Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let Tesla know what features or tech the Roadster should have to make it even more awesome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HUD or AR sunglasses.
Active aero focused on braking distance and targeting much better than 90-100 feet for 60 to 0 mph.
Active and preemptive suspension.
High resolution headlights.
Pac-Man on the map easter egg. While at it they might as well add AR lunar (or Mars) lander. Oh and crazy frog engine noise or at least the sound of a jet engine easter egg.

Elon has said Tesla will have EAP video available as dashcam feature in the future.
Elon has been saying that for a few years now. Don't believe this will happen because of privacy regulation that is different in every country. Some countries prohibit dashcams completely, others allow it for personal use and it's up to the judge to accept it or not.

Why would that be an issue when it is software activated?

That would mean geofencing the capability and not just a setting for the country of delivery for one. Would you want to have a feature that you don't quite know when it will work?
Also, having 8 cameras at decent quality is a heck of a lot of footage to store somewhere (1080p in dashcams takes about 70-95MB per minute). Tesla's don't have any SSD capability that can handle the size of the footage, nor will a USB connection be fast enough to continuously save all that footage on an external SSD you may need to plug in.
I see some hardware challenges that won't make this an OTA update alone...

Tesla already has different firmware for cars in different country or region. To do that with dashcam data, if needs to be, is not an issue at all. Data will not be saved locally. Like everything Tesla your dashcam data will go to cloud server but you will be able to access through the app.

Tesla already has different firmware for cars in different country or region. To do that with dashcam data, if needs to be, is not an issue at all. Data will not be saved locally. Like everything Tesla your dashcam data will go to cloud server but you will be able to access through the app.
First of all, the firmware is per region, not per country. In Belgium you get the same firmware as everyone else in Europe. Secondly, have you thought about how much data that is uploading to the cloud? You're talking about over 600MB every single minute. There is no cell connection that can handle that. Maybe SpaceX's Starlink network will eventually, but that will take a$the better part of a decade to complete probably, considering the amount of satellites that requires.

But in the end, we're all just guessing. Only time will tell what they do and how they do it...

First of all, the firmware is per region, not per country. In Belgium you get the same firmware as everyone else in Europe.

The two North American countries use different firmware. EU is lumped together probably because they all have the same rules and regulations.

[/QUOTE]Secondly, have you thought about how much data that is uploading to the cloud? You're talking about over 600MB every single minute. There is no cell connection that can handle that. Maybe SpaceX's Starlink network will eventually, but that will take a$the better part of a decade to complete probably, considering the amount of satellites that requires...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely makes no sense. Tesla is already sending all video data to server for EAP/FSD machine learning purposes.

Absolutely makes no sense. Tesla is already sending all video data to server for EAP/FSD machine learning purposes.

I understand what your are saying, but Tesla is not uploading every single minute of driving from all 8 cameras. But we'll see how he plans on doing this. Perhaps we have to pay for the cellular connection to save tesla the cost and they make the dashcam feature optional. But in most of the EU there is no real unlimited data plan available. And if it is, then it's not affordable...

Can't the cameras just loop and rewrite every couple of minutes? Then they only save if there is an event eg sudden acceleration
Then they transmit THAT 2 minute epoch to the servers- just need enough on board memory for a couple of minutes of video?

Can't the cameras just loop and rewrite every couple of minutes? Then they only save if there is an event eg sudden acceleration
Then they transmit THAT 2 minute epoch to the servers- just need enough on board memory for a couple of minutes of video?

That is indeed one option. Blackvue dashcams don't record when in parking mode and only record in case of an event. However, somebody keying your car wont be registered in parking mode as it does not involve a movement of the car. Luckily it also records in case of any movement detected. However, parking your car in a busy street would have constant recording.
So, there is room for improvement there. I'm sure if Tesla will actually do this, they will have thought of this...

If we already have noise-cancellation headphones, why don't we have noise-cancellation cars. I have heard that Teslas usually have noisy interior from the road or from the wind. So hopefully the 2020 roadster will have a quiet interior at high speed. I like to listen to music on the road so I hate to have noisy cabin.

Reactions: aikisteve
If we already have noise-cancellation headphones, why don't we have noise-cancellation cars. I have heard that Teslas usually have noisy interior from the road or from the wind. So hopefully the 2020 roadster will have a quiet interior at high speed. I like to listen to music on the road so I hate to have noisy cabin.

Good idea. Although I love my Model S, my 2014 Infiniti had this - sort of. It had "white noise" generation to reduce outside noise... technically not the same as noise cancellation, but in the right direction. (Although sometimes, when it was quiet, the white noise was a bit annoying.)

Easy to replace/upgrade battery pack as it would be very important for depreciation. If it's costly to replace battery, depreciation will be problematic.
If they got 8y warranty, by the time that runs out, a 200kWh pack could be available at 10k$ and upgrades to larger packs very possible. Some flexibility to easily(cheaply) improve charging rates with a pack upgrade would be nice too.

I'm in the process of getting a new chair. I found one that is made out of magnesium. The complete chair, less cushion and rear wheels weighs less than a gallon of milk. Check out the BT-Mg. Lasher Sport BT Magnesium Model Comparison

Overall, the chair isn't that large but it is awkward based on it's dimensions. The back rest is about 12" high. In total, without the rear wheels on, it is 18" wide. Measurement B is about 18", C is 22", D is irrelevant. E is 18". The front down tube angle is 85* (IIRC). With the rear wheels off it becomes an L shape but it all depends on the shape of the interior. Hope this measurements help. I just don't have the ability to get out to California to see these vehicles. I'm going to need to see a model 3 soon as I am an early reservation holder.

I figured the roof would have to stay home of possibly directly behind the front seats. I'd have to get a look in there to see. This is also a very large concern for me as I''d like to get the wife a model 3 but only if I can
put my chair in the trunk.

Do the engineers ever come chat with us for things like this? That would be outstanding. Hope this stuff helps.

View attachment 268691

I used to use a road racing chair similiar to this but they are too uncomfortable for me. I prefer to race in a hand cycle. Much more comfortable. But ultimately, my sport is rowing. It is what I excel at. The first is a hand cycle. The sleaker leaner one is a push rim racer. Both can be very fast.
View attachment 268693View attachment 268694View attachment 268693View attachment 268693View attachment 268694View attachment 268694View attachment 268693View attachment 268693
I think that they have a design studio that does special versions - normally for a special price but try to see if they would help here. They turned out a bunch of surf boards that fit into their other cars. Elon gets a kick out of helping people; if you look in the margins you can see him doing all sorts of stuff like this.