Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets not complain about SC costs...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
Currently on holiday in and around Lake Como. Lovely place, surprisingly reasonable food/hotel costs......Loads of EV chargers around, 8 22KW posts near where we are staying and hardly used, and I can see why.

Nearest SC is 30 minutes up the road, that'll do me fine as an excuse to get away from the family horde (and save about €60 for a near full charge!!)

53057886842_df75a50b31_c_d.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: boombap and Cardo
Not just SC costs. I’m beginning to see some very reasonable charge costs appearing again. Doubt if free will ever be the same again but starting to see some general prices appearing that are below my day unit rate.
Really? My experience is that there is nowhere below 50p/kWh for 7kW, going up to about £1/kWh when you get to the crooks like Instavolt or Osprey.

I’ve been quite surprised by the cost of Ubitricity lamppost charging. 34p per kW in most places in London and (luckily for me) 24p per kW near my home.

But after a 1,240 mile trip around Scotland last week using only SCs, I did some calculations and it only cost me £115. I thought that very reasonable.

I stayed at a campsite this week where they didn’t allow charging through the EHU, however did have EV chargers on site. Checked them out, they wanted €0.70/kWh for 7kW chargers. You’re ok, thanks, I’ll just use the free rapids in the town 15 minutes away. 🙃

I stayed at a campsite this week where they didn’t allow charging through the EHU, however did have EV chargers on site. Checked them out, they wanted €0.70/kWh for 7kW chargers. You’re ok, thanks, I’ll just use the free rapids in the town 15 minutes away. 🙃

They may be very happy all EV owners doing so if it advoids a costly upgrade to their connection .

Can hardly blame Tesla for it, though. They’re already around half the cost of other rapids. The UK needs to sort out the cost of electricity and remove 20% VAT from commercial charging.
That's the way government can continue to collect taxes on vehicles like they do with conventional fuels. I don't believe for a second they are going to renounce that.
Be grateful we only have 20% instead of the 50% duties on petrol

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
That's the way government can continue to collect taxes on vehicles like they do with conventional fuels. I don't believe for a second they are going to renounce that.
Be grateful we only have 20% instead of the 50% duties on petrol
Charging VAT on commercial charging is a silly way to replace petrol duty. I’m convinced we’ll end up with road charging (as in billing, not charging up from roads), though that will no doubt bring in its own issues with people using cloned plates, not running the tracking boxes, or however they end up tracking road use.

Reactions: ringi
Charging VAT on commercial charging is a silly way to replace petrol duty. I’m convinced we’ll end up with road charging (as in billing, not charging up from roads), though that will no doubt bring in its own issues with people using cloned plates, not running the tracking boxes, or however they end up tracking road use.
I mean they do charge VAT on petrol (in addition to the 50p duties per litre also). Why would they forfeit it for electricity? After all the purpose is the same

I mean they do charge VAT on petrol (in addition to the 50p duties per litre also). Why would they forfeit it for electricity? After all the purpose is the same
The issue is electricity at home only incurs 5% VAT, so the current setup predominantly disadvantages those without off-street parking. It does seem rather unfair to disadvantage someone because they can’t have a driveway due to location/cost?

Reactions: ringi
The issue is electricity at home only incurs 5% VAT, so the current setup predominantly disadvantages those without off-street parking. It does seem rather unfair to disadvantage someone because they can’t have a driveway due to location/cost?
It's definitely and interesting debate, and I see your point, but I think that nationally, lowering VAT on public charging will not happen.
Government will have to maintain a source of revenue this way the way they did with traditional fuels. They have already removed almost every incentive for EV ownership, or announced it for the next couple years (VED, London CC, etc..) so I don't really see them making a new concession.

It's true the minority who can charge at home (including myself) do benefit from a small advantage at present, which they probably paid through other means (driveways are taken into account in the property valuation so higher council tax band, stamp duty, etc..).

But wouldn't it be unfair as well that an ICE motorist who can't afford to switch cars has to pay 20% VAT when filling up at a petrol station, if on the same forecourt, an EV user can do the same at 5% VAT?
We could reverse that argument endlessly.

Being pessimistic, if anything in the future, it will probably be the other way around and through smart meters and tariffs, providers will find a way to keep the 5% rate for actual domestic usage and isolate the part that was used for charging our cars and VAT it at 20%.... (well I shouldn't be giving them ideas...)