Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lessons from Model S to be applied to Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like the 2014 Tesla Model X to at least have the advanced features my 2010 Infiniti FX has (since I'll be replacing it with the Tesla), namely Around-View Monitor (a 360-degree top-down camera view for parking), adaptive cruise control, blind spot warning, lane departure warning, and front and rear parking sonar. But especially the 360-degree parking cameras which is available on every Infiniti, some Nissans, and some BMWs.

I really don't understand why people persist with this? At TESLIVE we were told (adamantly, twice) that the Model S AWD didn't exist.
Persist with what?

Saying that if there's new tech "in the wild" (physically) but "contained" (in Tesla test vehicles) it would more likely be in Jerome's car based on what he said at Teslive than in Elon's highly visible to the public during his publicized road trip vehicle?

Or saying that it's totally reasonable that Tesla might have an AWD Model S (or more) on the road -- regardless of whether it's a customer offering in the works -- because it's a very convenient way to get some stealth testing of Model X?

Or something else?

And regarding "told at TESLIVE it doesn't exist", I interpreted that to mean in a customer-ready form. If they don't have a Model S skateboard ("under" S vs. X is irrelevant IMO) undergoing some testing and calibration already, then they are way behind schedule on Model X R&D IMO.

Suggesting that there was an AWD prototype/mule/whatever Model S back in July, when Ted Merendino (who has great respect in the Tesla community) unequivocally stated twice that it didn't exist.
My recollection was that he was answering a different question than you are asserting he was asked.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying we are referencing different memories -- hence the different data we're drawing from.

I think we've (collectively) had this discussion before.

So, in answer to your question: The reason why people persist in discussion potential prototypes and mules for AWD is because it's totally logical* for R&D of AWD to have been underway as early as July (or earlier!), and they don't have the same interpretation of Ted's comments as you do.

* Taking this a bit further. If I was Elon, I would have had at least one engineer putting AWD in the skateboard before announcing the two motor Model X offering. How many people would have known about it? I have no idea. A skateboard with AWD is completely different from "a car", but you get my point, hopefully.

Feel free to move to the AWD thread, but when do you guess well see it out in the daylight?

I think it's certainly on Tesla's to-do list, but IMO it's probably low on the priority ranking. They've got everything from Model X to FW updates to Supercharger roll-out to store openings going on right now, not to mention that they're still keeping up with Model S production and shipping to Europe. From a business perspective, the sooner they get towards Gen III the better so I just don't see why a Model S AWD would be that important right now.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

P.S. One of the lessons from the Model S launch had to be focus; I think/hope that Tesla learned that for Model X.

I think it's certainly on Tesla's to-do list, but IMO it's probably low on the priority ranking. They've got everything from Model X to FW updates to Supercharger roll-out to store openings going on right now, not to mention that they're still keeping up with Model S production and shipping to Europe. From a business perspective, the sooner they get towards Gen III the better so I just don't see why a Model S AWD would be that important right now.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

P.S. One of the lessons from the Model S launch had to be focus; I think/hope that Tesla learned that for Model X.

All well and good; but the politician in you is showing ;) AWD Model S is shown off on or before what date exactly? My guess is Feb/March. As I think if they show it off now they'll get folks excited for winter driving, but showing it off in Spring for a Fall delivery would be nice.

- Internal storage. Children come with detritus. Model X will need a place to stash all that crap.

I agree on that! I was going to buy the model s without even testdrive it (i had all the funds and insurance OK. But luckily i got to test Model S before ordering (I got to test drive 2 days after talking to them, cause i was so sure to buy the car, current waiting time for testdrive in Norway is 2 months), but sadly i must be one of the few persons who didn't order the car after testdriving it. The downpoint for me was space and internal storage. Being a family man with a toddler, i need to put kids stuff some place. There was no space in the door, or not even pockets behind the seats. And also that the space in the backseats were a bit tight for 2 grownups to sit next to a child seat.

So with that disappointment (The kid in me told me to buy the car, but the father in me told me not to - Father with mother persuasion :( won ) i have now reserved the X. Hope that car is more suitable for us!

It's been hot here lately (temps over 100F) and aside from the well-worn rear-seat cupholders request I'm adding in that Model X really needs better rear-seat AC than Model S currently has. I'm not even talking 3rd row, the 2nd row in Model S is really limited for air when it's this hot.

It's been hot here lately (temps over 100F) and aside from the well-worn rear-seat cupholders request I'm adding in that Model X really needs better rear-seat AC than Model S currently has. I'm not even talking 3rd row, the 2nd row in Model S is really limited for air when it's this hot.

I completely agree. I've added fans for the 3rd row, and tinting on all windows (except the front).

I think one of the things that us Model X reservers owe the Model S owners is that a lot of the bugs that had to be worked out were done on their cars. Don't get me wrong, I think the level of quality of Models S is very high, but I bet we Xers won't have some of the squeaks, drivetrain noise/failure, etc that especially the early Models S had. Plus, there are probably a million little things from paint to seats to frunk closure etc etc that we will never know about that are better because the S blazed the way. I guess it means I'm not on the bleeding edge but rather an early adopter/fast follower, but I'm excited to be reserving a vehicle that I see as being in the "sweet spot" of technology. At the very least that's what I tell myself when I fire up my stinky ICE vehicle to go to work....

I think one of the things that us Model X reservers owe the Model S owners is that a lot of the bugs that had to be worked out were done on their cars. Don't get me wrong, I think the level of quality of Models S is very high, but I bet we Xers won't have some of the squeaks, drivetrain noise/failure, etc that especially the early Models S had. Plus, there are probably a million little things from paint to seats to frunk closure etc etc that we will never know about that are better because the S blazed the way. I guess it means I'm not on the bleeding edge but rather an early adopter/fast follower, but I'm excited to be reserving a vehicle that I see as being in the "sweet spot" of technology. At the very least that's what I tell myself when I fire up my stinky ICE vehicle to go to work....
AMEN brother

I re-read this thread for fun, and the essence of it is: "get the small details right". As a driving machine, the Model S is superb, but it was/is also somewhat "unfinished" as far as things like storage, winter-readiness, and rear-bench HVAC comfort.

I'm still wondering if it wouldn't be better to delay delivery a few months to let Tesla work out the initial problems with the X.

I don't know if people from Tesla saw this thread, but they probably agreed with you. As impatient as everyone (including myself) is for Model X, I can understand why Tesla is not in a hurry to release the X. As a "Generation 2.5" car, the X is not critical to the un-secret plan to bring the mass-market Model 3 into production. I see Model S as a "rough draft", with all the important lines and features in place, but not all the details, and the Model X as the product with all the features/functionality in sharp focus.