Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last In First Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put down $2,500 down on a white LR AWD Model Y with FSD in March of 2019. My neighbor put $100 down on the same exact configuration in February of this year. He has been contacted to take delivery. I have not. How could that be?

I'm hoping it is random. The less nobel option is because they collect more money selling to those who pay more for the car and put down less (recent orders). Cash flow is helped by filling late orders first.

I put down $2,500 down on a white LR AWD Model Y with FSD in March of 2019. My neighbor put $100 down on the same exact configuration in February of this year. He has been contacted to take delivery. I have not. How could that be?
Because the Tesla reservation system means nothing in terms of when you get your vehicle. This has been the case from the original roadster on.

I don’t know why people keep falling for it. I guess they must like giving out interest-free loans.

My guess is that Tesla has collected some data that says people who reserve on day zero seldom cancel, and that the more recent the reservation, the more likely they'll cancel.

I mean, at least I hope there some logic behind all this. Otherwise, seeing people who reserved LAST WEEK getting cars when countless others have been waiting nearly 15 months is a slap in the face.

I am glad I’m not the only one who’s feeling this way... this is ridiculous.. I also prepaid $2,500 last year and seriously have not heard a single thing from Tesla. I never got the email most people did in March. I didn’t get the text that apparently everybody got today. My model has definitely been delivered, its not like a rare color or anything.

White/Black/20” Wheels/No FSD/No Hitch. Tesla financing. Everything already filled out.

I’m super happy for people who’s getting their cars, but it just blows my mind to see people get deliveries who just ordered recently.

I honestly don’t know what their thought process is. Even people with Gemini’s which is cheaper than the 20” wheels are getting deliveries. So the more revenue and higher sales isn’t completely their thought process either.

My first guess was geography but you said neighbor so I'm assuming you are very close to each other physically. Have you completed the steps that you were suppose to do? (e.g. specifying payment method, upload driver's license, etc.). The next guess is what others have noted, the simpler option (e.g. cash no trade-in) Of course, as others suggested, sometimes it is just random.

I ordered in Nov 2019, just picked up today in the Bay Area, possibly similar specs as you. I expected to be later because we're local to the factory so these days we get deliveries towards the end of the quarter because they don't have to ship. I financed but had no trade-in.

I'm in the same boat. Reserved mine on 3/17/19 and have seen the same configuration delivered to folks that ordered long after me and didn't put the $2500 down. I think Tesla is doing a number of things to maximize their profit. 1. Deliver cars that at paid for first, so if you have financing, trade-ins, etc., you move back in line. 2. Deliver to those close by or on designated shipping routes. So if you are close to the factory, you stand a better chance of getting your car. 3. You live somewhere that doesn't have screwed up laws in regard to dealerships and delivery. I'm screwed as I live in Texas and our legislature only supports the good ol' boy dealership model. They don't like direct marketing.

I agree, I've learned my lesson. If I were to ever buy another Tesla product, I'll wait and not put down a sizable deposit. To be honest I feel taken advantage of. Tesla needs to do something to those of us that plunked down $2500. Even if it is a free t-shirt that says "I put down $2500 and all I got was a car delivered later that it should have been".

Reactions: chengka