Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch mode for Tesla Model 3 thoughts (M3 Cheetah)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there is launch control, can it be FSD integrated? We arm the car then it react to the light signals by itself.

I like this, I suspect this may be easy to do, you dial-in a launch time, highlight or identify the tree on the display, and hold the throttle down. Then the car waits for the yellows to go off and counts down the launch for the green.

Only catch, is this racing anymore when the car can do 90% of the work? I guess we still have the job of sandbagging (to keep the other racers on their toes) or making sure we don't drift into the side rail guards.

Model S uses induction motors while the 3 uses a PMSR motor. One of the disadvantages to PMSR is that it's susceptible to torque ripple at low speeds. So I believe that's why the initial launch is less punchy in order to avoid torque ripple so unless the motor or motor design themselves change, we probably aren't going to see harder launches from the 3. Engineering Explained talked about this with his P3 in one of his YT videos. Go to about the 6 minute mark and he explains it.

Doesnt the new S have PMSR rear motor now? They dont seem to have a ripple issue :) Its limited on some extent on purpose! Also the 100kwh pack matters.

Doesnt the new S have PMSR rear motor now? They dont seem to have a ripple issue :) Its limited on some extent on purpose! Also the 100kwh pack matters.

I believe on Raven it's a reworked PMSR based on the rear 3 PMSR now in the front axle. But I thought it was still induction in the rear (where most of the power is sent) - not sure though

Last edited:
I believe on Raven it's a reworked PMSR based on the rear 3 PMSR now in the front axle. But I thought it was still induction in the rear (where most of the power is sent) - not sure though

You're correct, it's still the large induction in the rear for Raven X & S. PMSR in the front which gives the X incredible efficiently. I routinely see under 295wh/mi street roads and 335wh/mi highway at 75mph. Much better than pre-raven X's.

BT bandwidth doesn't support high levels of audio quality offered by some of the streaming services now. Just not enough room in the communication.

That was true of the earliest Bluetooth protocols but not 4.0 and 5.0 which support streaming at bit rates that allow you to play lossless files like Flac.