Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learned something new today.. thanks Mercedes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha..

Ok, so im pretty bored today and decided to stop in at a local Mercedes dealership. I wanted to see if they had an EQC on display.. or pricing info.. anything really.

The guy obviously asks me what im driving now (Model 3 of course), then goes on to say that "well didn't you know that electric cars are worse for the environment than gas cars? It's true! There was one study i ready that said so. So.. this V6 SUV is better for the environment than your car."

Im like... no.. no it's not.

He then said "i swear it's true.. because those Tesla batteries are made in China where there's a bunch of smoke stacks"

:confused::eek:o_O:rolleyes: (emojis are an accurate representation of my face then.. lol)

I then said "that is completely false. Tesla batteries for my car are made in Nevada... NOT China". He kept arguing with me until i just got frustrated and left.

Oh ya.. Mercedes is all on board with EVs...

*facepalm

It just becomes harder every single day to not hate people doesn’t it? We have to live in a simulation...... there is no other explanation for instances like this.

I think that dealers hate EV's (mostly) because they require far less service. Combine that with the dealership upgrades ($$$) the manufacturers often require and you can see how a lot of dealers are terrified about the transition.
The good news is it will take many years for EV to outnumber ICE, the bad news is many still won't prepare for it. Much like the transition to self-driving tech, taxi and truck drivers know it is coming but few will think to reinvent themselves before AI comes for their job.
Side note: I had a Honda dealership owner tell me Tesla's have to be taken back to the factory for service, which I find hilarious. Mind you this was in VA, which actually has Tesla sales centers. I can see trying to make that argument in a state with no Tesla presence.

Battery is assembled in Nevada, indeed. However, it possible that cells inside battery are made in China in. Those cells come from Panasonic

Panasonic is assembling the cells in Nevada, is mixing lithium and rolling cell cylinders together on-site:
Insiders describe a world of chaos and waste at Panasonic's massive battery-making operation for Tesla

Materials that go into the batteries are sourced globally.

"well didn't you know that electric cars are worse for the environment than gas cars? It's true! There was one study i ready that said so. So.. this V6 SUV is better for the environment than your car."

He then said "i swear it's true.. because those Tesla batteries are made in China where there's a bunch of smoke stacks

The guys is selling you BS, and cars. As much of the former as is necessary to sell the latter.
Which is par for the course on all car sales lots.
Tesla is no exception.

In my case, I‘m moving from a 2017 BMW ///M3...the real M3 ;) — I‘m looking forward to seeing how the P3D compares to the BMW.

P3D accelerates way faster, but ///M3 handles better, and is more nimble/faster through the twisty bits.
+600 lbs of weight have a LOT to do with the above.

I don‘t track a lot, but do get on VIR every so often and would like to get back on Daytona with the P3D to see how it stacks up. I know it doesn’t have the stamina to do a whole day on the track, both from a range/battery and brake standpoint. My M3 has CCB‘s so I don‘t have to deal with brake fade, as you do with regular steel brakes.

I have steel brakes in my F80, but swap-in Pagis RSL's for track duty.
Unfortunately, none of the top-tier brake pad shops (Hawk, Pagid, PerformanceFriction, etc), have released brake pads in TM3 size as of now.

You will also need way wider tires under TM3P, else 4100 lbs of weight over 235mm PS4's will shred the outside shoulders after a few track sessions (assuming you know how to driver properly).

I‘m most interested in comparing the infotainment in the P3D vs the BMW (CarPlay and SXM)... I‘ll have to get used to the silence, too.... something about rolling the window down, while you‘re zooming around, blipping through the gears ;)

Tesla's audio fidelity is better than BMW's HK. Both due to lower ambient noises, and also better speakers in the front.
The CarPlay integration is obviously lacking in Teslas, and that is how I source all my infotainment in all my other cars. So that is a big minus for TM3.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Car salesmen jump from one dealership to the next like clockwork. They may be bashing one brand today and then working for them the next. They are generally not very knowledgeable about what they're selling or cars (often everything) in general. It's kind of a waste to try to convince someone like that they're wrong, and I've learned just smile and nod and say "ok thanks. I've done my own research and I disagree but to each their own".

Reactions: afadeev
Haha..

Ok, so im pretty bored today and decided to stop in at a local Mercedes dealership. I wanted to see if they had an EQC on display.. or pricing info.. anything really.

The guy obviously asks me what im driving now (Model 3 of course), then goes on to say that "well didn't you know that electric cars are worse for the environment than gas cars? It's true! There was one study i ready that said so. So.. this V6 SUV is better for the environment than your car."

He then said "i swear it's true.. because those Tesla batteries are made in China where there's a bunch of smoke stacks"

:confused::eek:o_O:rolleyes: (emojis are an accurate representation of my face then.. lol)

I then said "that is completely false. Tesla batteries for my car are made in Nevada... NOT China". He kept arguing with me until i just got frustrated and left.

Oh ya.. Mercedes is all on board with EVs...

*facepalm
He has a job to do, which is to sell what he has to sell. It's not his job to be fair or impartial. It's the customer's responsibility to research and determine what purchase is in his/her best interests. Salesmen lie and mislead all the time, whatever the product. Anyone who didn't just move from the USSR should understand that.

Huge dilemma for dealers/manufacturers if they plan to sell EV and ICE on the same lot.
I had a recent experience with this dilemma. The day I test drove a Tesla, my brother and I stopped by a Mercedes dealer to test drive a GLC 350e, their PHEV SUV, as my sister-in-law is starting to think about her next car. So of the dealers in town, only one had any in inventory and they had 8 on the lot.

So we show up and talk to a sales guy about it, saying we'd like to see them and take one out. He walks us all the way to the back corner of the lot where 7 of them are parked in by the regular ICE GLC 350, showing us the new model year GLE 350s on the way and bragging about how they're the only Mercedes dealer in town that has an interest in selling the 350e. We ask, OK, can we test drive one? "Sure," he says," but none of these are charged. We keep one up front that we charge, but it just sold."

We walk back to the front and he goes, wait, there's the one that was charged, maybe we didn't sell it. Goes and checks, comes out and says, we didn't sell it so we can take it for a drive. We get in, start to drive and it drives on the gas engine the entire time because it also wasn't charged.

These guys have no incentive to sell EV or PHEV vehicles right now. Hopefully that changes, but it didn't surprise me when they started calling my brother a month later offering 20% of MSRP because they hadn't moved any of those off the lot.

I can't believe the sales people themselves car that much about cars coming back for service. I bet the EV's, especially compliance cars that cost more to make then they sell for, have no sales incentives going to the sales person. I'm sure there are other ICE cars they need to get rid of that they'd love to sell to you and pocket some extra incentives.

I had to buy a TV quickly long ago. I started with a sales guy who steered me to what had to be the TV with the worst looking picture in the store. I couldn't believe anyone would buy it. But the guy kept trying... why?

The model 3 sells itself, case in point. We go ours, we had it a couple of weeks and I hadn't told my father in law who lives fairly close to me. Well My wife met with him one day driving it and he was pissed we didn't tell him we had it, haha.

To cut to the chase, he is now in the process of deciding which configuration he wants. Drove our LR DM and drove a co-worker of mines SR+ today. When my co-worker asked, so you are looking into getting one? His response was, "oh no, we're getting one, I just want to know which one"

Well, the „performs better“ statement depends on the criteria...and what the buyer is looking for? I don’t think your average car buyer is walking into a stealership debating between an ICE and an EV. The debate would likely be between an ICE and a hybrid...but that‘s my opinion.

In my case, I‘m moving from a 2017 BMW ///M3...the real M3 ;) — I‘m looking forward to seeing how the P3D compares to the BMW. I don‘t track a lot, but do get on VIR every so often and would like to get back on Daytona with the P3D to see how it stacks up. I know it doesn’t have the stamina to do a whole day on the track, both from a range/battery and brake standpoint. My M3 has CCB‘s so I don‘t have to deal with brake fade, as you do with regular steel brakes. I‘m most interested in comparing the infotainment in the P3D vs the BMW (CarPlay and SXM)... I‘ll have to get used to the silence, too.... something about rolling the window down, while you‘re zooming around, blipping through the gears ;)

Cheers!
Um....OK :rolleyes:

I had a BMW 330IX convertible as a rental for a month while I waited on my Model AWD delivery. You can keep your "real thing" thank you. :p

Dumb of you loop in all of "Mercedes" because of one opinion from a sales ape.

The problem is that he is representing the company, which reflects poorly on that company. No different than any other organization.

This is why having a properly trained staff is a key component to good customer service. It can just take one individual to permanently stop a returning customer.

It is manly pointless to debate people about almost anything. You can't change someones mind. A better strategy is to be passive aggressive and say something like:

OK, but not here to debate battery production technology since I don't have an engineering degree like you must have. Now how about that DIRTY EQC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swampgator
...then goes on to say that "well didn't you know that electric cars are worse for the environment than gas cars? It's true! There was one study i ready that said so. So.. this V6 SUV is better for the environment than your car."

My response... "How about you sit in your garage with your ICE running and I'll do the same with my Tesla?"