Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm ...

I got 1159.3 miles following US-2 for that.
If Shelby, MT actually gets built it'll split the gaps to 417.5 miles and 741.9 miles.
US-60 Wickenburg, AZ to Miner, MO is 1583.5 miles. Plenty of places in between, but not actually close to that highway. Even once Socorro, NM is open, Socorro, NM to Miner, MO will be 1152.8 miles.

Nice find! I'd be tempted to count the Amarillo supercharger for US-60 (at least it's in the same city), but I see it's a diversion of several miles from US-60 proper.

A useful list of gaps on US Numbered Highways would likely need to be more selective.

Still, my sense of completion means I am tracking along US highways, and it's clear that Tesla is filling in holes along many of those in as well. It's nerd-exciting to me when the largest gap drops below 250 miles, then 200, then 150 and then, sometimes, 100.
Yes, Tesla has started covering some of these recently. It just stood out to me looking at this extra long route north from L.A. to Boise and realizing there just isn't a north/south interstate at all near that. It's almost exclusively 395/95. And granted, it's great that Tesla put some in the barren wasteland nothingness along there, like Inyokern and Lone Pine, but it still bugs me how that Winnemucca gap still sits there.

Nice find! I'd be tempted to count the Amarillo supercharger for US-60 (at least it's in the same city), but I see it's a diversion of several miles from US-60 proper.
For US highways, I allow a total 10 mile diversion, but I use diversion from and back to about the same point where practicable. For that it's outside 10 miles.

In reality, a larger overall diversion from US-60 using the city loop would be less diversion, but then if you're OK with diverting from the highway you'd take the southeast of the city loop, and then the Amarillo Supercharger is a relatively short but time-consuming (15 minutes) diversion.

Reactions: Tectonic
I have a separate list of spacing along US Numbered Highways and some of those gaps are very long if you're following the highway and don't want significant diversion.

The thing is that in contrast to Interstates, an individual US Numbered Highways is often not the fastest route, so a _faster_ diversion can get you to a Supercharger by an Interstate or other highway.

A useful list of gaps on US Numbered Highways would likely need to be more selective.

Still, my sense of completion means I am tracking along US highways, and it's clear that Tesla is filling in holes along many of those in as well. It's nerd-exciting to me when the largest gap drops below 250 miles, then 200, then 150 and then, sometimes, 100.

And yes, I have a lot of manual processes, and yes I should work more on automating it, but I'm a procrastinator.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have and are doing a masterly job!

This is how I see the US Numbered Highway system:

Since many of them were eliminated entirely or truncated from their original alignments once the Interstate System was under construction, they have been relegated to shorter segments of utility. Even though the highway may span several states and over a thousand miles, as a rule travelers won't cover much of the route. In fact, for a person to get from A to B, the quickest way may be a combination of US Highways: Take US X from A to A', then head off on US Y from A' to A", finally turning on US Z to get to B. For example, to get from Albuquerque to Kansas City, Apple maps suggests taking I-40 to Tucumcari, then NE on US54 to Liberal KS, then head north on US83 to US 160, then east back to US 54 to US 400 to US 50 at Hutchinson KS finally returning to the Interstate Highway System and I-35 to reach Kansas City. Clearly the Supercharger network does not come anywhere close to fulfilling this route. And I am sure that there are lots of people who want to go between those two metropolitan areas. Maybe not a lot of Teslans today, but still.....

So it gets tricky in determining how much of a US Numbered Highway should be included in your database. US395, US95, US50, and US6 come to mind, but I am sitting in California. Those highways are the only ones in much of the geography without driving countless miles out of the way.

Since many of them were eliminated entirely or truncated from their original alignments once the Interstate System was under construction, they have been relegated to shorter segments of utility. Even though the highway may span several states and over a thousand miles, as a rule travelers won't cover much of the route. In fact, for a person to get from A to B, the quickest way may be a combination of US Highways: Take US X from A to A', then head off on US Y from A' to A", finally turning on US Z to get to B. For example, to get from Albuquerque to Kansas City, Apple maps suggests taking I-40 to Tucumcari, then NE on US54 to Liberal KS, then head north on US83 to US 160, then east back to US 54 to US 400 to US 50 at Hutchinson KS finally returning to the Interstate Highway System and I-35 to reach Kansas City. Clearly the Supercharger network does not come anywhere close to fulfilling this route. And I am sure that there are lots of people who want to go between those two metropolitan areas. Maybe not a lot of Teslans today, but still.....

So it gets tricky in determining how much of a US Numbered Highway should be included in your database. US395, US95, US50, and US6 come to mind, but I am sitting in California. Those highways are the only ones in much of the geography without driving countless miles out of the way.
I think that's one of the difference between US highways west of the Rockies vs east of them. In the western US, there are lots of drives/regions where you're off the interstates and just taking a single US highway for a long stretch because it's really the only route available.

I think that's one of the difference between US highways west of the Rockies vs east of them. In the western US, there are lots of drives/regions where you're off the interstates and just taking a single US highway for a long stretch because it's really the only route available.
Yeah, I was wondering if that was serious when he was talking about diversions of 10 miles. The diversions out here in the West are hundreds of miles.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have and are doing a masterly job!

This is how I see the US Numbered Highway system:

In my college days, I used to drive between western Illinois and Tucson. Drove US 54 a lot - between Wichita and El Paso. So for nostalgia sake, it is one route I keep an eye on. Was slightly miffed that Tesla built the Supercharger site at Clayton, rather than Dalhart...

Indeed. California also has a number of state routes that go for long distances like SR78 (Oceanside to Blythe); SR89 (Mt. Shasta City to US395 just shy of the Nevada line); SR20 (Ft. Bragg to the junction with I80 west of Donner Pass); SR96 (Willow Creek to I-5 north of Yreka).

No doubt many other states have similar state routes to cover longer distances--Montana has highway 200 for example that cuts across the center of the state.

Reactions: Prairie
Indeed. California also has a number of state routes that go for long distances like SR78 (Oceanside to Blythe); SR89 (Mt. Shasta City to US395 just shy of the Nevada line); SR20 (Ft. Bragg to the junction with I80 west of Donner Pass); SR96 (Willow Creek to I-5 north of Yreka).

No doubt many other states have similar state routes to cover longer distances--Montana has highway 200 for example that cuts across the center of the state.

CA-20 has Williams, CA and Yuba City, CA. Largest gap is 129 miles from the start at US-101 Fort Bragg, CA (Fort Bragg, CA has a Supercharger as well).
CA-78 has San Marcos, CA and Santa Ysabel, CA open. Largest gap is 165.4 miles from Santa Ysabel, CA to the end at I-10 Blythe, CA
CA-89 has Tahoe City, CA and Truckee - Donner Pass, CA. Large gap of 263.3 miles from Truckee - Donner Pass, CA to the end at I-5 Mount Shasta, CA. However, the fastest route from Truckee - Donner Pass, CA to the end goes through Susanville, CA.
CA-96 is the only one listed above that doesn't have a Supercharger. Not many places for one. Maybe Happy Camp, CA, which (I now know) is at the intersection of a summer route up to Oregon.

Splitter! I-26 Asheville - Biltmore Part, NC is under construction between Asheville, NC and North Charleston, SC.
OK, it's only 5.7 miles from Asheville, NC, and with the diversion leaves 248.5 miles to go, but it is version 3, compared to the v2 at Asheville, NC so will slightly shorten the gap and allow faster charging.

Reactions: vanjwilson
Splitter! I-26 Asheville - Biltmore Part, NC is under construction between Asheville, NC and North Charleston, SC.
OK, it's only 5.7 miles from Asheville, NC, and with the diversion leaves 248.5 miles to go, but it is version 3, compared to the v2 at Asheville, NC so will slightly shorten the gap and allow faster charging.
Splitter lol. This definitely does NOT count for I-26. The entire state of SC is without a SC on I-26 until terminus in Charleston. This also assumes everyone comes down I-26 from Asheville whereas a lot of people come from Greenville down I-385 to I-26 to the coast as well.

Last edited:
Splitter!
Mooresville, NC is under construction. This will split the 129 mile gap from Charlotte - Northlake Centre Pkwy, NC to Wytheville, VA.

But, Mooresville, NC is only 19.2 miles from Charlotte - Northlake Centre Pkwy, NC and still leaves a 112.7 mile gap fom Mooresville, NC to Wytheville, VA. Hamptonville, NC would split that quite well, as it would be on US-421 as well.

For example, to get from Albuquerque to Kansas City, Apple maps suggests taking I-40 to Tucumcari, then NE on US54 to Liberal KS, then head north on US83 to US 160, then east back to US 54 to US 400 to US 50 at Hutchinson KS finally returning to the Interstate Highway System and I-35 to reach Kansas City. Clearly the Supercharger network does not come anywhere close to fulfilling this route.
This is true, however, I did take approximately this route last year and it was doable but a bit sporty. Luckily, a local energy company has installed banks of CCS/CHAdeMO stations along US 54, mid-way. I used the CHAdeMO adapter. The biggest issues I ran into, though were that the Tesla Wall Charger at the Hampton Inn in Liberal, KS only supports 15 amps - way too slow for a good overnight charge. Fortunately, its J-1772 supports the full 30 amps enabling an overnight full charge. Strong headwinds were also a problem so I diverted to Dodge City where the distillery kindly provided auxiliary charging and their own brew of hand sanitizer.

Reactions: wws and PLUS EV
Splitter!
Elizabethtown, KY is under construction.
It is on I-65, splitting the 105.9 mile gap from Bowling Green, KY to Louisville - Preston Hwy, KY.
It's 70.1 miles from Bowling Green, KY to Elizabethtown, KY, and 36.5 miles from Elizabethtown, KY to Louisville - Preston Hwy, KY.

But also it's by I-65 at the eastern end of the West Kentucky Parkway, not far south of the western end of the Bluegrass Parkway, so together with Beaver Dam, KY will split the gap along the Parkways from Kuttawa, KY to Lexington, KY.

It's also on US-31 and splits the largest gap on US-31 (Bowling Green, KY to Indianapolis, IN) of 236.7 miles to 76.5 miles and what will be the largest gap of 160.2 miles.

Splitter! I-26 Asheville - Biltmore Park, NC is under construction between Asheville, NC and North Charleston, SC.
This is now Open, and has become Asheville - Thetford St, NC.

Also, Liberty, MO is now open. Splits 109.6 miles, 33.8 from Olathe, KS, 76.7 miles to Bethany, MO.
There are currently 7 >=100 mile splitters on Interstates under construction, and 3 with identified locations.

Reactions: KJD