Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leilani Munter thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will come with the cloth textile seats that are an option for the base Model S (but not the Performance yet) ....

Nissan did the same thing with the LEAF. The new USA built versions come only with leather if you order the top model. For instance if you want to get the lower profile / sportier tires you have to get the leather. I let Nissan know I didn't like that approach. American's have a funny fixation with leather = luxury. Customers in many other countries don't view high quality cloth as downmarket like we do.

Some related threads here at TMC:

Textile Interior

non-leather seat option?

Nappa leather and environmentalism

...etc...

Last edited:
It was a prepared speech and IMO riding the thin line of self promotion.

Bob- Please give us your experience in public speaking?

In the last 30 years I've given on the order of 500 discourses and lectures in front of audiences ranging form a dozen people to 6,000 or more. I ALWAYS prepare... even if it's a last minute engagement that doesn't allow for much in the way of written notes.

Leilani did very nicely in my opinion, especially considering her expertise is primarily behind the wheel.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bobfitz1 viewpost-right.png

It was a prepared speech and IMO riding the thin line of self promotion.

If my entire career hinged on wearing other people's logos all over my clothes and car I would do likewise.

A little OT but being that my wife & I are also divers and having been fortunate enough to swim with dolphins in the wild, we thank you for your efforts in continuing to expose and stop things like what are documented in The Cove. We have not personally seen this movie and not sure we could actually watch it but support the efforts of preventing things like this from occurring!

Please watch it. The part you are afraid to watch is less than three minutes of the film. Many people assume they know what the film is about, but it is a very complex issue that cannot be addressed in one paragraph. Some of the best parts of the film come after the tough part. Close your eyes if you need, but the worst of the worst ended up on the cutting room floor in editing. We NEED everyone to watch this film, and then share it with their friends and family. I have held so many screenings. Everyone I have shown it to is moved to action. Please watch it and then let me know what you think, send me a PM. It's a very important film, and you will be a different person when you are done watching it. It's that kind of a film. It's powerful, important, and needs to be shared.

How much is a big time sponsor?
Maybe we could all chip in? Lol

I don't know the exact numbers, although I am going to have a conversation with a team soon and will be able to get a ballpark but it will be in the millions. Even on my current level of ARCA (two levels from the top level of NASCAR) a full season is around $1.5 million to run with a good team. If I move up to NASCAR Nationwide, the numbers jump to $10-15 million, and NASCAR Sprint Cup is in the order of $25 million for the good teams. Indy Lights is similar to ARCA numbers, and IndyCar is close to the Nationwide numbers. I didn't pick a cheap sport. The good thing is, if I don't come up with sponsorship to continue racing, at least I can take solace in my P85+. She will ease some of the pain of not being in a race car - if it comes to that.

Elon is making an exception for me, but I hope it will become an option for everyone in the future - someone posted this petition on my FB which asks Tesla to make it an option for everyone. I personally know a couple of people that skipped the performance model just so they could avoid the leather Ask Tesla Motors to offer Non-Leather / Vegan options for all models. - The Petition Site

It worked! Tesla Motors updated their website last night with some new options. Among them was the non-leather option for P85 Model S. Thanks Leilani!

Now I just hope that the other Tesla petition I signed (the one to Obama about Tesla selling direct) has the same positive results.

It worked! Tesla Motors updated their website last night with some new options. Among them was the non-leather option for P85 Model S. Thanks Leilani!

Now I just hope that the other Tesla petition I signed (the one to Obama about Tesla selling direct) has the same positive results.

I wish I had been able to get the non-leather option with my P85. But, at least now it is an option.

Congratulations to Leilani on great practice and testing runs yesterday (5th quickest and 2nd quickest in practice and 6th quickest in testing) and good luck in todays race !
I have never been all that interested in car racing but since meeting Leilani at Teslive I am now a big fan of hers and am very excited for todays race!

Race details:
February 15, 2014
Daytona International Speedway
ARCA Race, Live on FOX Sports 1
Coverage begins at 4pm Eastern

Last edited: