Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Myrtle Creek, OR is open. Splits the 138.4 mile gap on I-5, 46.9 miles from Grants Pass, OR, 92.4 miles to Springfield, OR.
The largest gap on I-5 is now the 92.4 miles from Myrtle Creek, OR to Springfield, OR making it another Interstate with the largest gap under 100 miles.

Nevada, MO is open. Splits the 148.3 mile gap on I-49, 67.4 miles from Joplin, MO, 82.2 miles from the End, at I-435 near Kansas City, MO.
That leaves the biggest gap along I-49-plus-roughly-Future-I-49 as 185.9 miles from Texarkana, TX to Van Buren, AR. (Van Buren,AR will actually be bypassed by Future I-49.)

There are nine pending splitters, 6 under construction, and 3 with identified locations.

I'm just now seeing this thread. Not surprised to see Arkansas so prominently displayed in the top spots. Yay red necks. Woo pig.

I said I'd buy a Tesla when they put a supercharger in the state. I've had the car over a year now and we're up to five superchargers. At least I can leave the state when I want to.

Reactions: 1101011
Veedersburg, IN under construction. One I'd missed from my list.
Splits 114.4 miles on I-74, 56.9 miles from Champaign, IL and 59.4 miles to Speedway, IN.
So 7 splitters under construction.
(Veedersburg, IN is also on US-41 where it's a partial splitter of 193.3 miles, being 58.1
from Terre Haute, IN and 135.7 to Grand Avenue, IL. It's not on the fastest route to Chicago, though.)

Last edited:
Splitter! I-26 Asheville - Biltmore Part, NC is under construction between Asheville, NC and North Charleston, SC.
OK, it's only 5.7 miles from Asheville, NC, and with the diversion leaves 248.5 miles to go, but it is version 3, compared to the v2 at Asheville, NC so will slightly shorten the gap and allow faster charging.

Speaking of US numbered highway routes, the quickest way from Charlotte to Asheville is I-85 West to US-74 to I-26.

Google Maps says that from center of Charlotte to this new Thetford St. location is 115 miles.

Not as bad as a lot of the distances out West, but for those coming from the Charlotte area to the southern NC mountains, it would be nice not to have to go through Asheville, even when there is a more direct route. I'm surprised they didn't put one first at Hendersonville, NC, which about 12 miles further south on I-26, and would have split the I-26 gap better.

Speaking of US numbered highway routes, the quickest way from Charlotte to Asheville is I-85 West to US-74 to I-26.

Google Maps says that from center of Charlotte to this new Thetford St. location is 115 miles.

Not as bad as a lot of the distances out West, but for those coming from the Charlotte area to the southern NC mountains, it would be nice not to have to go through Asheville, even when there is a more direct route. I'm surprised they didn't put one first at Hendersonville, NC, which about 12 miles further south on I-26, and would have split the I-26 gap better.
Tesla's approach to I-26 from Asheville to Charleston is one big mystery and leaves major gaps. A good splitter for what you are referring to would be in Columbus at the interchange between US-74 and I-26, as it services the I-26 corridor as well. I'm also very confused why Asheville needs 3 SC's, but I won't complain about a build out anywhere.

Reactions: vanjwilson
The Beaver, UT to Page, AZ gap is about 189 miles, uphill Eastbound with occasional headwinds. Had family w little kids caught there once in an unexpected temperature drop to -30F. Luckily they had a mobile charger and larger 220v adapters. I found them an RV park to wait out the storm.

Yes. you can go around through St. George but even with the new supercharging station it adds 60 miles. Used to be more like 70.

It would be interesting to see some of the more inconvenient splits. I’m sure there are worse.

By the way, there is a destination charger near an excellent restaurant midway in Kanab for those that brave the Beaver-Page leg.

Reactions: bruce4000
Chattanooga, TN to Knoxville, TN. It’d be nice to see one between them.
If I recall correctly, the Chattanooga - Nashville - Knoxville triangle was the first place in the US to have DCFC coverage when The DOE's EV Project installed CHAdeMO chargers to support Nissan's Leaf rollout. Although an adapter would be needed for Tesla's, one could argue that it is the last place we currently need a Supercharger.
It also isn't clear why Manchester doesn't solve any questions in the Chattanooga - Knoxville leg.

The Beaver, UT to Page, AZ gap is about 189 miles, uphill Eastbound with occasional headwinds. Had family w little kids caught there once in an unexpected temperature drop to -30F. Luckily they had a mobile charger and larger 220v adapters. I found them an RV park to wait out the storm.

Yes. you can go around through St. George but even with the new supercharging station it adds 60 miles. Used to be more like 70.

It would be interesting to see some of the more inconvenient splits. I’m sure there are worse.

By the way, there is a destination charger near an excellent restaurant midway in Kanab for those that brave the Beaver-Page leg.
I'd love a Supercharger in Kanab, but we basically plan our trips through there to stay overnight and use the Wall Chargers at the La Quinta - There are some at the Days Inn too (same owner of both hotels I think) and there are some other options in town too.

Reactions: bruce4000
If I recall correctly, the Chattanooga - Nashville - Knoxville triangle was the first place in the US to have DCFC coverage when The DOE's EV Project installed CHAdeMO chargers to support Nissan's Leaf rollout. Although an adapter would be needed for Tesla's, one could argue that it is the last place we currently need a Supercharger.
It also isn't clear why Manchester doesn't solve any questions in the Chattanooga - Knoxville leg.

I've sometimes wondered if Tesla uses CHAdeMO adapter use as a 'probe' to find out where the need for future Superchargers is. Seems like it would be easy to have the fleet report CHAdeMO use. Then create a list of hot spots sorted by frequency of use.

You may have confused Knoxville with Nashville. Manchester doesn't help the Chattanooga-Knoxville trip.

Reactions: Chados
You may have confused Knoxville with Nashville. Manchester doesn't help the Chattanooga-Knoxville trip.
good point. I glanced at Plugshare and both city names were blocked by lots of chargers (that's a good thing). I should have realized that Manchester is to the northwest of Chattanooga while I know that Knoxville (Go Vols) is to the northeast.
I guess that's a 5 yd penalty to me?

• Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV
Exactly. I am still fighting with someone in another thread, who is vociferously arguing that a 255 mile gap between cities still has no need for a Supercharger because it's flyover country and isn't between Los Angeles and San Francisco.
And they will remain nameless, even if everybody is thinking of names.

BTW, Mesquite, NV opened.
I-15 121.9 miles
Las Vegas - Central Parkway NV -> 80.1 miles -> Mesquite, NV -> 42.9 miles -> St. George, UT

For >=100 miles spacing, since I started recording: 20 open, 6 under construction, 3 permit/identified location, 102 nothing.
(Mismatches other data I have by a few so I need to double-check)

I've updated the first post with the opening of Asheville - Thetford St.

15 yard penalty for complaining about a <100 mile gap
It‘s 112 miles. And the supercharger in Chattanooga is in a terrible location, it’s at the airport behind a parking gate and a lot of cars have been damaged trying to get into it, on a curb you hit when navigating the entrance. It might as well not be there. I run straight through from Adairsville, GA, which is 156 miles.

Until charging opportunities are as easy to find and get into as gas stations on the road, EVs aren’t going to go mainstream. EV road tripping requires strategy, and when they open up the superchargers to non-Teslas it’s going to be crowded. I drove from Tampa, FL to Lexington, KY and back, on I-75, last weekend, and every supercharger was busy. In Knoxville at Brookeville Centre there was a line.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
It‘s 112 miles. And the supercharger in Chattanooga is in a terrible location, it’s at the airport behind a parking gate and a lot of cars have been damaged trying to get into it, on a curb you hit when navigating the entrance. It might as well not be there. I run straight through from Adairsville, GA, which is 156 miles.

Until charging opportunities are as easy to find and get into as gas stations on the road, EVs aren’t going to go mainstream. EV road tripping requires strategy, and when they open up the superchargers to non-Teslas it’s going to be crowded. I drove from Tampa, FL to Lexington, KY and back, on I-75, last weekend, and every supercharger was busy. In Knoxville at Brookeville Centre there was a line.
It's actually 91.0 miles and 98.8 miles to the new supercharger in Knoxville. Not sure where you are getting 112 from.

I agree with most of the rest of your post, but I don't really think it fits the topic of this thread. The airport superchargers sucks and I think I ran into that curb myself the first time I went there. They're finally putting in new superchargers to "replace" the supercharger at the Savannah airport and I'm surprised there's nothing in the works for Chattanooga.