Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Back Seat - not folding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Model Y this evening. The right seat will release and fold down with force, the left seat/middle seat unlatches but does not spring down. At first I thought maybe the seatbelt is in the way but nope didn't seem to matter when I moved it. Before I go through the app to create a service for it, anyone else encounter this and have a fix?

Any aftermarket seat covers installed that make the seat thicker and pressed firmly against each other?
After I installed my Basenor leather seat covers, my auto fold down seats won’t even budge without me forcing them down.

When you flip the auto fold down switches in the trunk, do you hear a click and motor sound ?

Any aftermarket seat covers installed that make the seat thicker and pressed firmly against each other?
After I installed my Basenor leather seat covers, my auto fold down seats won’t even budge without me forcing them down.

When you flip the auto fold down switches in the trunk, do you hear a click and motor sound ?
No seat covers and yes I hear the click and motor. The one side folds down with force the other basically unlatches

Just picked up my Model Y this evening. The right seat will release and fold down with force, the left seat/middle seat unlatches but does not spring down. At first I thought maybe the seatbelt is in the way but nope didn't seem to matter when I moved it. Before I go through the app to create a service for it, anyone else encounter this and have a fix?
It may well be the lower seat trim. Mine is coming off and the mobile service guy stated that it's not uncommon for that to happen. If the trim is somehow loose or not fully seated, it can prevent the chair from fully tilting forward.

In my case, the second row driver's side (the 60% seat), does not re-latch. And it doesn't tilt all the way forward to allow entry into the 3rd row either. So there's a warning on my screen and a chime that constantly bongs. The mobile service guy could not find the cause. I'm going into Tesla service tomorrow to have it looked it, but if it's a bad motor, they won't have it for some time as it's not a stocked item. So now I have a car that's pretty useless to me, since it's not safe to transport my kids without the rear seat locked down.

It may well be the lower seat trim. Mine is coming off and the mobile service guy stated that it's not uncommon for that to happen. If the trim is somehow loose or not fully seated, it can prevent the chair from fully tilting forward.

In my case, the second row driver's side (the 60% seat), does not re-latch. And it doesn't tilt all the way forward to allow entry into the 3rd row either. So there's a warning on my screen and a chime that constantly bongs. The mobile service guy could not find the cause. I'm going into Tesla service tomorrow to have it looked it, but if it's a bad motor, they won't have it for some time as it's not a stocked item. So now I have a car that's pretty useless to me, since it's not safe to transport my kids without the rear seat locked down.
I'll take a look at the trim pieces. It was getting dark when I picked up the car and raining all night so short of checking anything major and body gaps I didn't give it too close of a look. Noticed the seat thing once I was home poking around in the dark. Hopefully they can figure out why yours isn't latching, seems like it would point more to the latch system then the motor though

I'll take a look at the trim pieces. It was getting dark when I picked up the car and raining all night so short of checking anything major and body gaps I didn't give it too close of a look. Noticed the seat thing once I was home poking around in the dark. Hopefully they can figure out why yours isn't latching, seems like it would point more to the latch system then the motor though
I think the problem is that it's a motorized latch system. I fail to understand why Tesla didn't just simply design a traditional mechanical latch. It's worked well for countless other vehicles. Motorizing it doesn't really add anything to the vehicle, since you still have to manually push the seat forward.

I picked up a 2023 Y a couple weeks ago and mine does the exact same thing as yours. Same seat too, rear drivers side. Rear pass side works fine.
Did you get yours fixed? If so, what was the issue?

Had the same issue I noticed on delivery day. They ended up having to replace part of the rear seat folding mechanism. Done under warranty. Service screenshot attached.
72E2CC40-6A6B-48F6-86C2-90A5DEC17609.jpeg

Had the same issue since my initially delivery in Feb 2022. Rear left/center seats (60% side) does not “spring back” down compared to the Right seat (40% side) which folds down pretty forcefully. I do hear the actuator and seat slightly move when the release button is pulled. I was told by several technicians on several different appointments (3-4x) at the Gilroy service center that it is not meant to spring down and cannot be fixed. I find that hard to believe and tried to push to get a new seat installed. This did not happen, but they said it may loosen up over time. As I near my 50,000 miles warranty (48k right now), I simply am running out of time to get it fixed.

Perhaps it is a first-world problem that I am focusing on too much.

Reactions: Noflash
Had the same issue since my initially delivery in Feb 2022. Rear left/center seats (60% side) does not “spring back” down compared to the Right seat (40% side) which folds down pretty forcefully. I do hear the actuator and seat slightly move when the release button is pulled. I was told by several technicians on several different appointments (3-4x) at the Gilroy service center that it is not meant to spring down and cannot be fixed. I find that hard to believe and tried to push to get a new seat installed. This did not happen, but they said it may loosen up over time. As I near my 50,000 miles warranty (48k right now), I simply am running out of time to get it fixed.

Definitely is. I have the same problem, but had completely forgotten about it. There are so many little items on my car that I don't think will age well. My kid pushed the charging flap down the other day and the snap it made wasn't reassuring.

What they are telling you is BS. Yes there is a proper fix for it. Tesla has to replace the back seat. I had mine done. They replaced the back seat and it works perfect now.

What they are telling you is BS. Yes there is a proper fix for it. Tesla has to replace the back seat. I had mine done. They replaced the back seat and it works perfect now.
I just got my Model Y and same thing. Right side flies down. Left side unlatches and needs to be assisted. Both pairs of release mechanisms (back seats and trunk) work the same. I am curious what constitutes perfect? Both unlatching and needing to be guided down?; both launching down? Or both moderately coasting down?

Reactions: Bacalao
I just got my Model Y and same thing. Right side flies down. Left side unlatches and needs to be assisted. Both pairs of release mechanisms (back seats and trunk) work the same. I am curious what constitutes perfect? Both unlatching and needing to be guided down?; both launching down? Or both moderately coasting down?
When you press the buttons both should fold down rather quickly. They should not need any guiding or persuading. Sounds like yours needs a new backseat like mine did.

Reactions: Bacalao

They should BOTH FLY DOWN. Got my Y December 2023. Same issue. Submitted service request. “No problem” we will order the part and have you in and out the same day. This was all December- February so exact times are a bit fuzzy.

About a week to get part. 2 days later it’s fixed. Work about 10 times. Then stopped working. Another order. Another week or so for parts. This time parts, supposedly a new rear seat, did not fix the problem.
Road trip scheduled so fix would have to wait. Back from road trip this time had to wait almost 2 weeks for parts, another seat. Took 1 ½ days to fix. Still works. 🤞

Only good thing about multiple trips was getting FSD twice in loaner cars. Last loaner was an S P100D with FSD AND Ludicrous+ enabled. Woo hoo! Launch mode much. YES!

When I returned that loaner and thanked them for the joy ride they said “what?? Ludicrous should not be enabled. I’ll have to disable it”.

Yeah make them fix it. Both sides should slam down. Good luck.