Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lessons from Model S to be applied to Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla, you're beta testng now so don't forget:

Rear seat cupholders. And not the 50-Shades-of-Grey-leather-belt-round-your-ankles version, proper ones please.

I'm 99.9% sure that Tesla will get cupholders, and storage in general, right on the Model X. I can't remember where I read it, but I distinctly recall that Franz von Holhausen met with a group of prospective customers to discuss what Tesla could improve upon, and storage was a big issue for female buyers. Also, Elon did occasionally say that the Model S design wasn't as family-friendly as it could be, and that it was a bit too guy-centric.

The most popular family vehicles really have great storage options. I expect Tesla to be no exception. In my estimation, a Model X with handy storage features could easily outsell Model S in 2016 and beyond, unless the S gets some upgrades to its interior too.

Sold cars for 7 years and I'm a car I enthusiast. Know a bit about cars and what helps to sell cars. Improvements I think that would be cool:

- no white or beige carpet in the light interiors very important as the X is a family car. Also important for the light leather seats to be as stain resistant as possible.

- better vision from rear window.
- inbuilt rear booster seat, this help sell the xc 90 Volvo big time. Women love it and so do I.
- women also love more storage eg: large sun glasses compartment, 1,5 liter bottle holder in the front. Mobile phone, mirror with led light under sun blind.
- led interior lights that slowly brighten the interior, are at the floor and you can change color use new s class for comparison.
- led laser head lights 600m range with auto dimming when apposite approaching car. And day light running lights. Makes the car safer but also makes it look cool.
- outside rear view mirrors with lane changing assist and auto tilt when reversing- my wife loves this!
- never underestimate the importance of cool looking led tail lights. You have to think they are on all the time at night and leave a lasting impression to the car behind you. It's also the first thing they see. I think the model s tail lights are non significant. I love ones like the merc CLA 45 AMG.
- very important rear lane guidance lines on the 17" screen when reversing. I also believe parking sensors are important. Once you get used to them you don't want to live with out them even when you have a 17" screen/camera for reversing.

- no white or beige carpet in the light interiors very important as the X is a family car. Also important for the light leather seats to be as stain resistant as possible.
- inbuilt rear booster seat, this help sell the xc 90 Volvo big time. Women love it and so do I.
- women also love more storage eg: large sun glasses compartment, 1,5 liter bottle holder in the front. Mobile phone, mirror with led light under sun blind.

This is a no-brainer as you go from Elon-centric minimalist cool to genuine family vehicle.

- led interior lights that slowly brighten the interior, are at the floor and you can change color use new s class for comparison.
- led laser head lights 600m range with auto dimming when apposite approaching car. And day light running lights. Makes the car safer but also makes it look cool.

- never underestimate the importance of cool looking led tail lights. You have to think they are on all the time at night and leave a lasting impression to the car behind you. It's also the first thing they see. I think the model s tail lights are non significant. I love ones like the merc CLA 45 AMG.
- very important rear lane guidance lines on the 17" screen when reversing. I also believe parking sensors are important. Once you get used to them you don't want to live with out them even when you have a 17" screen/camera for reversing.

This stuff is now a no-brainer on $80k plus vehicles.

- outside rear view mirrors with lane changing assist and auto tilt when reversing- my wife loves this!

Outside rear view mirrors will be eliminated as soon as regulations allow. Replaced by cameras and significant improvements to aerodynamics.

You can't do this without compromising class leading aerodynamics. So it won't happen on the S.

The X will have better vision through the rear window by the nature of it being a CUV. But will probably be at or near worst in class.

I'm 99.9% sure that Tesla will get cupholders, and storage in general, right on the Model X. I can't remember where I read it, but I distinctly recall that Franz von Holhausen met with a group of prospective customers to discuss what Tesla could improve upon, and storage was a big issue for female buyers. Also, Elon did occasionally say that the Model S design wasn't as family-friendly as it could be, and that it was a bit too guy-centric.

(Emphasis mine.)

Female here and I so agree. I fell in love with the Model S and would have gone with it if there wasn't a Model X coming soon. I miss my Lexus RX300 that was totaled a few years ago. I expect the X to be even better -- not too big.

(Yes, I'm new but weren't we all?)

"Even better" . . . Hmmmm - as nice as your Lexus may have been, it was a bogus cobbling together of several different 19th century technologies that wasted 85% of its fuel as it operated (made heat). Yes indeed your Tesla will be even better, it will be the best car you have ever known.

Sold cars for 7 years and I'm a car I enthusiast. Know a bit about cars and what helps to sell cars. Improvements I think that would be cool:

you kidding?

tumblr_njk6yznnMc1qa6fpgo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ni2w8aQkot1qdoxnoo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nghf39nPYY1tzrqddo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nf6ie0VtUD1qigfjto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndvri6XwGH1u0p1npo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nd89km3pL61tfiv2ro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nd9d9kRxyn1rq8ge0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nd77uzQudJ1rekymbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nd7kqttHVG1ss8k4ao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nc3lflyEt91rr8g9uo1_1280.jpg

you kidding?
Would you mind showing a picture or two of model S lights for effect? It's hard to imagine without pictures.
While I like the geometrical style; the LED bumps along the roof and brightness grain in the back light to me look a bit antiquated. Not sure if EL strips can achieve the lumens required for such applications; but would yield a nicer style than 'lots of little bulbs in here'

Just did the factory tour yesterday as well as a test drive in a P85D.

They had rear lane guidance on the 17" screen when backing up. But I also thought it interesting that the guy was saying to use the rear camera during normal driving as a rear view mirror. The context was, use this when someone is in the back middle seat and blocking your view....

Here are some of my current ideas:

1. The second row definitely needs better A/C airflow. The third (currently trunk) has none at all. And I'm not fond at all of the front air vents either... they don't have a whole lot of flexibility to direct air where I want it, and they feel cheap. Overall, MUCH better A/C airflow and design is necessary throughout the whole car.

2. At least one cupholder per occupant.

3. Some storage per occupant. At least door pockets and seatback pockets are mandatory, as is a fold-down center section of the rear seat for additional storage/cupholders/armrests for the two rear-seat occupants on the sides. The complete lack of storage is a MAJOR downside from my wife's point of view, and she's tempted to forgo the X and keep her BMW because of that. :-(

4. Some way to do rear-seat entertainment. I'm not fond of proprietary RES systems because they're very limited and they become obsolete very quickly... but kids get tired of holding up a tablet, OK? Either a way to have a built-in RES, or perhaps a seat-back bracket to hold a tablet, or SOMETHING that lets the kids watch something handsfree.

5. I'd really, REALLY like to see a mobile app that I can authorize from the front touchscreen. That way, authorized users could control the A/C and music settings from their phone/tablet, and they could see the navigation/energy progress from the apps. Plenty of cool stuff you could do with this... but just letting the kids in the back control the car's music through the app would be a godsend.

6. Please, the built-in WiFi hotspot for everyone. If necessary, offer it as an additional purchase so the car so the car can have a mobile-data plan for firmware updates and whatever Tesla needs, and a second mobile-data modem that can power the hotspot. The hotspot should ideally be modular, as should the mobile-data modem, so that we can upgrade from 802.11n to 802.11ac or from 3G to LTE as technology progresses.

7. The ability to install an SSD in the glove box, or at least another USB port, for music storage so I don't have to have a USB memory stick always using one of the ports between the seats.

8. As both a safety and comfort feature, the car should sense if any seat is occupied (weight plus heat?) and not turn off the power -- especially the climate control and music -- if the driver steps out. If we're going somewhere and I forgot my hat, then I have to put the car in neutral and set the parking brake while I go back into the house. If I just put it into park and step out, my wife and kids are left in a dead car with no A/C and no tunes. Does not buy goodwill.

9. A top-down 360-degree view for parking. My wife's BMW has this and she values it immensely.

10. Side sunshades for the rear windows. Manual is fine, electric is ideal. Again, my wife's BMW has this and she loves it.

11. Some towing capacity with a standard/removable rear hitch, which I could also use for a bike rack.

12. The ability to REALLY raise the car for much better ground clearance, whether that's for rough roads or muddy/snowy conditions.

13. Absolutely mandatory, at least one powered USB port per occupant, with at least 10W (2A @ 5V) charging capacity.

14. Better range for the key fob sensors. My S often doesn't know I'm there unless I approach from the front or unless I'm very close.

15. A desktop app that allows you to route/plan as you would if you were in the car.

16. The ability to send an address or routing to the car's nav system.

17. The ability to set an "exit/entry" profile. Suspension, seat position, wheel position, and so on.

Great list! I'll add my opinion on a few, but generally agree for almost all of it.

1. The second row definitely needs better A/C airflow. The third (currently trunk) has none at all. And I'm not fond at all of the front air vents either... they don't have a whole lot of flexibility to direct air where I want it, and they feel cheap. Overall, MUCH better A/C airflow and design is necessary throughout the whole car.
Hopefully 2nd and 3rd floor will get improved vents (and actual vents). Haven't had any issues with my front Model S vents.

2. At least one cupholder per occupant.
Just the 1 dear? (Ab Fab reference). That's a no brainer and if they miss that, the market will react on it for sure. (read: the family target market won't buy it).

3. Some storage per occupant. At least door pockets and seatback pockets are mandatory, as is a fold-down center section of the rear seat for additional storage/cupholders/armrests for the two rear-seat occupants on the sides. The complete lack of storage is a MAJOR downside from my wife's point of view, and she's tempted to forgo the X and keep her BMW because of that. :-(
Hopefully the front will get something and then the seat backs will have those kangaroo pouches at least. Hoping for more too.

4. Some way to do rear-seat entertainment. I'm not fond of proprietary RES systems because they're very limited and they become obsolete very quickly... but kids get tired of holding up a tablet, OK? Either a way to have a built-in RES, or perhaps a seat-back bracket to hold a tablet, or SOMETHING that lets the kids watch something handsfree.
And I'll pass on RES too. I would be worried it would get outdated too quickly and very costly for maintenance. There are some aftermarket hangers that iPads can be placed over the seats. For longer trips I can't see this being a difficult to slide a device into it. And people are having these as personal multi-use devices.

5. I'd really, REALLY like to see a mobile app that I can authorize from the front touchscreen. That way, authorized users could control the A/C and music settings from their phone/tablet, and they could see the navigation/energy progress from the apps. Plenty of cool stuff you could do with this... but just letting the kids in the back control the car's music through the app would be a godsend.
That would be wonderful feature! I would imagine this is coming (think rear executive model S seats are going to have it first).

6. Please, the built-in WiFi hotspot for everyone. If necessary, offer it as an additional purchase so the car so the car can have a mobile-data plan for firmware updates and whatever Tesla needs, and a second mobile-data modem that can power the hotspot. The hotspot should ideally be modular, as should the mobile-data modem, so that we can upgrade from 802.11n to 802.11ac or from 3G to LTE as technology progresses.
Isn't this a waste? I think another company is trying this and its just doesn't make sense to me. Again likely will get outdated too quickly and likely hard to upgrade. Perhaps carry a mobile hotspot would make more sense and easier to upgrade as the technology changes.

7. The ability to install an SSD in the glove box, or at least another USB port, for music storage so I don't have to have a USB memory stick always using one of the ports between the seats.
Great idea! Kinda like having a CD changer in the truck.

8. As both a safety and comfort feature, the car should sense if any seat is occupied (weight plus heat?) and not turn off the power -- especially the climate control and music -- if the driver steps out. If we're going somewhere and I forgot my hat, then I have to put the car in neutral and set the parking brake while I go back into the house. If I just put it into park and step out, my wife and kids are left in a dead car with no A/C and no tunes. Does not buy goodwill.
Doesn't this work today? The occupant just has to touch the screen to activate it when the driver leaves them. But great idea to have it automatic (with an option to have it automated or the current Model S way).

And +1 for the rest!
9. A top-down 360-degree view for parking. My wife's BMW has this and she values it immensely.
10. Side sunshades for the rear windows. Manual is fine, electric is ideal. Again, my wife's BMW has this and she loves it.
11. Some towing capacity with a standard/removable rear hitch, which I could also use for a bike rack.
12. The ability to REALLY raise the car for much better ground clearance, whether that's for rough roads or muddy/snowy conditions.
13. Absolutely mandatory, at least one powered USB port per occupant, with at least 10W (2A @ 5V) charging capacity.
14. Better range for the key fob sensors. My S often doesn't know I'm there unless I approach from the front or unless I'm very close.
15. A desktop app that allows you to route/plan as you would if you were in the car.
16. The ability to send an address or routing to the car's nav system.
17. The ability to set an "exit/entry" profile. Suspension, seat position, wheel position, and so on.

Isn't this a waste? I think another company is trying this and its just doesn't make sense to me. Again likely will get outdated too quickly and likely hard to upgrade. Perhaps carry a mobile hotspot would make more sense and easier to upgrade as the technology changes.

The point about in-car Wi-Fi is ability to use car's aerial. A metal cage is not the best place for signal - and an impossible one if Tesla ever decides to offer actual premium glazing.

As for RES, it is not really elegant to have to rely on after market hacks and dangling wires on a $140k car. At the very least a factory option for tablet mounts and power would be a reasonable minimum.

The point about in-car Wi-Fi is ability to use car's aerial. A metal cage is not the best place for signal - and an impossible one if Tesla ever decides to offer actual premium glazing.

Good point. If someone even does this aftermarket then that would surely be a benefit.

As for RES, it is not really elegant to have to rely on after market hacks and dangling wires on a $140k car. At the very least a factory option for tablet mounts and power would be a reasonable minimum.
Power at the seats would be a very reasonable minimum for sure. I wonder what the Model X got. :D

As far as mounts, perhaps not. I think personal multi-use devices and wearable technology are only going to get more popular. These devices will be in the users hands or on their body most of the time.

Nonsense. If that were true then cell phones wouldn't work inside cars.

We have a jetpack (WiFi hotspot) that has been used in our car on many trips, with my daughter doing her homework online while we're driving. The advantage of the mobile device is that it can be swapped between vehicles, or anywhere else, and is just a single device on our family plan.

I understand reporters taking the fully loaded P90D and painting the entire Model S line as a "$140,000 car" but you know better. That's like saying "oh you drive a 5 series BMW? That's a $120,000 car. Crazy!" Yes the car is still very expensive but I'd bet the average is closer to $90,000.