TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Let's talk about the future of Tesla Motors Club

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by danny, Jul 22, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I thought we had that at the bottom of the page. Did it go away with the new format?

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Good to see it on the site. Thanks for the update mpt.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

How about under 'Tesla Motors Club' in small print 'The Unofficial Tesla Forum' or something like that?

4. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I agree. I wish Tesla Motors would adopt/buy these forums. Reading Teslas forums is like going back to 1st grade. Nobody there knows much.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree but it's nice the official forum is kind of a the only one known by most people. All of the perpetual motion and solar panel threads are over there. I understand there were a lot of posts like that here in the beginning too though. The forum software Tesla uses is horrible though, I agree.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They're not going to adopt them, because they don't have control. And I sure hope they don't buy them. Frankly, these forums are better managed, and have a much higher signal-to-noise ratio.

It would be a huge improvement if they adopted the same forum software, though!

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I think it's important these forums stay independent.

Actually, short of trolls, i don't think we had too much discussion about perpetual motion type stuff. While at the beginning the discussions were quite technical, they were sensible.

8. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I can understand where you are coming from. It just bothers me that the official Tesla website has such poor and full of misinformation forums.

Most people that first hear of Tesla go straight to their website, and I'm sure it's not good to have such nonsense there. This forum is full of the kind of information a potential customer or an actual Tesla owner needs.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I miss the owners forum

10. SByer

SByer '08 #383

One of the latest forum updates seems to have broken the "go to first unread post" links from both the New Posts top level search and from the top of individual forums. I'm so used to doing "New Posts" then Cmd-clicking the first new post icon for each thread to pre-load up a bunch of stuff and read through things faster.

11. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Are you logged on? The forum tracks unread status in the user information. FYI, to be clear, the link you're using, it is the little round chevron to the left of the thread title?

12. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

First... thanks for providing a space on the intenet where I can share in the joy of Tesla Motors and its product offerings with the other members on this forum.

My suggestion for a new forum name would be "EverythingEV.com" which allows for the coverage of anything EV related. A drawback may be having to manage something twice the size of this forum but it will open up the discussions.

Again, thanks for allow this geek/nerd to become and even bigger geek/nerd. LOL!!!!! Godspeed....

13. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Chevron ?!!? What's a Chevron ? (Besides ... this is an EV Forum is it not ??! LOL ( I still hate the new emoticons! )

(Don't reply ... this is a rhetorical "rant".)

14. SByer

SByer '08 #383

#54 SByer, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    Yes, logged on, and yes, little chevron on the blue button. Worked on Sunday, not yesterday or today. In Chrome, of course.

If, on one of the thread pages, I click on the View First Unread link at the thread top banner, the page briefly flashes to a location on the page that seems somewhat correct, then goes back to the top, and the View First Unread link is absent at that point.

I went back to the latest Chrome on the stable channel, and it shows the issue, too. It's like the forum is double-acting on an event or something.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I find that I have to re-login (enter name and password) frequently when visiting again.
    It is like my "cookies" are very short lived.

16. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

I haven't noticed anything unusual lately. I use IE8. But after SByers note ... the "chevron" is there next to "View First Unread" in a particular thread. But not sure what is being talked about by "go to first unread" ... I don't know where to find that. I haven't had to log in in ages, so I don't have TEGs problem. But something I just noticed, (being prompted to poke around due to the reported issue), clicking the button "Forum Tools" in the header of a listing of several threads shows four BLANK choices, which only become "visible" when you hover over them (each one in turn, then rest go blank again).

17. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I'm using Safari; father of Chrome without issue. I've tried IE8 also without issue. I don't want to get into a browser debate but I've seen more issues with chrome rendering and javascript processing that with other browsers.

To get to the bottom of this I find pictures are better than words; would you mind attaching screen shots to help me see the issue?

One last thing, we're two point releases behind the current version of vBulletin; they're always patching these sort of bugs. We're not at the latest release as they're having all sorts or scripting exploits with the 4.0.8 current release... they're already on patch number 2 but when that settles I'll update.

Thanks as always.

18. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

It looks like things have changed for the better over at the tesla website forums. I'm guessing that the newly visible threads with the key symbol have migrated from the owners forum?

19. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Screenshots of issue with blank menus in ForumTools attached.

Attached Files:

20. SByer

SByer '08 #383

And this morning it's fine. Hmm, maybe some stale JS ended up in the cache or something. Sigh. The web is still write once debug everywhere.