Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving car at airport unplugged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we hit HVAC "on" from the App (latest version) does it not turn off after a timeout period? For older App versions I recall the shutoff period used to be very short like 15 minutes

People wanted longer... for some reason a 1 hour shutoff comes to mind but is it now "stays on indefinitely or until 20% SOC" much the same as if we used the slider in-car?

Maybe the 1 hour is coming to mind because of some information that came out with the new battery pre-conditioning version of the App that advised something like "it can take up to an hour to heat the battery" ..

I will be leaving my 75D at Toronto airport parking for about 10 days .
I hope to have about 70% charge when I leave it.
I estimate the average temperature while away t to be -10 Celsius / 14 Fahrenheit
How much drain should I expect to see over the 10 days. Trying to figure if I'll have enough on return to get home
Thanks
I concur with @George I that you will probably see somewhere a little above 10% loss if you do the appropriate energy saving settings mentioned above. When left idle, the car does go into a deeper sleep mode after about 24 hours and then a much deeper sleep mode after about 48 hours. So, don't do this:
So I used phone app and checked every day.
That is constantly poking the car as it is trying to fall asleep and waking it up, so it never gets to go into those deep sleep modes that use less idle energy. Shut off the Tesla app on your phone and resist the urge to check on it. Let it sleep.

I concur with @George I that you will probably see somewhere a little above 10% loss if you do the appropriate energy saving settings mentioned above. When left idle, the car does go into a deeper sleep mode after about 24 hours and then a much deeper sleep mode after about 48 hours. So, don't do this:

That is constantly poking the car as it is trying to fall asleep and waking it up, so it never gets to go into those deep sleep modes that use less idle energy. Shut off the Tesla app on your phone and resist the urge to check on it. Let it sleep.
Not really sure this is correct. Can look at my post (photo of daily battery state) with the notes showing checkups, often twice a day. For 11 days. After first couple days vampire loss declined to very little each day. Couple times even gained a mile when temps started climbing back up. Even if the car's "brain" was in a sleep mode, and then forced to use energy to turn back on to respond to an app request, the amount of energy to do that, when compared to the amount of energy to move 4,500 lbs one mile down the road, is approaching nothing.

FWIW, recently parked at the airport for 2 days with no changes or adjustments to any controls. The only precaution I made was to not "contact" the car with my phone. The vampire loss was about 2 miles per day. Of course, this is Arizona and cold weather was not a factor.

For a longer time in the garage, I'll shut a lot down.

Not really sure this is correct. Can look at my post (photo of daily battery state) with the notes showing checkups, often twice a day. For 11 days. After first couple days vampire loss declined to very little each day. Couple times even gained a mile when temps started climbing back up. Even if the car's "brain" was in a sleep mode, and then forced to use energy to turn back on to respond to an app request, the amount of energy to do that, when compared to the amount of energy to move 4,500 lbs one mile down the road, is approaching nothing.
They may have adjusted the algorithm some in the past year or two, so my information is possibly out of date, where it handles that better. It used to be that checking with the app would wake a lot of things back up, and would start the 24 hour clock over again.
For 10 days, it would be approaching nothing. For 30+ days, having the vampire loss doubled would make quite a bit of difference.

Ok , here's what happened
I did leave my S75D at Toronto Airport from Feb 14 to Feb 22 as per my original post .
I turned off Always connected, and turned on energy savings. Disconnected any apps that poll the car.
I left with 85% soc. Returned with 82% soc still available . Seems that leaving unplugged at the airport is not an issue for 10 days

Ok , here's what happened
I did leave my S75D at Toronto Airport from Feb 14 to Feb 22 as per my original post .
I turned off Always connected, and turned on energy savings. Disconnected any apps that poll the car.
I left with 85% soc. Returned with 82% soc still available . Seems that leaving unplugged at the airport is not an issue for 10 days

Thank you. Very very useful for me. Leaving it in BWI for 5 days. Clearly not much of an issue.

Update: I left it in the open long term parking. Lost 11 miles in 4 days.
That's consistent with mine in January (see photo of daily log pages, post #15, above). 11 days at BWI, lost 3 miles per day avg even though was 10 degrees at night for first 5 or 6 days. And I was checking the phone App state-of-charge every day becasue car brand new and was interested in rate of dischrg. (but did accidntally screw up and turned on heater one time for 2-3 hours when showing app to friend doen there in the Costa Rica jungle. Lost 15 miles from batttery... Not figured into vampire loss calculations).

Couldn't you find a wall plug at the parking lot? The trickle charge would at least offset the energy loss related to battery conditioning.
This is the best solution for long term lot parking. Often can find wall outlets near a stairwell or elevators or utility closet or some lights. Sometimes on top floor or bottom floor. Its the best solution.