Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking 4-way valve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About six weeks ago I got an intermittent "coolant low - contact Tesla service" alert. A few days later I took out the frunk and found the coolant level was indeed low. I also discovered evidence of leakage underneath the 4-way valve (6007370-00-E). I can't be certain this is the source of the leak but it seems to be the most likely place to start.

I topped off the reservoir and just today received the low coolant alert today. So it's not a fast leak, but not something I want to deal with every six weeks.

Has anyone else had a similar slow leak? Has anyone else had this valve replaced?

Here are some pictures showing where I believe the leak is coming from.

IMG_4881 (1).JPG
IMG_4880 (1).JPG

Update: I ended up replacing the valve this weekend. After examining it more closely, there was significant fluid on the back of the valve, near the manifold. The hose connections themselves seemed to be dry. So my best guess was that the leak was coming from where the manifold attaches to the valve assembly.

Replacing it was a bit messy but straightforward. I clamped off each of the hoses, although none sealed perfectly. Working fast I lost a few quarts of coolant.

I drove around extensively on Saturday to help bleed the system and, after the level initially dropped, it has been holding steady.

had a few small puddles of blue fluid under my 2017 two weeks ago. (No warning lights were on yet). Looked identical to windshield washer fluid, but was oily residue and had much thicker viscosity than water/fluid. And it didnt evaporate. Took pics, scheduled an appointment. Was initially thought to be a bad 4 way valve, but once they dug into it, diagnosed to be a pinhole leak in a coolant hose. Hose replaced, no more leaks.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I had this message pop up on my Model S85 from 2013 with 260.000km on the clock.

Went by the service center (Eindhoven, Netherlands) this morning and they replaced: VALVE 4-WAY(6007370-00-E)

I also topped up the coolant as I saw the reservoir was low.

Total cost including labor, but excluding VAT: EUR 271

Took them about 2h to fix it.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
So is this something I should order and just do myself? I'm pretty handy. and I opened up my frunk and found that mine is leaking. Looks easy to do other than the purge part of the manual. If it's just a "try not to lose too much and hook it back up and you are fine" then I'm totally ok doing it. The manual says to use Toolbox and do a Coolant Air Purge. Obviously I don't have access to that.

IMG_4713.jpg

Had this one also replaced in October at the price mentioned above.
In January I started again having the warnings of low coolant level.
This was fixed this week and is actually another three way valve (6007384-00-C)
Also about 250€ All incl.
I asked, very rare but is the only other valve involved. Just as an FYI. (I’m almost at 200.000 km)

765BE76E-9C11-4BE6-AD80-8193F98B11B9.jpeg

So is this something I should order and just do myself? I'm pretty handy. and I opened up my frunk and found that mine is leaking. Looks easy to do other than the purge part of the manual. If it's just a "try not to lose too much and hook it back up and you are fine" then I'm totally ok doing it. The manual says to use Toolbox and do a Coolant Air Purge. Obviously I don't have access to that.

View attachment 511160
I just replaced the valve and topped off the coolant a few times after driving for a bit. Eventually the level stabilized. No toolbox.

I just had the 4-way valve replaced (2014 S85 91,000 miles) as the SC found it was leaking when they were fixing the (also leaking) aircon system. I told them to go ahead as they had the frunk out anyway so thought it should save a bit of labour, but cost including VAT was another £400 (~$500). Seems like I got ripped off. Frustrating as I had the frunk out a few weeks ago to do the upper suspension control arm but didn't look to see if there was an issue there. The new part from Tesla is £58 (~$70) so I'd say worth doing it yourself if they're quoting that much on labour.

I just had the 4-way valve replaced (2014 S85 91,000 miles) as the SC found it was leaking when they were fixing the (also leaking) aircon system. I told them to go ahead as they had the frunk out anyway so thought it should save a bit of labour, but cost including VAT was another £400 (~$500). Seems like I got ripped off. Frustrating as I had the frunk out a few weeks ago to do the upper suspension control arm but didn't look to see if there was an issue there. The new part from Tesla is £58 (~$70) so I'd say worth doing it yourself if they're quoting that much on labour.
Yes definitely do it yourself for anyone else who has some basic skills. It’s very easy to access once the frunk liner is out, although it can be messy if you don’t clamp off the hoses sufficiently

Our 2014 Model S with 78k miles was losing about a pint (~.5l) a month of coolant. After finding this thread I pulled the frunk liner and there was coolant residue under the 4 way valve though I did not see it actively leaking. Since Tesla’s price for the repair was so reasonable at only about $100 more than the part alone (~$200) I just had them do it since the car also had two outstanding recalls (steering bolts and airbags). First time it’s been to a service center in years - touch wood.

The service experience definitely lacks the human touch and feedback at the beginning by going only through the app. When I arrived at the service center they had already read my notes, looked at the pics, pulled the vehicle logs and prepped for the repair. They did a pressure test and quickly confirmed the 4 way valve was the source of the leak and changed it.

Interestingly they also saw a warning on the battery heater (silver metal box behind and above the valve) and found a rat had cut a small gauge sensor wire. Since they are only allowed to replace whole parts they quoted $800 for the whole heater including its harness plus install. I’m good with a soldering iron and were were supportive of me fixing it myself by not reinstalling the frunk liner at my request. The wire took about 15 min to fix cause I had to lie in the trunk and I barely fit but was not hard to do.

Overall the service guys were as helpful, friendly and competent as they could be.

Before and after pics:

357C14F3-CE2B-4915-9481-4EC2191047DF.png
DEEA47E6-6A7A-40C1-862E-31673C81B343.jpeg