Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pathetic Splitter!

Pathetic Splitter! On I-81 Wilkes-Barre Township, PA splits 115.2 miles, 103.2 miles from Harrisburg, PA, 14.5 miles to Moosic, PA.
Opening now it would split the #36 gap and move it down to joint #62nd.

Actually will be a very good v3 site as it's in a v2 stretch on I-81 and the I-80/I-81/I-84 connection.

Top 25:
4 Construction (2 Pathetic!)
8 Permit (5 Pathetic!, plus 1 so big it'll make a Top 25 and a >100!)
13 no Splitter!

72 total remaining:
8 Construction (3 Pathetic!)
16 Permit (7 Pathetic!)
48 no Splitter!

Wilkes-Barre, PA opened on 10/26/2023
After the new OKC Supercharger opened, it would have become the #25 on the list
The new, smaller gap of 103.2 is now joint #47 on my list.
Indicates how many gaps have been filled since late May.

This is Open. However, I am Away From Spreadsheet. I have something to do when I get back from vacation. Currently at a cold drizzly English seaside town with my wife who is very happy to be by the sea, weather be damned.

Why was I so excited about this? With the new Oklahoma City - NE 36th St site, open:
I-44 maximum gap is reduced from 242.1 miles to 144.3 miles. (Alternatively it avoids a significant diversion to the old, busy OKC Supercharger).
I-35 maximum gap is reduced from 155.4 miles to 125.9 miles. (Alternatively it avoids a significant diversion to the old, busy OKC Supercharger).
I-40 maximum gap is reduced very slightly from 194.3 miles to 187.9 miles.

#25 is now I-15, 114.7 miles from Beaver - 525 W, UT to Nephi - S Main St, UT. This gap is expected to be split by an identified location in Scipio, UT (Permit status on Supercharge.info), which splits the gap 80.4 miles and 34.9 miles.

Reactions: KJD
Again, let me plug to use your Supercharger Voting powers for good! Vote to splits the gaps!
SeqHwyFromStateToStateGapSplitterStateToFromNote
4I-40KingmanAZFlagstaffAZ1472023Q4 Vote Seligman, AZ!
19I-64LexingtonKYHuntingtonWV121.52023Q4 Vote Morehead, KY!
24I-15Great FallsMTEnd (Canada @ Sweet GrassMT)118.82023Q4 Vote Shelby, MT!

(I also voted for: Waycross, GA, which is in the largest gap on US-1, as well as being on several other US Numbered Highways; Auld's Cove, NS, which is one of the locations needed for a Supercharger route to Cape Breton.)

Last edited:
Reactions: TexaCali
Again, let me plug to use your Supercharger Voting powers for good! Vote to splits the gaps!

(I also voted for: Waycross, GA, which is in the largest gap on US-1, as well as being on several other US Numbered Highways; Auld's Cove, NS, which is one of the locations needed for a Supercharger route to Cape Breton.)

Seligman is a great Historic Route 66 stop as well. (Road Kill Cafe, some fun little tourist shops, etc.) It is interesting that four of the top six are now on I-40.

Open Splitter!

On I-24, Nashville - Dickerson Pike, TN splits 104 miles, 99.9 miles from Kuttawa, KY and 7.2 miles to Nashville - 11th Ave N, TN.

Reactions: RTPEV
Open Splitter!

On I-24, Nashville - Dickerson Pike, TN splits 104 miles, 99.9 miles from Kuttawa, KY and 7.2 miles to Nashville - 11th Ave N, TN.
That moves my "favorite" gap (Harrisburg, PA to Moosic, PA) into the #25 spot, although that one has a newly opened splitter (Supercharger - Wilkes-Barre,PA) so it probably falls off the list (at least temporarily--it's not a great splitter). My other "favorite" gap has no known splitter in the works, so I am expecting it to make an appearance on the list at some point in the not too distant future.

Splitter! (Alternative). On I-10, if San Antonio - E Basse Rd, TX doesn't open first, Luling, TX will split 100.2 miles, 73.2 miles from San Antonio, TX, 30.4 miles to Flatonia, TX.

Luling, TX is open! The smallest remaining gap over 100 miles is now on I-80, 100.9 miles from Cheyenne, WY to Sidney, NE.

Also, I have adjusted my full list so Bangor - Broadway, ME (Construction) is now the splitter for Waterville, ME to Medway, ME. I previously had Newport, ME (Permit) as the splitter. Brewer, ME is a 10.7 mile diversion which exceeds my 10 mile limit.

Current Splitter statuses:

StatusPatheticTotal
Permit36
Construction35
None045

Last edited:

Splitter! Open!

On I-65, Columbus, IN splits 114 miles, 74.1 miles from Louisville, KY, 40.3 miles to Indianapolis - E Southport Rd, IN.

The largest gap on I-65 is now reduced below 100 miles, to 94.2 miles from Mobile, AL to Evergreen, AL.

Splitter! On I-75 splits 101.3 miles, 11.3 miles from Knoxville - Brookview Centre Way, TN, 91.2 miles to London, KY

Powell, TN is Open. This was the 2nd smallest remaining split over 100 miles.

Reactions: RTPEV
Just pathetic splitter!

On I-10 El Paso - Eastlake Blvd, TX will split 130.5 miles, 28 miles from El Paso, TX, 103.3 miles to Van Horn, TX.
That's #18 in the table of largest gaps. The pathetic split will create a new gap way further down my list of gaps greater than 100 miles.

El Paso - Eastlake Blvd, TX is now Open.

#25 is now 114.5 miles, I-40 Albuquerque - Louisiana Blvd NE, NM to Santa Rosa, NM. November Between them a location was identified in Moriarty, NM that split the gap 36.4 miles, 80.3 miles. However, multiple were found at Blake's Lotaburger but they haven't (yet) amounted to anything.

Reactions: Baluchi
@ItsNotAboutTheMoney - just curious - you list 5 gaps of 150+ miles on interstates. However, the updated list on this thread seems to only list 3. Curious what the other two are?

That's probably just because the count tables include some "Future Interstate" gaps. I haven't excluded them in my count calculations.

But also, note that the counts in those tables are the simplified minimum number of Superchargers needed to reduce the maximum gap to below the number of miles. (Simplified because it ignores concurrencies and intersection locations that could split gaps on more than one highway. So the real number required should be much smaller for the smaller mile numbers). So there could be larger gaps that require multiple Superchargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevor Burch

The Kingman to Flagstaff gap got me two years ago in a Model 3 RWD. It was scorching hot and the car insisted I detour down to Wickenburg, otherwise I'd never make it to Flagstaff. I should have just pressed on, but not knowing how much the climb would drain I chickened out and took the painfully long detour. Put a huge delay in my schedule, but at least I got to visit a cute little town....

Photo is looking directly across the street from the charging station. I'll be making the same drive again in a few months....a charger in Seligman would sure be nice....
PXL_20220707_001126964 - Copy.jpg

The Kingman to Flagstaff gap got me two years ago in a Model 3 RWD. It was scorching hot and the car insisted I detour down to Wickenburg, otherwise I'd never make it to Flagstaff. I should have just pressed on, but not knowing how much the climb would drain I chickened out and took the painfully long detour. Put a huge delay in my schedule, but at least I got to visit a cute little town....
I-40 is certainly a tough place. There just aren't many places to even put a charger along many long stretches.
You might have been able to just slow down and make it instead of taking the detour though.

Reactions: TexaCali