Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left front speaker buzz/feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 100d with premium audio. 2 seconds after opening the door the driver side front speaker, and only the drivers side, starts to buzz and I can feel the vibration from the speaker, especially with the door open. Mute, volume or source does nothing. Sound increases when the screen brightness is adjusted. Did a reboot but no luck. If I sit in the back it will stop once powered down; as soon as a door is opened it’s back. Any advice is appreciated.

Do you have the ambient lighting (the dim lighting under the door armrests)? It's been known to buzz under some circumstances. At least early on, the brightness level of the ambient lighting was tied to the display brightness, which makes me suspect this is the problem. Try turning the brightness up to 100% and see if it goes away; if so, that confirms it.

I don't know what Tesla's official fix for this was/is, but if you can tell the Service Center that the ambient lighting is buzzing. That will keep them from going off in the wrong direction (by trying to troubleshoot a speaker or amplifier problem).

FWIW, my 2012 drivers side door speaker would cut in and out. Finally it stopped completely -as in no sound at all. Turned out the wiring harness went bad - presumably from being flexed through opening and closing of the door over time - but JUST for the speaker in the door, not for any of the other functions (window, puddle light etc)- right at the flex point in the hinge. Replacing the harness is a PITA, so I just snaked a new pair of wires through the hinge rubber and bypassed the open circuit. It's possible that something similar is happening, except perhaps it's shorting against ground somewhere.