Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's Play "Find the Code Violations"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is not true at all. A NEMA 14-30 receptacle can absolutely be used with a 30 amp breaker. In fact if you put a 40 amp breaker on a 30 amp receptacle, you would risk starting a fire because your receptacle is only rated at 30 amps.

What needs to be limited to 80% of the circuit's current is any continuous load (i.e. an EVSE). He can only plug a 24 amp EVSE into this outlet. Like a Clipper Creek LCS-30P with a NEMA L6-30 plug to match the receptacle he has chosen.

The biggest mistake the guy made was not using an old work box to protect the receptacle in the wall. Several other things people have pointed out are valid as well, but he did choose the correct wire, breaker, and receptacle.
Agreed. This is the very first time I have ever seen someone install an outlet in a wall without a box - it never occurred to me before that anyone would ever do this... I knew better than that by the time I was 14 years old....

You are correct. Not sure what I was thinking. Actually I was thinking I had a 50 amp breaker on a 14-40 (no such thing) rather than a 40 amp breaker on a 14-50.

It sucks getting old!o_O

P.S. I'll ask the moderator to delete the erroneous post.

No worries and don't worry about deleting! The great thing about the collective knowledge of this forum is if you read the entire thread you can get a very accurate picture of the topic at hand. I learned a ton of electrical knowledge from the many wall connector threads which helped me eventually do my own installs.

One thing not mentioned to add to the already horrible install is that he used pointy drywall screws to attach the receptacle to the drywall (I know, how else would he attach it to the drywall:confused:) Even in a box pointy screws are never to be used.

problem is that too many electricians hear about the Tesla that someone just bought, and the prices quadruple. Then, you end up with folks like this doing it themselves.
i got lucky i had a 6-50 installed when i had my porsche.. turned out the company i hired put in a 30amp circuit instead so they came out and replaced everything no questions asked and had them put the 14-50 in while they were here.