Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a general question on OTA updates. Since Mid March I have received a couple already. What puzzles me is when there is a latest update being received by many of you I get an older version with a note that I have the latest. Why wouldn't I be getting what others are getting? I'm sure there must be a simple answer but the evidence doesn't compute.

For example- I had 12.1 when some were getting 12.5 and others 12.6 and 12.10. Same for 12.5 I got last week. This week I get 12.6 while I see others are getting 12.10.

I have a general question on OTA updates. Since Mid March I have received a couple already. What puzzles me is when there is a latest update being received by many of you I get an older version with a note that I have the latest. Why wouldn't I be getting what others are getting? I'm sure there must be a simple answer but the evidence doesn't compute.

For example- I had 12.1 when some were getting 12.5 and others 12.6 and 12.10. Same for 12.5 I got last week. This week I get 12.6 while I see others are getting 12.10.
I believe the updates are for different configurations of the car....the latest is for the Model Y

Since Mid March I have received a couple already. What puzzles me is when there is a latest update being received by many of you I get an older version with a note that I have the latest.

It is because there are multiple versions that are out that are the most recent at any one given time. Tesla doesn't use a single version across all models and configurations and therefore you may see something more recent in the forums or on TeslaFi while you car can still be on the "latest".

I think the statement that I have the latest software installed only means that I have INSTALLED all the software that has been downloaded, not that I have downloaded the latest out for my model S built in February. The only time I have seen the statement "latest..." change is after a new version was downloaded and I haven't selected to run the install yet. It then tells me I have a new software ready to install.

I don't see a way to pull a download from Tesla. Software versions seem to be pushed and Tesla decides when to push the version to the car.

When I received the car in March with mfg date of February, it came with a 2019 version at a time when many had earlier built cars already with 2020 version pushed to it as early as January.

All very confusing and the earlier 2019 version that my car came with had many problems. The 12.1 fixed the big ones but I had to wait 2 weeks before that was pushed. The service center just told me, it will come. The two worst issues I had with 2019 was the trunk wouldn't close with the button and the wifi signal was extremely weak forcing me to use my iphone on hotspot right next to the car's antenna to even log on to my wifi at home.

I'm just trying to understand how it all works.

Tesla pushes software out in batches so as not to overload their servers. This can take several days to several weeks for the entire fleet to be updated depending on how it is staged/staggered. For example, right now older Model S cars are receiving the 12.10 update which fixes USB music playback whereas newer Model S cars are getting 12.6 which introduces automatic stopping at traffic lights and stop signs.

Best advice is to set your software update option to 'Advanced' which means you will receive updates earlier in the rollout process.

Reactions: UkrHog