Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Largest US coal-producer files for bankruptcy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
The coal industry has faced a myriad of problems in recent years, including proposed regulation from the Obama administration to cut greenhouse gas emissions from the nation's coal-burning power plants. The industry refers to those regulations as Obama's "war on coal."

While the new regulations have been put on hold by the Supreme Court, the industry has faced a number of other economic woes, including significantly lower prices for natural gas, which is a competing fuel used by electric utilities, and slowing economic growth in China, a major market for U.S. coal.

Renewable sources of energy are also getting much cheaper, further squeezing demand.

Arch Coal (ACI), which owns the second-largest U.S. coal reserves behind Peabody, filed for bankruptcy in January.

Top U.S. coal company Peabody Energy files for bankruptcy

At CERA, the head of the Chinese state grid must have really burst some peoples bubbles.

Somebody previously posted this link:
“Base load” power: a myth used to defend the fossil fuel industry

Coal use has fallen in China, and China is essentially aiming to eliminate coal and oil use for electricity, and replacing them with renewables. They're adding capacity, but utilization continues to fall. Coal use has fallen several percentage points over the last couple of years.

China signed a major natural gas deal with Russia, and fairly recently banned all imports of brown coal. So it's not just coal electricity they want to cut out, they're looking to replace solid fuel heating with natural gas as well.

With the current slowdown in China, plus their combined push for renewables for electricity, electricity for transportation, and natural gas for heat, what people might have felt to be a long-term growth market for coal and oil, isn't going to provide the growth that was expected.

Now that was an interesting read. Coming from the power side, I didn't know much about Met coal. I do feel for the miners. That's why you never trust your retirement to a company pension, companies don't last forever.

I doubt it. He is a business man who knows the value of letting market forces set the evolution of an industry. He would just let the industry die.

really?

"Other elements of Mr. Trump’s energy proposals appear less viable. As coal mining jobs have declined, Mr. Trump has vowed to fully restore their numbers.

“We’re going to bring back the coal industry, save the coal industry,” he said. “I love those people.”

really?

"Other elements of Mr. Trump’s energy proposals appear less viable. As coal mining jobs have declined, Mr. Trump has vowed to fully restore their numbers.

“We’re going to bring back the coal industry, save the coal industry,” he said. “I love those people.”

It's political posturing. He tells the oil industry they will get more jobs, the coal the same, and if he visits west texas I am sure he will be "impressed with wind".

The only take-away is to look at business and I am sure there are now far more jobs from renewables than the coal industry, and he's not stupid enough to rock that boat.