Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease return charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turning my Model S in after a three-year lease. I just got the inspection report. I consider my car in pristine condition, aside from curb rash on the wheels. So the report says $1,500 in damage! It evidently has 3, almost imperceptible chips on the windshield, which they want to replace to the tune of $601. Tires on the rear are below 4/32, so they are requiring 2 new tires at $240 each, even though I replaced the original tires that lasted only 25K miles. The curb rash on each wheel is $125 each. 2 very small chips on the front bumper are, thankfully, considered normal wear and tear.

Is this normal? I have always purchased my cars, so this is my first lease return. I'm a little shocked by this amount. I fully expected the repair for the curb rash, but the rest seems very petty. How are 3, very, very small chips in the windshield not considered normal wear and tear?

Turning my Model S in after a three-year lease. I just got the inspection report. I consider my car in pristine condition, aside from curb rash on the wheels. So the report says $1,500 in damage! It evidently has 3, almost imperceptible chips on the windshield, which they want to replace to the tune of $601. Tires on the rear are below 4/32, so they are requiring 2 new tires at $240 each, even though I replaced the original tires that lasted only 25K miles. The curb rash on each wheel is $125 each. 2 very small chips on the front bumper are, thankfully, considered normal wear and tear.

Is this normal? I have always purchased my cars, so this is my first lease return. I'm a little shocked by this amount. I fully expected the repair for the curb rash, but the rest seems very petty. How are 3, very, very small chips in the windshield not considered normal wear and tear?
You need 2 new tires and the curb rash fixed. I can't guess about the windshield without a picture.

It looks like you’re Bay Area. Let me know where you returned the lease so we can avoid that location :)

All kidding aside, hopefully they’ll be willing to negotiate. My friend negotiated his amount due with Mercedes by more than half what they originally asked for.

I returned the model S 2 months ago. I didn't have to pay for any of the damages. There were 2 heavy deep scratch areas: one at the front bumper and one at the rear wheel area (see pictures). There was no live person to inspect the car. A day before the lease return appointment, Tesla sent me an online form for me to fill it out and they also asked me to submit the the pictures of front, side, back, front seats, back seats, and tire thickness (with a coin). When I dropped off the car, the Tesla representative shook my hand and asked me to sign the release form..... and that's it. He went inside the car to do a factory reset....I helped him to complete the process by entering my login username and password. He didn't even look at the car. A month later I got a bill from Tesla for a disposition fee of $431. Here are some of the pictures that I submitted to Tesla.
20190807_180354.jpg
20190807_180459.jpg
20190807_182102.jpg

Last edited:
Turned my car in 2 months ago - same guy from the factory who dropped off my new one, picked up the old one. I signed a form, he took the car, and off it went. Haven’t heard a thing since. Guess I’m in the clear?

If the tires are worn, then you will likely have to pay to have them replaced. Doesn't matter how long they lasted. Pretty common on a lease. Scratches are also typically waived under a certain size (wear and tear) and they can be touched up.

I would have had the windshield chips repaired prior to turning in. Same for the curbed wheels if they aren't too bad. A quick touch of the right color of paint makes a world of difference.