Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let Tesla know what features or tech the Roadster should have to make it even more awesome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About cameras and static display instead of mirrors, the Model 3 has an interior camera -- it could use driver head position and motion to alter the angle of apparent view in the camera displays (and the displays could have left/right discrete images so the passenger sees whatever they want to see.)

This is also the list of things I wish they would upgrade on the S:

In a car that now has 200 cameras in AP2, Top down parking camera view with side cross view. This is exceptionally helpful in my Audi Q7. There is nothing worse than grinding the front of your carbon fiber front splitter over the concrete stop in the grocery parking lot.

Current cabin temperature. This is already known on the app.

Blind spot warning on the side mirrors. It’s an industry standard. When driving quickly you don't have time to look for the "whiskers" on the car icon in the center of the dashboard.

on the Energy ring that shows the current kW, it would be really helpful if the ring glowed RED when you are in insane/ludicrous/plaid mode, and BLUE for range mode (which is the practical opposite). That way, at a glance you know if you need to change modes. Many cars change their display depending on the mode they are in.

Center console screen saver, that goes black when driving at night, or when you don't want visual distractions.

Front and rear engine icons on the little picture of the car on the status app showing which engines have been put to sleep. If you are driving in Plaid mode they should show the current power like the BMWs do and the Audi R8.
The engine monitors could display any combination of hp / torque / kW / rpm / % of max power.
This shows you how much engine power you have in reserve, in just the same way a tachymeter does in a sports car, front and center.

A proper adjustable suspension system (magnetorheological or better) so that you can change ride height and so you can DECREASE compliance when you decrease ride height, instead of the other way around as on the current S.
This is the real feature that would be the mark that Elon is serious. I'd expand that to ask for a real active suspension.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Another vote for taking 500 kg out of the battery to make it a serious drivers' car and not just a straight line poser. I expect they could maintain or get very close to the 1.9 sec 0-60 as that is largely down to tyre grip limits anyway, but it would perhaps have to make do with a sub 200 mph top speed. Handling on the other hand would be night and day better for it.

A wide choice of different paint colors would be nice. Tesla seems to offer a limited choice on existing models.

Agree about the serious drivers car - perhaps a "club sport" type edition with a focus on handling and less on performance / range.

Reactions: smac and Colasec
Okay. An unusual request. It is imperative that I be able to fit a wheelchair in the back. Please, for all that is good, allow something like this fit in the rear hatch area. I'll admit, this isn't my chair but it's similar. I do like this one though. If it's easier, please feel free to design a lightweight rigid frame wheelchair that will fit in the current design. I'll leave that to you and your engineers.

Oh, a track package is essential as well. Got to be able to take it to a track for a few sessions per day.

Scott

wheelchair.jpg

I think that wheelchair is ready for the track!

No way to know for sure right now if there is a wheelchair that could fit in the trunk of the new Roadster since we have no trunk dimensions. Which makes designing one to fit pretty difficult.

What are the dimensions of your current wheelchair when collapsed?

Okay. An unusual request. It is imperative that I be able to fit a wheelchair in the back. Please, for all that is good, allow something like this fit in the rear hatch area. I'll admit, this isn't my chair but it's similar. I do like this one though. If it's easier, please feel free to design a lightweight rigid frame wheelchair that will fit in the current design. I'll leave that to you and your engineers.

Oh, a track package is essential as well. Got to be able to take it to a track for a few sessions per day.

Scott

View attachment 268605
Since the roof fits in the back, my guess is that the wheelchair would fit just fine, as long as it's no wider than the car. Seems that way, no? But you'd need to keep the roof on, or leave it at home.

I'm in the process of getting a new chair. I found one that is made out of magnesium. The complete chair, less cushion and rear wheels weighs less than a gallon of milk. Check out the BT-Mg. Lasher Sport BT Magnesium Model Comparison

Overall, the chair isn't that large but it is awkward based on it's dimensions. The back rest is about 12" high. In total, without the rear wheels on, it is 18" wide. Measurement B is about 18", C is 22", D is irrelevant. E is 18". The front down tube angle is 85* (IIRC). With the rear wheels off it becomes an L shape but it all depends on the shape of the interior. Hope this measurements help. I just don't have the ability to get out to California to see these vehicles. I'm going to need to see a model 3 soon as I am an early reservation holder.

I figured the roof would have to stay home of possibly directly behind the front seats. I'd have to get a look in there to see. This is also a very large concern for me as I''d like to get the wife a model 3 but only if I can
put my chair in the trunk.

Do the engineers ever come chat with us for things like this? That would be outstanding. Hope this stuff helps.

wheelchair dimentions.png

I used to use a road racing chair similiar to this but they are too uncomfortable for me. I prefer to race in a hand cycle. Much more comfortable. But ultimately, my sport is rowing. It is what I excel at. The first is a hand cycle. The sleaker leaner one is a push rim racer. Both can be very fast.
handcycle.jpgracer.jpg
handcycle.jpg
handcycle.jpg
racer.jpg
racer.jpg
handcycle.jpg
handcycle.jpg

This is also a very large concern for me as I''d like to get the wife a model 3 but only if I can put my chair in the trunk.
I’ve seen the Model 3 trunk up close. Although I did not measure the dimensions of the opening, I am confident that the wheelchair you gave dimensions for will fit in that trunk.

It will very likely fit in the new Roadster trunk as well. But we won’t know the exact size of that trunk for a few years.

A solid roof option without the targa roof, which breaks up the lines and has less strength.

Improve the styling of the body with a better looking front end and a smaller windshield for more of a closed, supercar appearance.

Completely break away from any resemblance to the old Roadster, including the name. Rename the Roadster the Tesla F-1, a reference to Falcon 1, a Space X rocket.

Of course, I'm still buying one and I have not seen the car in person.

• Disagree
Reactions: smac and stevejust
Less battery with lower weight and hence better handling and stopping even if 0-60 were "only" 2.2 seconds. Range would still be well over 300 miles and would cost less too. I'd also add scissor doors like McLaren and Lamborghini. To me that screams supercar. And last but not least Electric roof ala McLaren and Ferrari not a removable targa roof like a Corvette!
I love the idea of scissor door. This would inforce the supercar idea. Everything else is there. We need a super-cool door.

I am not familiar with a “cheap” Ferrari. :)

I think you could have picked up an, ahem, Ferrari Dino for under $20k for the last 20 or 30 years, if the only criteria you have is that it be a Ferrari.

Perhaps it could be the first Tesla model where you do not have to replace the supplied wiper blades with ones that actually work:)

I know it does not rain in California but it does in the UK.

So... you're going to drive a $200-$250k car... in the rain?

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
So... you're going to drive a $200-$250k car... in the rain?

Absolutely - I have used my 2010 Roadster as a daily driver since new and it actually copes with wet roads better than a single motor Model S. The traction control allows you to floor it in any weather with confidence ( a big well done / thank you to whoever set that up) . As the car is a mix of carbon fiber and aluminium there is less worry than most cars about corrosion.

I hope the new Roadster is an even better all year car and it will be great to get some of the Model S/X creature comforts such as remote heating via app.

Anyway we are supposed to post new features here so here are a couple more fun ones

1) Alexa / Siri integration - often when driving along it would be really helpful to know the answer to important questions such as how much does the earth weigh.
2) Have programmable performance modes where you can select a max acceleration and top speed. OK thats a bit boring but if you could also upload a image for each one (and perhaps a sound clip) then you could "choose" what lesser car to emulate. Eg drive to work in a VW beetle, pop to the shops in a Ford Model T and come back home in a McLaren F1

Reactions: MikeBur