Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I-40 is certainly a tough place. There just aren't many places to even put a charger along many long stretches.
You might have been able to just slow down and make it instead of taking the detour though.
Yeah, the speeds on I-40 make it really hard, and often unsafe, to hyper-mile. On the Gallup to Holbrook stretch I cant even use AP if I want to stay with left lane traffic!
(Note that I have never driven the west of Flagstaff section.)
Tesla HAS to know the Seligman site is drastically needed; I am sure Tesla just can’t easily find a good host with plenty of power.

Yeah, the speeds on I-40 make it really hard, and often unsafe, to hyper-mile. On the Gallup to Holbrook stretch I cant even use AP if I want to stay with left lane traffic!
(Note that I have never driven the west of Flagstaff section.)
Tesla HAS to know the Seligman site is drastically needed; I am sure Tesla just can’t easily find a good host with plenty of power.
And going East from Kingman to Flagstaff or GC, there is -3000’ elevation gain to make matters worse. This stretch should be covered by the new Federal charger funding which has goal of 50 mile between chargers. Maybe Tesla has just been waiting on this and V4.

I-40 is certainly a tough place. There just aren't many places to even put a charger along many long stretches.
You might have been able to just slow down and make it instead of taking the detour though.

I had slowed down about as much as I could, but the car was insisting I'd come up short. Do keep in mind that this was nearly 2 years ago and the range estimation wasn't the greatest at that time. I was routinely arriving with significantly more charge than predicted on that trip. But not knowing how much the climb would drain made me scared to try it. I'm pretty sure now I would have made it....barely.

I am sure Tesla just can’t easily find a good host with plenty of power.
I remember that, for about the 1st couple of years it was open, the Holbrook and Albuquerque Superchargers were plagued with poor power that often reduced charging speed to 40 KW or so. I'm guessing that adding batteries is what has helped bring these up to speed today.

I-89 from Hooksett, NH to West Lebanon, NH.

I am extremely upset with the community there. Narrowminded and don't want EVs to come for some reason that is unknown. If you got a problem because it's incentivized, then, that is a pretty stupid excuse since it's incentivized by the Federal Government. If you got a problem because of lack of road tax, that's false, because the EVs costs to register is higher than ICE cars.

State of NH (for the lack of better word) has more people un-educated and full of mis-information.

Don't be against it! It's freaking just another type of car! Some folks wants to own it. Maybe they don't want to pay for gas, maybe they want to get it for environmental reason, maybe no oil changes.....these people are ridiculous.

Reactions: SMLBound
I had slowed down about as much as I could, but the car was insisting I'd come up short. Do keep in mind that this was nearly 2 years ago and the range estimation wasn't the greatest at that time. I was routinely arriving with significantly more charge than predicted on that trip. But not knowing how much the climb would drain made me scared to try it. I'm pretty sure now I would have made it....barely.

When I did it in 2022, I followed the historic Route 66 alignment between Kingman and Seligman. It is scenic, doesn't have a lot of traffic, and you can visit the Hackberry General Store along the way. I don't recall having any issue making it to Flagstaff. But I agree - it would be great to have a Supercharger site in Seligman. It is another fun place to walk around in.

I am extremely upset with the community there. Narrowminded and don't want EVs to come for some reason that is unknown. If you got a problem because it's incentivized, then, that is a pretty stupid excuse since it's incentivized by the Federal Government. If you got a problem because of lack of road tax, that's false, because the EVs costs to register is higher than ICE cars.

State of NH (for the lack of better word) has more people un-educated and full of mis-information.

Don't be against it! It's freaking just another type of car! Some folks wants to own it. Maybe they don't want to pay for gas, maybe they want to get it for environmental reason, maybe no oil changes.....these people are ridiculous.
Incredibly frustrating. Portsmouth supposedly voted one down...

I guess an advantage with the west is that most small towns are trying to bring in business. There's always a city or county economic development board that is on your side for the $$$, even if the politics don't align.
Luckily, Hooksett to West Lebanon, NH is only 67 miles so a splitter is not crucially needed.
I, personally, will say that liberal Prius and EV owners have not exactly worked hard to endear themselves to conservatives and not all conservatives are quite as wise or open-minded as I am.

Reactions: cmaster and wws
Just got an email from Tesla announcing these newly selected sites...

North America
Montebello, Quebec
St. John's, NL
Baie-Comeau, Quebec
Renfrew, Ontario
Aulds Cove, Nova Scotia

Europe
Bacău, Romania
Deva, Romania
Paks, Hungary
Iași, Romania
Békéscsaba, Hungary

Asia
Uljin County, South Korea
Fukuchiyama City, Japan
Hokkaido, Japan
Asahikawa, Japan
Mildura, Australia

Bonus
Pullman, Washington
Manhattan, Kansas
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Siena, Italy

Reactions: Star K1tty
Supercharger Voting for 2024 Q1 has started.

There are 2 new potential splitters and 1 carried over.

Lawton, OK
Gas City, IN
Shelby, MT (Was also Q4 2023)

Also, not quite a Splitter! is Wentzville, MO. On I-70, It would split 96.5 miles, Columbia, MO to St. Charles, MO. It's between V2s, so is a good V3 Splitter.

Please use your votes to help encourage Tesla to add Splitter!s and eliminate the larger Interstate gaps, as well as to help resolve your key needs.

Last edited:
When I did it in 2022, I followed the historic Route 66 alignment between Kingman and Seligman. It is scenic, doesn't have a lot of traffic, and you can visit the Hackberry General Store along the way. I don't recall having any issue making it to Flagstaff. But I agree - it would be great to have a Supercharger site in Seligman. It is another fun place to walk around in.
Looking at your sig I'm assuming you were in a LR model. I was in a 2022 LFP (RWD) model, so significantly less range than you would have had. But I'll checkout the historic route from Kingman to Seligman. I'm assuming it is a much lower speed route and might provide more margin (even though it is probably slightly longer).

Reactions: BigWaveDragon
Looking at your sig I'm assuming you were in a LR model. I was in a 2022 LFP (RWD) model, so significantly less range than you would have had. But I'll checkout the historic route from Kingman to Seligman. I'm assuming it is a much lower speed route and might provide more margin (even though it is probably slightly longer).

I do have a LR model. Looking at plugshare, there is also a CCS Electrify America site in Williams. So if you carry a CCS adapter, that may be an option too.

But Seligman is an almost exact split between Kingman and Flagstaff. I agree it'd be a great place for a Supercharger site. (Though Williams would be handy for those heading up to the Grand Canyon.)

I do have a LR model. Looking at plugshare, there is also a CCS Electrify America site in Williams. So if you carry a CCS adapter, that may be an option too.

But Seligman is an almost exact split between Kingman and Flagstaff. I agree it'd be a great place for a Supercharger site. (Though Williams would be handy for those heading up to the Grand Canyon.)
There's already a Supercharger at the Grand Canyon so Seligman is probably a better, overall, location for general travelers as well as Grand Canyon tourists. Hopefully, we'll soon see something at one of the truck stops near the I-40 exits to town.

There's already a Supercharger at the Grand Canyon so Seligman is probably a better, overall, location for general travelers as well as Grand Canyon tourists. Hopefully, we'll soon see something at one of the truck stops near the I-40 exits to town.
So I log into my account to vote in 2024 1st qtr, and a lot of the western US locations I voted for last cycle are no longer shown, including Segleman. Does this mean they are now in the works or what? None of them are shown in the Tesla find me map (although that map is rarely accurate or predictive).

So I log into my account to vote in 2024 1st qtr, and a lot of the western US locations I voted for last cycle are no longer shown, including Segleman. Does this mean they are now in the works or what?
No, it means that those suggested sites didn't win. Sites are only available to be voted for in the quarter after they were suggested. Though you can suggest them again and maybe they will be available to vote for next quarter.

No, it means that those suggested sites didn't win. Sites are only available to be voted for in the quarter after they were suggested. Though you can suggest them again and maybe they will be available to vote for next quarter.
Just because they aren't in the poll doesn't mean Superchargers won't be built there. Tesla is always watching where folks are going and how they need to expand. I'm sure that I-40 is no exception. If capacity or coverage looks like it is needed, I'm sure they have site scouts out working on them.

Seligman may have obstinate potential site owners or municipal planning departments making it difficult as well.

Reactions: TexaCali
Seeing New Caney, TX was open, I looked at my "Future Interstates" list and realized that I hadn't updated them for 3 open Superchargers.
These changes move 3 gaps to open list, but adds a smaller gap as well.

- Livingstone, TX split Humble, TX to Nacogdoches, TX on Future I-69, before New Caney, TX opened.
- Carthage, TX split Nacogdoches, TX to Texarkana, TX on _Not_ Future I-69. Carthage, TX to Texarkana, TX is a little over 100 miles so was added to the list.
- Hope, AR split Texarkana, TX and Little Rock, TX on _Not_ Future I-69.

(The actual route for I-69 from Nacogdoches, TX would go east from Tenaha, TX along US-84 into Louisiana, then up and around the Southeast of Shreveport, LA, then through Arkansas across to Mississippi and up through Tennessee. But currently the fastest route between Nacogdoches, TX and Southaven, MS (on I-69) takes US-59, I-30 and I-40 passing through Carthage, TX and Texarkana, TX. There are sections of I-69 and the feeders being built and signed, in a few states, although much of the work right now in some places is replacing or upgrading intersections to Interstate standards to allow for existing US Numbered Highways to be signed in sections as I-69, I-69W, I-69C and I-69E.

I _could_ change my future list to use Nacogdoches, TX to Shreveport, LA via Tenaha, TX (94.7 miles) and then use the current fastest route from Shreveport, LA to Southaven, MS, which goes via Texarkana, LA (with the Texarkana, TX Supercharger close enough). That would remove Carthage, TX to Texarkana, TX from the Future list).

Last edited:

Bangor - Broadway, ME is now open. On I-95 it splits 114.4 miles, 56.1 miles from Waterville, ME, 59.8 miles to Medway, ME.
This wasn't quite on the Top 25 list as it was joint 26th.
It allows people to avoid a diversion to V2 Brewer, ME which was a diversion of 10.7 miles, 14.5 minutes. (Brewer, ME still may be useful for people traveling ME-9 towards Calais or US-1A towards Ellsworth, ME and Acadia.)

Butte - Grizzly Trl, MT is now open. It was a double pathetic Splitter!
On I-90 pathetically splits 123.5 miles, 117.8 miles from Missoula, MT, 6 miles to Butte, MT. This was the #16 gap, and drops to #23 so nothing moves into
On I-15 pathetically splits 113.3 miles, 107.6 miles from Lima, MT, 6 miles to Butte, MT. With Bangor - Broadway, ME open, this was the #29 gap, and drops to joint #34.

Reactions: Star K1tty

Splitter!

On I-10, Lordsburg, NM splits 134 miles, 73.9 miles from Willcox, AZ, 60.8 miles ot Deming, NM. This is the #8 Interstate gap.
Nice! Maybe I can skip the older V2 chargers heading west.

Oh wait, probably won’t be done by April. Oh well.