Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking blue liquid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was referencing post #13 from just this past Friday.
Thanks for the guidance. I decided to keep my appointment on the 23rd and am not driving the car between now and then. Service diagnosed (through my description and pictures) a coolant leak, so you were spot on J. They said I should be able to drive the car to their facility on the 23rd. As long as I haven't seen a warning on the display, I shouldn't need to have it towed. It's a serious, but slow leak apparently. What's odd is the repair estimate says they're going to "reseal area around both front upper control arm ball joints with urethane (Model X)" then "Cooling System Vacuum Refill (Add Coolant 1029320-00 if Needed)". I'm not a mechanic, but it doesn't make sense to me that upper control arm ball joint seals were the problem (unless coolant lines flow through that area). Anyway, they said they cannot guarantee I'll get the car back the same day day, and I didn't want to cancel my Christmas road tripping plans, so I've rented a refreshed 2021 Model X Long Range for a couple of weeks and will drive that for the holidays instead. Figured I may as well start to get used to the steering yoke before my MX Plaid is delivered early next year. I'll bump this thread again when I have more info on the outcome of the repair.

Again, I really appreciate the insight J. 👍

Thanks for the guidance. I decided to keep my appointment on the 23rd and am not driving the car between now and then. Service diagnosed (through my description and pictures) a coolant leak, so you were spot on J. They said I should be able to drive the car to their facility on the 23rd. As long as I haven't seen a warning on the display, I shouldn't need to have it towed. It's a serious, but slow leak apparently. What's odd is the repair estimate says they're going to "reseal area around both front upper control arm ball joints with urethane (Model X)" then "Cooling System Vacuum Refill (Add Coolant 1029320-00 if Needed)". I'm not a mechanic, but it doesn't make sense to me that upper control arm ball joint seals were the problem (unless coolant lines flow through that area). Anyway, they said they cannot guarantee I'll get the car back the same day day, and I didn't want to cancel my Christmas road tripping plans, so I've rented a refreshed 2021 Model X Long Range for a couple of weeks and will drive that for the holidays instead. Figured I may as well start to get used to the steering yoke before my MX Plaid is delivered early next year. I'll bump this thread again when I have more info on the outcome of the repair.
Again, I really appreciate the insight J. 👍
The upper control arm ball joint repair seems like it could be part of a limited safety recall for affected MX vehicles. The coolant leak repair is separate.

The upper control arm ball joint repair seems like it could be part of a limited safety recall for affected MX vehicles. The coolant leak repair is separate.

That was going to be my guess too

The information above is super helpful. My 2019 Model X P100D has a puddle of something under it. I swiped my finger through it and it's blue-ish and a little viscous (like a light oil). Confounded me to think of where it might be coming from. Gonna have a look under the hood tomorrow. I've already scheduled a service appointment, but the earliest availability was 23 December. Sucks because we'd planned a road trip for the holidays. Hoping for a miracle and an easy fix.
Hey what ended up being the issue? Costs?This is currently happening to me with my 2019 Model 3.

The windshield wiper fluid is also blue and can leak. I had a similar panic a couple of weeks into owning my car after the service center overfilled it (courtesy top off) when I brought it in for some minor delivery issues. A coolant leak should supposedly throw a warning to the computer according to the technicians who checked my car.
Hi I had the same issue yesterday. The car is 5 days old. Also just brought it back from fixing a small delivery issue. Does this phone looks like your case?

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    872.3 KB · Views: 5
That looks like dried windshield washer fluid (the blue generic kind). There could be a crack in the plastic washer fluid reservoir (typically this crack can happen at the neck of the reservoir.) Washer fluid will leak out from the crack until the fluid level is below the crack.

Does washer fluid get applied to the windshield or does it just appear on the driveway beneath the Tesla Model Y? If the washer fluid hose gets disconnected from the washer fluid pump this will happen. If you remove the plastic shroud under the hood you can follow the washer fluid hose and see if the hose has come off the pump connection. If so just push the hose back onto the connector. You can secure the washer fluid hose with a plastic wire tie so it won't come off again.

Reactions: Szzz and ucmndd