Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing pros and cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of generalizations in this post, which doesn't really help the OP in making a decision.

This is an expensive acquisition, whether by lease or by purchase/finance. Talk to your tax professional to find out the pro's and con's of both leasing and purchasing (with and without financing).

In my case, because I was looking specifically for a means of reducing my taxable income earned through my professional business, my CPA strongly recommended that I lease my model S, for the following reasons:
1. You can deduct the monthly leasing fee, sales tax, maintenance and insurance as a business expense. Any personal usage must be reimbursed. As my usage is nearly 100% for business, this is an easy book-keeping item.
2. You lose the $7500 tax credit. However, if you purchase, you have very limited depreciation, as this is a luxury car (I think the depreciation averages out to about 8% per year, for tax purposes. Any guess if the market value depreciates more quickly?!?). Additionally, with a purchase, you have to pay for all expenses with after-tax income, and then seek reimbursement for mileage.

These two items tilted my decision quickly to leasing, when I coupled my CPA's advice with the fact that this wonderful car is a new technology, nearly all computer-based, and possibly obsolete by the end of my 3 year lease term. I opted for the 15,000/year, however after 3 months of possession, I have less than 3000 miles. (If you drive significantly more than 15000/year, leasing is probably not an option for you).

7 years ago I purchased (and financed) my first real "dream car", a 2008 Porsche 997 C2S cabriolet. Beautiful in every way imaginable. After 3 years and 12000 miles, I sold it to a dealer from Toronto. The car depreciated at a market value of nearly $20,000/year. My taxable depreciation was less than $20,000 for the 3 years of ownership. It was a thoroughly poor financial decision to purchase that car, and one that I personally, will never make again.

Leasing is what worked for me, for a very specific reason. Maybe it won't work for you - you don't need the business expense; you're retired and you love to drive across the country; you're in the top 0.5% of all income earners and you have cash to burn/play with. But, of all the advice I can give, the most important is: TALK TO YOUR CPA.

Another thing to consider is that Tesla REQUIRES you to perform the yearly $600 service if you lease. That's $1800 extra to add in to the equation.

I'd disagree with this, but again as you said, there is no "good/proper" data out there. From what I was told, the service is meant to occur approximately once a year, or every 12,500 miles as listed right on the Tesla Motors web site. Based on that, my wife's lease being 36,000 miles ... we'll do the first service at 12,500 miles. Next would be 24,500.... which puts the subsequent service at 37,500. Our lease is only until 36,000 miles (obviously the mileage is all delta/relative to originating miles).

Based on this data, using Tesla's required 12,500 interval (which for us is just beyond 1-year since our lease is only 12k/year)-- we only should be required to actually perform 2 services. Even if they attempted to say it required annual service, our lease start date to end date is 3 years and 3 days.... I'd happily turn any lawyer's attention to them if they claimed we had been required to perform an annual service in that 72-hour period that was beyond the 3 days. Especially when Tesla's site clearly states the mileage on the service and has advised other owners on these forums to perform the service based on that criteria. (At the same time i recently saw someone who was told to service annually even through they did 25k/year.. so yeah, lots of bad info from store to store).

IMO... 2 services, $600/ea... of course 15,000 miles/year the math decidedly adds a 3rd service... all the more reason to go only 12k/year LOL