Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk CT wiper......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the wiper is stored Vertical as in the pic this is going to be a HUGE issue for 60% of the country. I have posted about this multiple times but you cannot clear snow with a big wiper in that configuration.
Has no-one ever cleaned off 4-6 inches of ice and snow from their vehicle?
Using an ice scraper how are you supposed to pull snow over that wiper and off the driver side?
Is there a special ice scraper that will push it all the way across the windshield to the passenger side?
How do I lift this wiper off the glass so that while my truck is parked in a snowstorm while I'm at work, I do not freeze the wiper to the windshield?
Is there a special heater to keep the windshield clear?
How much power would need to be consumed to preheat and clear the windshield if there is said heater?
If the snow is lite and the wiper sweeps it down then there will be a pile up at the bottom that will then be blown up the screen wouldnt starting from the bottom and wiping up be better?

If the Cybertruck design team is going to design only for areas that do not get appreciable amounts of snow then they are going to loose a significant amount of sales. As an Engineer I'm very concerned about the lack of foresight in this required feature and wondering what else is being designed with tunnel vision.

Mr. Musk you should send your designers on a trip and find out how the people you want to buy your product will actually need to use it.

Reactions: TessP100D
If the wiper is stored Vertical as in the pic this is going to be a HUGE issue for 60% of the country. I have posted about this multiple times but you cannot clear snow with a big wiper in that configuration.
Using an ice scraper how are you supposed to pull snow over that wiper and off the driver side?
Is there a special ice scraper that will push it all the way across the windshield to the passenger side?
How do I lift this wiper off the glass so that while my truck is parked in a snowstorm while I'm at work, I do not freeze the wiper to the windshield?
How much power would need to be consumed to preheat and clear the windshield if there is said heater?
If the snow is lite and the wiper sweeps it down then there will be a pile up at the bottom that will then be blown up the screen wouldnt starting from the bottom and wiping up be better?

If the Cybertruck design team is going to design only for areas that do not get appreciable amounts of snow then they are going to loose a significant amount of sales. As an Engineer I'm very concerned about the lack of foresight in this required feature and wondering what else is being designed with tunnel vision.

Mr. Musk you should send your designers on a trip and find out how the people you want to buy your product will actually need to use it.
Doesn't moving the arm to the off-glass service position solve most of the issues you are raising?

• Funny
Reactions: israndy

There are issues with a vertical wiper, but maybe not as much as you are worried about.

As long as Tesla incorporates the heated wiper park as they do with their other vehicles already most issues go away. This will allow snow/ice to melt down the vehicle away from the wiper. Unlike horizontal wipers that tend to get a build up of snow around them.

The slope of the windshield and hood would make it super easy to brush snow down the vehicle. In fact, putting a horizontal wiper would block this motion. You are used to brushing snow off the side of your current windshield because brushing it down would put it right on the wipers.

Vertical is better for aerodynamics.

Also as an engineer, I approve the vertical wiper blade. And I live in the upper Midwest where we haven’t seen temps above 40F for 118 consecutive days now and counting.

I wonder how much of the front passenger's winshield vue will be cleaned with this single arm windshield wiper?

Why not having a windshild wiper on each side?

cybertruck-windshield-wiper-jpg.907980
It looks to me like it is telescopic in that as it rotates from it's vertical position to horizontal. It looks as if it could extend to get the upper passenger corner and then retract as it continues its arc downward so as not to hit the passenger side pillar until it is at complete horizontal position before reversing it's movement. Might look like a jerky movement, but would certainly clear way more glass area than any other type of wiper!

There are issues with a vertical wiper, but maybe not as much as you are worried about.

As long as Tesla incorporates the heated wiper park as they do with their other vehicles already most issues go away. This will allow snow/ice to melt down the vehicle away from the wiper. Unlike horizontal wipers that tend to get a build up of snow around them.

The slope of the windshield and hood would make it super easy to brush snow down the vehicle. In fact, putting a horizontal wiper would block this motion. You are used to brushing snow off the side of your current windshield because brushing it down would put it right on the wipers.

Also as an engineer, I approve the vertical wiper blade. And I live in the upper Midwest where we haven’t seen temps above 40F for 118 consecutive days now and counting.
Heated wiper park is going to eat energy. Too bad we can't plug in to every parking spot. How much range do you loose per hour when it is below 32 degrees and this is running? Um where does the water go?

That slope and going from glass to stainless steel is going to make it a mess. Ice and the water melting off the window flowing down over the non heated stainless will freeze solid so you will get a significant buildup of Ice. Driving along and it will get worse. Ever seen a house with ice dams, seen how much damage that causes.. Imagine the chunks of ice forming and coming off at 45 miles per hour. The trick is get water away from cold surfaces, not push it to the cold windblown surface.

Don't get me wrong I want this to work but there are a bunch of ...as the song goes "things that make ya go hmmmm"

Doesn't moving the arm to the off-glass service position solve most of the issues you are raising?
How? is it out of the way for clearing snow? when I turn it on at 30 degrees out and push snow down to the cold stainless steel what happens to the slush that hits the stainless?

how many pounds of force can the blade handle and what torque will it stall out at when pushing inches of snow off?

How? is it out of the way for clearing snow? when I turn it on at 30 degrees out and push snow down to the cold stainless steel what happens to the slush that hits the stainless?

how many pounds of force can the blade handle and what torque will it stall out at when pushing inches of snow off?
If blade pivots away from glass (like when changing a blade) then there is no issue with access for scraping.

Love when people who are NOT connected to a project FREAK OUT and assume that the people actually working on it won't think the project thru.

Where do they get the energy?
If I'm going to spend my money to purchase something then I am certainly going to look at all the options, list out the plus and minus and figure out if it works for me. The larger the spend then the more I'm going to look at it. I was under the impression that this is where we come to discuss things, i was not aware that only your opinion counts here.

I love how people from one area of the country seem to think they know everything and want to tell the rest of the world what is important or what everyone else needs. The truth is their only experience seems to be their intimate knowledge of their colon.

With all of the winter related problems and negative publicity Tesla experienced with the S, the X, the 3 and the Y, I find it hard to believe they are completely tone deaf when it comes to cold weather issues. This wiper (and other features) may turn out to be problematic in snow country but I doubt it would come from a lack of awareness.

And you can stand in the door jamb and chisel downward ? I would think heat would solve the issue

Get a broom or squeegee. Pull or push the snow off windshield towards the ground, across the hood. Snow slides down hood onto the ground. Problem solved. There is no big hood to prevent the snow from sliding right off. Very likely just engaging the wipers will do this most of the time.

Realistically, the only people who have any clue whether this will be an issue are keeping their lips sealed.