Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lessons from Model S to be applied to Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the recent discussions of cold weather driving, I think fixing the range loss / cabin heating issue should be very high on the priority list. While I'm not going to be using it for moving kids, I could easily imagine that many parents would be concerned about doing a trip with kids where the cabin heat was off or low and they had to stop for an hour and a half to recharge every 3 hours or so. It's one thing to have to make an emergency recharge stop for a few hours for an adult, but that sounds like it would be very hard on young children.

I think fixing the range loss / cabin heating issue should be very high on the priority list.

The problem here is you are running into a thermodynamics problem, that can't be solved. It takes energy to heat the cabin, you don't carry 'much' with you in the battery. The only thing that is going to help cabin heating is more energy (larger battery), more insulation, or moving to a heat pump (but as it gets colder they get less efficient). None of which will get you huge gains.

They can do something to help keep the batteries warm. But short of changing the chemistry, or laxing their protection of the batteries (not going to happen), they just can't be as deeply cycled when cold. I think Tesla could add a small air gap between the outside of the pack (on the bottom of the car), and fill it with coolant to allow heat transfer, or void it to help insulate. But dealing with a air/liquid system has lots of headaches. And if you start jostling around such a system it could be really hard to make ultra reliable.

We don't know how close to the undercarriage the actual battery is -- but it may be a simple matter of more insulation between the battery and the outside air. Or perhaps, like Supreme said, some fluid in that space that can be heated and cooled rather efficiently and maintains its temperature for decent amounts of time. I'm sure there's something that can be done.

That could be bypassed by making the frunk on the X open backwards (as many European cars do). It is not as convenient as a front-opening frunk, especially in a tall vehicle, but it is an option that's well researched for hoods.

That could be bypassed by making the frunk on the X open backwards (as many European cars do). It is not as convenient as a front-opening frunk, especially in a tall vehicle, but it is an option that's well researched for hoods.

Side opening folding falcon frunk! Like a falcon with canards.

(just kidding, the less moving parts the better. But a sideways opening frunk could be an alternative that avoids air-ram openings and also provides front access. Disclaimer: I'm sure there's a reason I don't work designing cars.)

Why wait for the Model X with these improvements? A lot of them - parking sensors, cup holders, center console front and back, coverage of window wipers - are not difficult to implement in the short term. Why not introduce them now? It will take away the practical objections some people have against the car, improve owner satisfaction and actually help Tesla sell more cars. Hopefully they will already introduce some improvements before European deliveries start this summer
:wink:

After the price increase, all Model S now have 12way adjustable heated seats with seat memory, even the textile ones.

Tesla stated that driver assistance systems like parking sensors, ACC, lane departure, and electrically folding side mirrors are not available to them due to low production volume. Suppliers simply won't produce to Tesla's specification for 20k units/year for a reasonable price. As Model S gains traction, I expect some movement here and there, though.

After the price increase, all Model S now have 12way adjustable heated seats with seat memory, even the textile ones.

Tesla stated that driver assistance systems like parking sensors, ACC, lane departure, and electrically folding side mirrors are not available to them due to low production volume. Suppliers simply won't produce to Tesla's specification for 20k units/year for a reasonable price. As Model S gains traction, I expect some movement here and there, though.

I don't doubt you, but I'd never seen a real reason given for the lack of these features before. Do you have a link to a source?

Really? Lack of parking sensors would be your deal breaker?
Rigid requirements over non-essentials like this is part of what contributes to the cancellation rate Tesla is seeing.

Delivery is too late. Delivery is too early. My cupholders are the wrong color. Does it come with a pony? I demand it comes with a pony. And a stable that is self-cleaning. Etc. It's a car, from a company that has only 2 vehicles on record. Accept it for what it is, rather than whining "deal-breaker" at every whimsical thing you "absolutely must have" to drive from point A to point B.

Expressing wants and desires, and honest critiques of shortcomings are fine. But cries of "deal-breaker" just make me want to look up your address on the intertubes and leave a wolf in your garage just to see how many people come when you cry about it.

Sorry, I'm grumpy today for some reason.

Model S is a big car and that can easily be intimidating for anyone trying to parallel park; however, IMO the rear view camera more than makes up for the lack of parking sensors. I think it's a given that the X will have at least the same rear-view camera.

Add blind spot detection to my must-have list. My current car, that I plan to replace with the Model X, has that, in addition to memory seats and parking sensors, front and rear. These features are common in cars costing half as much as the Model X is likely to cost. If I'm going to spend $90,000 on a car, I expect it to be a lot better equipped than the Model S currently is.

Add blind spot detection to my must-have list. My current car, that I plan to replace with the Model X, has that, in addition to memory seats and parking sensors, front and rear. These features are common in cars costing half as much as the Model X is likely to cost. If I'm going to spend $90,000 on a car, I expect it to be a lot better equipped than the Model S currently is.
Deal-breakers? :)

spatterso911 - did you get alloy gators? I'm thinking of getting some ... but shipping all the way from UK ... ?

If the assumption is that an EV drive train and battery = an ICE drivetrain, then the reasoning for comparable other features is valid. However, there's a certain premium in the EV investment so I suspect you're going to be disappointed.

rcf8000, I would be interested if you have taken a test drive and still feel the lack of these features are deal breakers?