Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing deposit returned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, has anyone that has leased their M3 had their £3000 deposit back from Tesla yet?

I am leasing through leaseplan and have played the initial deposit and two lots of monthly repayments but have yet to receive the money I put down to Tesla for the reservation.

Tesla have assured me I will get the deposit back, but no time frame! Is anyone else still waiting or had their money back?

I’m a bit skint!

I'm looking to lease next year, previously I have purchased cars, never leased) - so cant help, but a bit confused here, why have you paid money directly to Tesla, surely all payments go to/through the leasing company?

The initial payments on a lease, as I understand them, are initial up front payments (e.g. 3 months rental payments + admin fee) and are not refundable?

I'm looking to lease next year, previously I have purchased cars, never leased) - so cant help, but a bit confused here, why have you paid money directly to Tesla, surely all payments go to/through the leasing company?

The initial payments on a lease, as I understand them, are initial up front payments (e.g. 3 months rental payments + admin fee) and are not refundable?
It sounds like they reserved directly with Tesla, and then Leaseplan took over the RN.

It means Leasplan will fund the purchase, and the original deposit will be returned to the buyer.

Hi, has anyone that has leased their M3 had their £3000 deposit back from Tesla yet?

I am leasing through leaseplan and have played the initial deposit and two lots of monthly repayments but have yet to receive the money I put down to Tesla for the reservation.

Tesla have assured me I will get the deposit back, but no time frame! Is anyone else still waiting or had their money back?

I’m a bit skint!
Same here

I have emailed Tesla and confirmed all my bank details for the refund, but seen nothing 15 working days later after this email. I emailed again yesterday to see where it was but no response yet.

I'll be in your shoes, but I paid the £2000 reservation, not £3000, before porting over my RN to leaseplan after 2 weeks. Tesla should refund it to you, I've heard it takes up to 15 days... but 2 months!? Ridiculous.

Isn't there a law of some sorts to back this up? Seems very shoddy, even for Tesla standards.
Yep very, i did get in contact with someone through email who was very helpful but after my last email with them (over 15days ago) with my correct bank details it went silent and no refund yet. They did mention 15days after pickup, but that’s long gone! (49 days now)

Not sure on law? I suposse its a bit of a grey area, as you have the goods but its leased through a different company and tesla have your Reservation & Deposit.

It sounds like they reserved directly with Tesla, and then Leaseplan took over the RN.

It means Leasplan will fund the purchase, and the original deposit will be returned to the buyer.

That is correct, I was told this by drive electric and Tesla. Initial reservation was £1000 + £2000 to go ahead with the purchase using my own money. Drive electric then took over the RN and leaseplan payed the full amount for the car. Therefore Tesla are £3000 in credit i.e. money that is owned back to me.

I’ve payed lease plan in initial rental another £3500 hence why I could do with my deposit back.

UPDATE: spoke to Tesla by phone and they have assured me the credit is coming back to me, they are working through the back log! Also something about a computer glitch, which sounds like BS. The chap had no idea when the money would come back though.

Check with LP the invoice is definitely paid for the car, as Tesla wont return any deposit until that's been settled in full.
Check with LP the invoice is definitely paid for the car, as Tesla wont return any deposit until that's been settled in full.
For

Tesla confirmed the payment from leaseplan was received on 15/08. I took delivery on 09/08.
So who knows!

That is correct, I was told this by drive electric and Tesla. Initial reservation was £1000 + £2000 to go ahead with the purchase using my own money. Drive electric then took over the RN and leaseplan payed the full amount for the car. Therefore Tesla are £3000 in credit i.e. money that is owned back to me.

I’ve payed lease plan in initial rental another £3500 hence why I could do with my deposit back.

UPDATE: spoke to Tesla by phone and they have assured me the credit is coming back to me, they are working through the back log! Also something about a computer glitch, which sounds like BS. The chap had no idea when the money would come back though.
Good to hear on the update. What number did you call by the way?
I emailed them yesterday (my direct contact at Birmingham!) and has been passed on to see where my refund is and she said she would chase for me. :)