Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving a model 3 unplugged: how bad is this scenario?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read that “a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla”, however, I am in a situation where I tend to leave my model 3 unplugged quite a lot. I drive a couple hundred miles and then park and then have to leave the car for about two weeks. The parking space does not have electricity, so I charge the car to about 80% just before I park it and then when I come back two weeks later it is at about 65%. The model 3 (LR AWD EAP) is ideal for the drive, but I am concerned about leaving the car unplugged so much. It would cost at least $4000 per year to rent a parking place with electricity so I would rather avoid that if possible.

As it is, my car sits unplugged for up to 2 weeks per month. How bad is that? Do I need to rethink this and perhaps use a different car or get a parking space with electricity despite the significant cost? What are the possible systems within the model 3 that might be adversely effected by leaving the car unplugged so much? Will this be worse in the summer when it is hot?

I have read that “a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla”, however, I am in a situation where I tend to leave my model 3 unplugged quite a lot. I drive a couple hundred miles and then park and then have to leave the car for about two weeks. The parking space does not have electricity, so I charge the car to about 80% just before I park it and then when I come back two weeks later it is at about 65%. The model 3 (LR AWD EAP) is ideal for the drive, but I am concerned about leaving the car unplugged so much. It would cost at least $4000 per year to rent a parking place with electricity so I would rather avoid that if possible.

As it is, my car sits unplugged for up to 2 weeks per month. How bad is that? Do I need to rethink this and perhaps use a different car or get a parking space with electricity despite the significant cost? What are the possible systems within the model 3 that might be adversely effected by leaving the car unplugged so much? Will this be worse in the summer when it is hot?

Your use case of 80%-65% is fine. No need to worry. No system are impacted other than the pack, and that level of drain is not an issue.

In summer, the cabin overheat protection may kick in the first couple days and drain off some additional charge. After that, the interior will heat up, but everything should be rated for those temperatures. If possible, park in the shade and/ or get those sun reflectors for the car.

I don't think there is anything for you to worry about with that usage.

Even in extreme cases where the car is left unplugged for months and the battery becomes dangerously low there is a reserve to keep it from being bricked.

Running the battery to "zero" (not really zero) is what is harmful for the battery, especially if it is done frequently.

Letting the battery run down to 65% while away for a while is nothing at all.

The Model 3 manual mentions keeping the battery above 0%: never fully discharging the battery. Reference: "Battery Information: Battery Care" page 122 of Model 3 Owner's Manual. It also strongly suggests keeping the car plugged in when not in use for several weeks, but nothing damning.

I've heard there's a way further hibernate the car by turning the car "off" from network and stuff. But I have yet to find this. Closest I see is Valet Mode in the driver profiles. :shrug:

Thanks very much everyone. I expected some discussion of why this is not ideal.

It seems like we are throwing "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" out the window? There must be something bad about leaving a car unplugged for two weeks over and over? Anyone?