Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, haven't done anything yet, but I did talk to the Finalize at Tesla on the phone. Their suggestion, since my wife and I will both be deployed from sometime in March to sometime in May (the way it currently is), was that we just wait as long as we can (Feb. 11th before the price increase) to finalize. Thing is, they figure that they will still have my car ready by sometime in April (really impressive, but not helpful, hah). They then will only hold my car for 30 days before I forfeit it. Their recoommendation was to have someone else receive it for us. I was really looking forward to picking it up at the Factory (we live close enough), and wish they would just keep it there waiting for me if it does get ready at the wrong time.

They won't just set a "deliver no earlier than 1 June" date for me.

Additionally, our pay raise (which could completely pay the monthly loan payments) goes through in Feb/March, so I figured that would help ensure that I for sure can get the loan I need since I won't have the time to build the down payment up. However, if we could get the car before the pay raise, that wouldn't be something that helped us in the loan application. My bank (USAA), told me we should have no problem getting whatever loan we want (which was re-assurance since, other than my mortgage, I've never applied for a loan this large and had no clue on what they would say), however they couldn't guarantee anything without doing a pre-approval and pulling the credit. I don't want to do that until I actually need to because I'm paying a few things off to make it sparkly clean (cuz again, I have no clue what the bank will say).

If I do just finalize, sooner could help because I would (from the sounds of it) most likely be around to actually take a delivery, as waiting a month according to them won't push me back more than a month which I would need. It just puts more pressure on the loan application (and changing the wife's mind, it's her car anyway).

The worst part is that, being military, I can't guarantee that if we set a delivery date of 2 days from now that I wouldn't randomly get sent away for more than 30 days tomorrow and not be able to take delivery and forfeit our car....

Decisions Decisions at finalize time, and they aren't even in terms of what specs to get on the car... that's all figured out.

2 other notes from my conversation with them: They log previous conversations and who you talked with so that they can quick reference them (smart!), and they easily new exactly what specs we were planning on ordering (so they really do use the ones you've put into the system, it's not just for your reference). They also specifically mentioned our current specs were helping push us through fast... for those keeping track...

Also, it was recommended via PM to try the color red to force the date. The thing is we were debating between the red and the stormtrooper look and loved the stormtrooper look. We'd hate to pick a color based on forcing a date, rather than getting what we want (which is the point of special ordering). It's a little differnet than not deciding to wait for a new color, we have the option of getting what we want without waiting... we just want to wait, haha.

Well, haven't done anything yet, but I did talk to the Finalize at Tesla on the phone. Their suggestion, since my wife and I will both be deployed from sometime in March to sometime in May (the way it currently is), was that we just wait as long as we can (Feb. 11th before the price increase) to finalize.

They won't just set a "deliver no earlier than 1 June" date for me.

By deployed I'm assuming you're in the military. A bit unfortunate that Tesla couldn't find a way to accommodate you. You could try to swap places with someone, but you would need Tesla's cooperation to do that (and I don't think they would do it.) Even if Tesla permitted a swap, I don't think they would extend the grace period for the old pricing. It sounds like the best thing you can do is have a trusted friend receive it for you.

A

14417. Got the finalize email at 3:00. Then the debate... what size battery... hmmm.. 40kwh will work for 95% of what I will do (might be pushing the envelop with winter, degradation, speed, etc, but should still get me there), and I can use the wife's vehicle on longer travel days. On the other hand, 85kwh will cover 99% of what I do today, and immunize against future needs a bit (new job may require longer commutes/travel). ... so. drum roll please. What started out as a practical 40kwh, getting the car for $60k, is now a $90k vehicle with 85kwh battery. So crazy! Well, the finalize button is pressed. paper work tomorrow. deliver after that. decision made.

14417. Got the finalize email at 3:00. Then the debate... what size battery... hmmm.. 40kwh will work for 95% of what I will do (might be pushing the envelop with winter, degradation, speed, etc, but should still get me there), and I can use the wife's vehicle on longer travel days. On the other hand, 85kwh will cover 99% of what I do today, and immunize against future needs a bit (new job may require longer commutes/travel). ... so. drum roll please. What started out as a practical 40kwh, getting the car for $60k, is now a $90k vehicle with 85kwh battery. So crazy! Well, the finalize button is pressed. paper work tomorrow. deliver after that. decision made.

Why jump to the 85kw? You can do the 60 which also gives you supercharge access.

You rationalize just like I do.

First issue for me was that I wanted this a year ago when my Murano died (165k miles, rod knock). I couldn't wait a year - needed a car immediately. Rationalized on a fully loaded Range Rover Evoque Dynamic saying 'hey-it gets really good gas mileage". Well, they may market it that way, but it doesn't. I averaged 19mpg. I could get 20 on the Murano. Was spending $937/month on car payments + $630/month on gas. Crap. Felt like I got suckered, and guilty the entire time that I didnt get what I originally wanted. Then a stroke of luck. It was a lemon. SWEEEET. Returned it. RESERVATION PAYMENT MADE!!! Oh yeah!!!

"hmmm its only a $49k car (after taxes) and theres no sales tax in NJ for zero emission vehicles, the display is awesome and I'll never have to pay for gas again!" (ignoring the fact that it'll still cost some in electricity)
"the pano roof, tech package, and sound system are all definitely worth it"
"the 60kWh version is only $10k more and would give me longer range, but the supercharger option is only optional here"
"i dont know if I need the dual chargers + HPWC, but hey the federal tax credit was just reinstated for home chargers so might as well take advantage of that now"
"well I should get the 85kWh to buffer myself against battery degradation and resale value"
"oh screw it, you're already spending like $85k, and you'll be kicking yourself later that you didn't get the performance version, besides - the air suspension, leather seats, and supercharger are included" (hah, I know they are just worked into the price, and I'm just in denial about it and still rationalizing to myself)

Sooo Tesla, you got me to finalize on $103k car. As did a LOT of us here, probably all saying the same thing to ourselves. This is probably the worst case of rationalizing that I've ever done in my entire life. Brilliant. Just Brilliant. +1 Tesla. 0 Me. You win.

only thing I opted out of was the rear facing child seats. I'll probably order them in a year or two anyway. lol.

"oh screw it, you're already spending like $85k, and you'll be kicking yourself later that you didn't get the performance version, besides - the air suspension, leather seats, and supercharger are included" (hah, I know they are just worked into the price, and I'm just in denial about it and still rationalizing to myself)

Sooo Tesla, you got me to finalize on $103k car. As did a LOT of us here, probably all saying the same thing to ourselves. This is probably the worst case of rationalizing that I've ever done in my entire life. Brilliant. Just Brilliant. +1 Tesla. 0 Me. You win.
Well at least you can be proud you avoided taking the next rationalization step:
"Well, if I'm getting it fully loaded I might as well get Signature."

;)

How did you get into my brain and write exactly my rationalization??

Actually I started high, tried to cut costs, and ended up at $103k.

I also didn't order the 3rd row seats, but I've read on here you can't add them later (something about frame work before it's assembled). After I finalized I decided to ask if I could add the third row seats, but have gotten no response (sent emails to rep who had emailed me earlier, and also to the general reservation email address). I guess if they ignore my emails, it was meant to be... (But not a good thing for Tesla to ignore emails...)

"hmmm its only a $49k car (after taxes) and theres no sales tax in NJ for zero emission vehicles, the display is awesome and I'll never have to pay for gas again!" (ignoring the fact that it'll still cost some in electricity)
"the pano roof, tech package, and sound system are all definitely worth it"
"the 60kWh version is only $10k more and would give me longer range, but the supercharger option is only optional here"
"i dont know if I need the dual chargers + HPWC, but hey the federal tax credit was just reinstated for home chargers so might as well take advantage of that now"
"well I should get the 85kWh to buffer myself against battery degradation and resale value"

only thing I opted out of was the rear facing child seats. I'll probably order them in a year or two anyway. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I just called Tesla and they said the 3rd row seats can in fact be added later at a service center. (They said they were unable to change my order because it had already been submitted to the factory for assembly :) :) :) :) )

Thats #13,850 -- Black on Black Performance85, Panoramic Roof, 21" Silver Wheels, Obeche Matte, Tech Pkg, Sound Studio Pkg, Air Suspension, Twin Chargers, HPWC. Basically loaded minus the rear facing seats, parcel shelf, and paint armor.

compositor.jpeg

There was at least one report last Wednesday. If they do let anyone finalize today, I'm sure you'll be the first to post! :wink:

LOL. As my late great father in law used to say: "Ya got that right!" I have all kinds of errands to run but I'm sitting here going back and forth between this forum and my dashboard. Planning ona quick post when (if) I get it and then finalize. Hope it happens today. We're leaving on vacation tomorrow and as obsessed as I am my wife might not enjoy it. :smile:

LOL. As my late great father in law used to say: "Ya got that right!" I have all kinds of errands to run but I'm sitting here going back and forth between this forum and my dashboard. Planning ona quick post when (if) I get it and then finalize. Hope it happens today. We're leaving on vacation tomorrow and as obsessed as I am my wife might not enjoy it. :smile:

Al, just so you know, the obsession doesn't ease much after you finalize. I spent the morning working on insurance quotes for the Model S....just now dropped out of a meeting to check MY TESLA on the crazy chance that someone canceled my exact order and the delivery button was there....
The folks that waited years should be up for Sainthood.
Dennis

Al, just so you know, the obsession doesn't ease much after you finalize. I spent the morning working on insurance quotes for the Model S....just now dropped out of a meeting to check MY TESLA on the crazy chance that someone canceled my exact order and the delivery button was there....
The folks that waited years should be up for Sainthood.
Dennis

Maybe so but you get all the fresh pizza you can eat. My wife says if all I do is stare at the computer, I have to eat Tuna Salad!

Me too!!!
P14,835. Email at 730EST. Finalized at 735EST.

Performance/Air Force Academy Blue/Tan/Obeche Gloss/Tech/Sound/21 inch/Pano/Twins/HPWC

Delivery Feb-Mar. Not expecting it, but I'll sure take it then. Very exciting. 1 of the last two items on my bucket list is happening. The Grace of God.