Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late '15 Purchase question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any thoughts on a late '15/early '16 Model S purchase?

More specifically, anyone worried about just missing possible new features early/mid '16 such as upgraded auto-pilot hardware, new ventilated seats etc?

Will the Model X launch drive the Mode S market down? It would be interesting to see how many people will sell off S's for X's. I'm not really interested in an X due to it's soft/soccer mom looks.

More specifically, anyone worried about just missing possible new features early/mid '16 such as upgraded auto-pilot hardware, new ventilated seats etc?

Will the Model X launch drive the Mode S market down? It would be interesting to see how many people will sell off S's for X's. I'm not really interested in an X due to it's soft/soccer mom looks.

For what its worth, I am fairly convinced that they will release the ventilated seats soon.
(this is based solely on the fact that I had been holding off on my order for them and earlier this month finally got tired of waiting and ordered an S without them.)

The next new thing is always just a few weeks/months away.

Changes can come pretty much out of nowhere. I recall the LTE upgrade coming with cars built in late May/early June of this year. If you're happy with the Model S' current features, go ahead and buy one!

I do get the feeling that we won't see any major changes on the Model S for a while though. I think Tesla is more concerned about producing the Model X at the moment.

In the same boat....

Hopefully upgrading my P85 in the near term. The more I think about it, I don't see any big S changes (nose, LED headlight, filter, seats) until early next year. IMO, Tesla will be very focused on trying to get to 50K in deliveries. So, any changes on the production line would be minimal.

With that said, I hope I'm wrong and some of these features show up before the end of the year.

I'm also curious to see what incentives appear after the referral goes away.

1. Extend referral for one more month? Thinking that all orders have to be placed before Thanksgiving to meet build time.
2. Is Tesla maxed out on build capacity? Wondering if they can produce more cars than ordered and add new incentives in December to boost sales (no money down on a lease, free Ludicrous upgrade, categorize them an Inventory cars).

Should be a fun two months. Earnings call is early Nov. (maybe an announcement soon to follow). Either way, I know once I upgrade there will be another cool feature that will be added shortly after.... :)

To the comments on ventilated seats -

This was the ONE feature I thought I was really going to miss with Tesla, having them and constantly using them in my previous car. Particularly in the Texas summers. However, I don't miss them nearly as much as I thought I would have. And certainly not enough to wait one more day for my Tesla! Everything else about the car will instantly make you forget about ventilated seats. Would they be nice to have, yes. Deal breaker? Hardly.

As other said, you can play that 'waiting for the next feature to come out' game into perpetuity. Just take the leap, you WILL NOT regret it.

waiting for the latest and greatest.

attachment.jpg
or come out soon.

To the comments on ventilated seats -

This was the ONE feature I thought I was really going to miss with Tesla, having them and constantly using them in my previous car. Particularly in the Texas summers. However, I don't miss them nearly as much as I thought I would have. And certainly not enough to wait one more day for my Tesla! Everything else about the car will instantly make you forget about ventilated seats. Would they be nice to have, yes. Deal breaker? Hardly.

As other said, you can play that 'waiting for the next feature to come out' game into perpetuity. Just take the leap, you WILL NOT regret it.

A to the men on this sentiment.
Heated seats? Can't do without them without major whining, if only in my head. Hate to ride in friends' non-heated seat cars if it's chilly at all. A heated seat is like a warm hug on a cold toushie, makes winter almost tolerable. :rolleyes:

Ventilated seats? Had them, meh. Don't have them currently, don't miss them. Not worth holding out for. :frown:

I'm trying to hold out as long as possible to capture the latest changes. Really want ventilated seats. My original purchase date was going to be Dec 1st (expecting a Feb delivery?) but I might push that out a month or two if there is more solid evidence of features coming. Mainly concerned with seats and nose cone changes.

I'm trying to hold out as long as possible to capture the latest changes. Really want ventilated seats. My original purchase date was going to be Dec 1st (expecting a Feb delivery?) but I might push that out a month or two if there is more solid evidence of features coming. Mainly concerned with seats and nose cone changes.

A couple of incentive-related notes, as they may be applicable to you in CA:

- The Calif. CVRP rebate is being income-limited; they haven't rolled out the changes yet but, are going to, shortly:

Fiscal Year 2015-16 Income Limit Changes | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

- If you get the car in the new year, you'd have to wait a whole year to claim the federal $7,500 credit (if you are buying, that is. Don't know how leases work with Tesla).

Make sure you place your order before the end of October to capture the $2K discount. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago but requested a Late March/Early April delivery. I was going to do the same thing as you and my service center suggested just delaying delivery which I didn't realize was an option.

Here is a 2K discount code, just note it only shows $1000 when you configure, but it will save you $2000 when you get the final paperwork.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Make sure you place your order before the end of October to capture the $2K discount. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago but requested a Late March/Early April delivery. I was going to do the same thing as you and my service center suggested just delaying delivery which I didn't realize was an option.

Here is a 2K discount code, just note it only shows $1000 when you configure, but it will save you $2000 when you get the final paperwork.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

interesting! I didn't know you could do that! When does production actually start?

Do you guys know if I select a February delivery I would be pretty safe getting a 2016 VIN? My dealer said there was a bunch of people doing that and he thinks I'd be almost guaranteed a 2016.

I would think so, but Tesla should be able to tell you for sure. From what I've read it only takes 5 days to build a car. At this point I don't think they would build a car they can't deliver in 2015. I'm sure they want to hit their sales goal for 2015 so they need all the production capacity for people that want their cars right away.