a bit. A 12 stall v3 instead of a 4 stall v2 is also a huge improvement.
At some point I'll have to post my updated list of transitions.

Long thread, and I didn't read all. I was wondering about the stretch from Flagstaff, AZ to Cortez, CO? Since 1980, when I wanted to drive from Phoenix to Colorado, I'd do it by the shortest route, especially on a motorcycle. That was a simple route, 425 miles long. Phx to Flag, Flag to Tuba City/Kayenta and 4 corners, then into Cortez on the last stretch inside Colorado. It is 260 miles from Flagstaff to Cortez, and the natural place to have a supercharger would be in the middle, at Kayenta. That is the gateway to the famous Monument Valley rocks. On my motorcycles, which have had similar ranges to Tesla cars, I would stop for gas in Flagstaff, then again in Kayenta.

But we have a local political issue here, and a good one. The bulk of the drive is through the huge Navajo nation, and from what I gather, they are against putting in superchargers for people to drive through the reservation when much of the reservation has no electricity at all. I can't say I blame them as they always seem to be second in line for infrastructure improvements.

For now there are destination chargers in Tuba City at the Moenkapi hotel and over the Utah state line at Gouldings hotel.

Getting to 4 Corners is a challenge from the south. And it sure seems like southwest Colorado is almost as bad as northwest Arizona. In planning my trips from Phoenix through Colorado I'm seeing a lot of restrictions on routes.

My son and I did a post-pandemic road trip in a ICE car a month before I got my Model Y in 2021. I checked ABetterRoutePlanner.com each day, to see if we would have been able to do the same legs in the Tesla. The only leg that we wouldn't have been able to replicate in the Tesla was the drive from Mesa Verde National Park (near Cortez, CO) to Tusayan, AZ. That would have required a detour to the supercharger in Page, AZ and limiting our max speed most of the way.

I did not know about the lack of electricity in the Navajo Nation. That's got to be especially aggravating given the amount of electricity that hydro generates just north of there at Lake Powell.

Reactions: DrGriz

This past Spring, I was going to do Phoenix to CO Springs, going through Farmington, Four Corners, Mesa Verde NP, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Alamosa, and Pueblo or Poncha Springs. (2-4 days to include site seeing) It did require some possible back tracking, and was definitely dependent on some of Colorado’s CCS chargers. But, we had to change plans for other reasons, plus a bunch of the CCS chargers were offline for upgrades. Those upgrades are now complete, but reliability reviews of the new CCS chargers on PlugShare are 100% encouraging. :(

Splitter!

On I-77 New Philadelphia, OH will split 121.8 miles, 39.7 miles from Cambridge, OH, and 82.9 miles to the end at I-90 in Cleveland, OH.
It's #26 on the list, so should appear in the table reasonably soon.

New Philadelphia, OH is open! #26 back in May, #22 at opening.

#25 is now I-20, 120.2 miles from Cisco, TX to Arlington - E Bardin Rd, TX. It already has a Splitter! Santo, TX under Construction.

Splitter!

Splitter! On I-65, splits 130.4 miles, 37.9 miles from Greenville, AL, 93.6 miles to Mountain Brook, AL. This gap is #16 on the list.
(It was #13 splitting to Birmingham, AL but I've changed to have Mountain Brook, AL replace Birmingham on I-65 since close ends up using the same exits and is v3 rather than v2.)

Montgomery - Mobile Hwy, AL is now open. It was #13 on the list.

#25 is now I-25 Evansville, WY to End (I-90 near Buffalo, WY), 119.3 miles. No identified splitter yet.

All Gaps >=100:
Total 7865.3 miles
Avg 121.0 miles
Top 25:
Total 25 3525.7 miles
Avg 25 141.0 miles

StatusPatheticTotal
Permit714
Construction39
Open00
None042

Last edited:
This past Spring, I was going to do Phoenix to CO Springs, going through Farmington, Four Corners, Mesa Verde NP, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Alamosa, and Pueblo or Poncha Springs. (2-4 days to include site seeing) It did require some possible back tracking, and was definitely dependent on some of Colorado’s CCS chargers. But, we had to change plans for other reasons, plus a bunch of the CCS chargers were offline for upgrades. Those upgrades are now complete, but reliability reviews of the new CCS chargers on PlugShare are 100% encouraging. :(
I've been taking motorcycle trips from Phoenix to Colorado since 1980. And I find the range issue very similar. My bikes had 6 gallon tanks, then 5.7, then 5 as the years went on. But it amounted to a range of 170 to 250 miles, with the 250 for highway miles. So I stop as much as a Tesla, it appears, but I have more route flexibility. I've been over every paved mountain pass in Colorado on a bike, done every route from Phoenix up, I graduated high school in Colorado Springs, etc. I pick up my MYP tomorrow, and it just seems perfect for driving through Colorado. (And going via Farmington is ugly!)

I did mean that the CCS charger reviews are NOT encouraging! (Ugh, stupid late night proof reading)
The new chargers on this CO route are faster, but not all are consistently up and working, and there are still not enough of them… You pull in behind 2 Rivians (with big batteries) and you could be there for 2 hours. Getting superchargers in Durango and Alamosa would be awesome for this whole area.

Is it possible to offer two different prices for supercharging based on local registration of the cars? I'm wondering if it might be one way to talk the Navajo Nation into authorizing superchargers on the rez. My idea would be to completely or partially subsidize supercharging for Navajo-owned cars while charging an extra fee/higher rate to tourists passing through? I'd be happy to pay double the going rate to be able to stop in Kayenta, AZ. I'm thinking they cut a deal to have SC's put in a bunch of places besides Kayenta and Tuba City - open up the rez to both tourists and indians. Of course they'll need a lot of cheap electric pickup trucks then - and you have to look at this as a location where there won't be home charging as rule for large sections of land.

Livingston, TX is open. It's a splitter on Future I-69, US-59, splitting 148.5 miles, 78 miles from Houston - W Alabama St, TX, 71.8 miles to Nacogdoches, TX.

Splitter!

On I-70, splits 105.9 miles, 22.5 miles from Colby, KS, 83.9 miles to Hays, KS.

Oakley, KS is now open.

I've been taking motorcycle trips from Phoenix to Colorado since 1980. And I find the range issue very similar. My bikes had 6 gallon tanks, then 5.7, then 5 as the years went on. But it amounted to a range of 170 to 250 miles, with the 250 for highway miles. So I stop as much as a Tesla, it appears, but I have more route flexibility. I've been over every paved mountain pass in Colorado on a bike, done every route from Phoenix up, I graduated high school in Colorado Springs, etc. I pick up my MYP tomorrow, and it just seems perfect for driving through Colorado. (And going via Farmington is ugly!)
headed from Denver to Montrose, CO tomorrow - and I'm nervous about the 140 miles on Rte 285 between Denver and Poncha Springs. It's "just" 140 miles - but through and up mountains, in hot weather. ... Then it's another 125 from Poncha Springs to Montrose.

headed from Denver to Montrose, CO tomorrow - and I'm nervous about the 140 miles on Rte 285 between Denver and Poncha Springs. It's "just" 140 miles - but through and up mountains, in hot weather. ... Then it's another 125 from Poncha Springs to Montrose.

If you have the time, you could take I-25 down and hit one of the two superchargers in Colorado Springs, then cut the corner over to Cañon City and 50 over to Poncho Springs. Probably not much more time, but not as pretty.

The stretch from Poncho Springs to Montrose will be trending downhill after Monarch Pass.

(My son and I took this route on a father-son road trip back in 2021 in a gas car, one month before I got my Model Y, and I checked ABRP to see if I could have done it in the Tesla. It predicted that it would be no problem.)