Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learned something new today.. thanks Mercedes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some slick bozo at the Montreal Audi dealer said “don’t buy a Tesla, they don’t know how to make cars and they’re not safe”. Really....immediately went to Tesla and the car sold itself. Thanks Audi for pointing us in the right direction!

Reactions: McFlurri
So a sales rep for a German car company is putting Tesla down for making their products in China. When in reality Tesla is an American run company that builds its cars (and batteries) in America and employs thousands of workers in America. Well, you have to give him credit for seeing how much nonsense he can throw against the wall there since he has nothing to compete with a Model 3 for your business. That’s really funny actually.

Reactions: McFlurri
So, how much more environmentally friendly are Teslas and other EVs?

Over what period of time?

The short answer generally though is:

less at initial production
about even within 6-18 months of actual road use
And even every bit of use after that much cleaner, so the more clean the longer you drive it

Note the 6-18 months is from this 2015 report-
Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave (2015)

As this 2018 update mentions EVs have continued to get cleaner and cleaner over time (including the cleanness of their charging sources) so it's likely shorter (and with larger advantage after the "payback" period than that)

Reactions: MentalNomad
Most plants that generate electricity are located away from major population centers. So while they do create pollution, they don’t pollute the neighborhoods where most of us live. When we drive ICE cars around our neighborhoods we pollute our own communities. So it’s not as simple as measuring how dirty the electricity plants are versus how clean EV cars are. Where the pollution is distributed is significant.

Um....OK :rolleyes:

I had a BMW 330IX convertible as a rental for a month while I waited on my Model AWD delivery. You can keep your "real thing" thank you. :p

There is almost nothing in common between a 330IX and a "real" M3, other than the badge they wear. I have driven M3s but never owned one (had multiple other BMWs though). @afadeev 's info is pretty accurate (and I know he knows more about BMWs than most, recognizing the handle from a very large BMW site....

I love my model 3, its an awesome car, I actually picked it over a BMW M3.. mostly because I could only afford 2 nice cars, one for me and one for my wife, and this car is my daily commuter at 80 miles a day. The model 3 is an awesome commuter car, I love mine, but there is also a lot to love about the actual M3.

I remember years ago story on the front cover how a toyota model was built more american than some of the american car maker. We tesla owners are like when the dvd started coming out and they where just one row way in the back of a blockbuster store.

As a general rule - there are exceptions of course - most EVs on the market today (outside of Tesla) lose $$ on each sale.

This makes no sense - care to provide data to backup your claim?

Automakers make money on cars in various ways: profile margin built into the price, ZEV credits, CAFE credits, financing on the purchases, etc, etc.
BMW, Nissan, and Tesla - all make money on their EVs!
GM and FCA don't.

BMW i3 to be "Profitable From Day One"
Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance Claims It's Alone in Making a Profit off EVs

The sales reps aren’t trained nor they are encouraged to sell them, and often make no commission when they do sell them.

That is totally FALSE.
Dealerships are independent business, and they would not be selling cars at a loss. Ever.
Nor would any salesperson bother to ink a transaction if he did not get paid for it. Ever.

Upfront profit margin, back-end OEM kick-backs, incentives, or rebates, dealership makes money on 99+% of the cars it sells, and salesman make money on 100% of the transactions they ink, or they walk away.

a

My uneducated opinion, dealerships like lobbyists intention were good and a very small percent actually still try to do good for the people but it's just the majority does more harm than good for consumers and society.

Direct online sales is the future.

But, it is the right approach. I personally don't believe CAGW is going to be a large problem. Still, I drive a Tesla.
Same here. I don't care about saving the planet ... I just wanted a fast car. My 3P+ definitely provides that! Plus, it's designed and manufactured in the USA. Teslas are "wins" all around:

1. You want to save the planet? Win. Tesla is making EVs "cool". No one wants those goofy econobox EVs that look like baby shoes.
2. You want performance? Win. Teslas blow away most cars in their price class.
3. You want convenience? Win. Plug in at home, no trips to the gas station (though long trips are an issue).
4. You want "Made in the USA"? Win. Designed and built here.

What's really interesting is that Tesla is just beginning. The design and manufacturing growth curve is steep. It's still an early adopter product. The next five to ten years will be very interesting to watch.

Oh i forgot to mention that apparently the batteries just get thrown away into the landfill as there is no way to recycle them.....

Of course i tried to counter this false point made by the salesman telling him that actually there is a high recycle-ability with these batteries and Tesla has invested heavily in this. additionally... there is a very large secondary market for battery storage.

he disagreed lol... Nope.. this V6 is better!

He’s not entirely wrong. Just as someone that says EVs are better for the environment is not entirely right or wrong.

It all depends on many factors - the timeframe, the breakdown of methods in which energy fueling your EV is generated, what it is compared against, where and how it was manufactured, etc, but it’s all a break-even point as EVs are generally worse for the environment to manufacture. So if the car gets totaled 6 months after delivery, a comparable ICE vehicle would have been better... we hope that isn’t the case, but it can still be maybe 2-4 years (again big dependencies on other factors to get an exact estimate) before the EV is better for the environment.

It's a completely broken sales model and won't change anytime soon. Since "dealerships" make the majority of their profits from service, they are completely dis-incentivized to promote EVs over ICE. Always follow the money....
Salesmen make commission on the sale, not the parts. If they can’t sell the customer what they want, they will be the loser. However, the dealer needs to order the vehicles in order to sell them