Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to the person who called and was told it was stll an 8-9 month wait after finalizing... i've called and asked (because a delay would help me) and was told even if I waited until the end of my "must reserve before to recive 2012 prices" date I would likely be looking at April delivery at the latest....

This was me - the original information i received talked about Tesla wanting to finalize all 2012 pricing orders within January.

I finalized today, and called to ask a few questions - one of which was about the "revised" nearer term delivery estimates. I was given a solid explanation. In addition to the factory operating at a higher capacity, there a number of reservations that can't be built yet. I.E. 40kWh, standard suspension, 2013 red color, etc. Therefore - we get to leap these reservations while they wait for the necessary components to come in. While it would have been great to have the extra time to prepare - I'll take it!

Definitely. Until you click Finalize you can play around with options freely. If you've clicked finalize but not yet signed the MVPA you'd probably need to call, but they should be able to make requested changes and generate a new MVPA for you to sign.

That is what I was told also. He made a comment that if you chose Red now, there might be some flexibility since they will not send the order to production ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

I've no idea any more than anyone else how this sequencing works, but I wouldn't count on March.
I have a Feb/Mar window ... and I am 7,000+ "ahead" of you.
If we take simple logic and assume they'll build 20,000 this year, 1,600 a month ... or ramp up better and make 2,000 a month.
That's 4,000 for a 2 month window.
See my logic? I am also assuming I am March ... even though my contact told me to expect a VIN around 25th Jan. Maybe.

Your logic is fine. But, here is something to consider. They have supply chain delays on certain components and lots of inventory of other components. They probably purchase components with some forecasting. Well - you know about forecasting!! If your combination is one that happens to have everything, they will go into production to keep the lines working. Colors with most demand may be combined to get efficiency. That is the reality. The guy on the phone said my options have more demand and that it may flow through. There are a lot of 60, 40, Red, etc, combinations that are waiting for full set of parts. May be all this explains some of it.

called today about finalizing.... They said to expect an official answer to my dillemma today. Basically they were very adament that I would probably see the car very quickly if i finalized based on my configuration. They said it would probably wouldn't delay me much to wait the rest of the time before I am forced into the price increase. I asked about the possibility of waiting and then being pushed behind everyone else and a 2 month wait turning into 7 or 8, and they said it was possible, but the general tone was that they don't expect it. The only thing I can think is that if we are at 16,000 total people who can finalize, and we're already seeing vins in the 4,000s, that is 25%. If there are 20% of people who don't want air suspenseion, 20% of people who want red, and 33% of people who want 40KwH, it really quickly adds up to running out of people to give cars to...

Pressed the finalize button today .. 158xx .... decided to not go with the Performance as I struggled with the cost benefit of the $12k difference plus taxes....

P85, Grey,grey,pano, tech, sound, two chargers & HPWC

Congrats! I'm waiting for my finalize button, which should be up this coming Friday or Monday. It's hard to wait, especially since a friend let me drive his P85 today. I was speechless. Except for the expletives leaking out the side of the Tesla Grin plastered to my face. :wink:

Also, I think "P85" typically signifies "Performance 85", so if you decided not to go with performance, I think it's "85kWh" or just "85".

Frequenters of this forum, is there a thread or wiki page with Model S nomenclature to refute the above statement? I'd also like to nominate "pano", "blacktop", and "slicktop" (in deference to my 300ZX Twin Turbo days) to that list.

called today about finalizing.... They said to expect an official answer to my dillemma today. Basically they were very adament that I would probably see the car very quickly if i finalized based on my configuration. They said it would probably wouldn't delay me much to wait the rest of the time before I am forced into the price increase. I asked about the possibility of waiting and then being pushed behind everyone else and a 2 month wait turning into 7 or 8, and they said it was possible, but the general tone was that they don't expect it. The only thing I can think is that if we are at 16,000 total people who can finalize, and we're already seeing vins in the 4,000s, that is 25%. If there are 20% of people who don't want air suspenseion, 20% of people who want red, and 33% of people who want 40KwH, it really quickly adds up to running out of people to give cars to...
You obviously failed logic if you ever had any. What about the possibility that production rate is higher than you thought?

Not only did I get my finalize button yesterday,(which I already posted about) they sent me my docusign papers about an hour later. Took me an hour to review and send back. Then with in 30 minutes they were countersigned and I'm officially done.

Tesla is on a mad tare now. I just hope demand can keep up with their new found speed.

I think as the wait gets shorter it actually gets harder to wait.

I am reservation number 15810. I received the finalize button yesterday. Finished the finalize button signed the documents and received the signed documents back last night. I called Tesla and asked them if the Feb/Mar date is true since I was expecting July. They said Feb/Mar is expected. I am wondering if several reservation holders pulled out or their production really ramped up or both I guess. I did reserve a Model S performance version. Maybe several reservations before me were for other versions.

I just received the "IMPORTANT: Invitation to Configure Your Model S" email--I'm Reservation #15,960. Based on conversations with Portland Tesla Store employees at reservation, was expecting to receive the finalize email in Mar/Apr timeframe. I suppose this is good news--except I'm also searching for a new home, and was planning on getting home first, then Model S!

Just hit the finalize button for reservation #16,132!
I got the email at 4:51 pm pacific time today
The estimated delivery was listed as Feb/March, but lower down on the page it also said that typical orders took 3 months for delivery.

Here is the configuration I went with:
Blue Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Black Leather Interior
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
85 kWh Battery
Tech Package
Sound Studio Package
Active Air Suspension
Parcel Shelf

The Tesla marketing strategy worked perfectly on me. I originally planned to get the 40 kWh battery/tech package/air suspension/textile seats when I made the reservation to keep the price within reason (the air suspension is a requirement because we have a really steep driveway and the tech package was also on the must-have list since I swore I'd never buy another car without a good built-in nav system). But the more research I did, the more I thought about it, and the more I talked it over with my wife, the more I realized the 85 kWh battery was really what I needed to get the most out of this car. And once in "go big or go home" mode, the sound package and leather seats quickly followed. Now I enter the next phase of waiting . . .

Also just received "Invitation to Configure" email at 4:51 pm Pacific Time today.
Reservation #16,163.
And I thought scheduling my test drive on Feb. 1 was wishful thinking...

Congrats. I am reservation 16,400. I could get the email tomorrow. I bought a Chevy volt a few months ago to see if I liked driving EV. I figured it would be close to a year before I was in a model S. wow. If they are really ramping up to build so many cars, I hope they can get more sales outlets going to keep the factories humming later in 2013.

I figured it would be close to a year before I was in a model S. wow. If they are really ramping up to build so many cars, I hope they can get more sales outlets going to keep the factories humming later in 2013.

It is impressive indeed. Here's another milestone: my reservation was placed 20 Dec 2012 and I got the configure email today. So reserve-to-configure time is now down to 4 weeks...

I am 16,4xx and when I designed the car today to make changes it now shows a prep charge of $180 and Personal Delivery of $950????

Never seem that before on the itemized charges list.

I am planning on picking up the car in Fremont so I shouldn't have to pay for personal delivery.

I am 16,4xx and when I designed the car today to make changes it now shows a prep charge of $180 and Personal Delivery of $950????

Never seem that before on the itemized charges list.

I am planning on picking up the car in Fremont so I shouldn't have to pay for personal delivery.

You pay the $990 delivery + the $180 prep fee even if you pickup from the factory. Everyone pays the same wherever the delivery might be.

You pay the $990 delivery + the $180 prep fee even if you pickup from the factory. Everyone pays the same wherever the delivery might be.

So I am subsidizing the non-factory deliveries???

:(

Nice mark up. The exact stupid mark ups I always refuse to pay when I buy an ICE car.

Dealer prep is what the dealers call it. As if the car coming off the factory floor are not "ready".