Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 1 vs. Level 2 Charging Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I just purchased my brand new Model Y 2 weeks ago and I’m down to 500 miles of the 1,000 I was given for the referral bonus or whatever. I’m stuck between upgrading to a level 2 charging solution or staying at level 1. I drive about 30-40 miles per day and I usually charge about 30-40 miles per night when I get home and if I miss a day or two and get down to 100 miles or so I just fully charge on my two days off and then go from there. If I miss that charging cycle I just drive to my charging station (7.6 miles out) and fully charge up then head home and usually have about 270-290 miles of range. My deciding factor is this:

If I upgrade to a level 2 charging station at home will that lower or increase my bill, versus if I just stay on the basic level 1 charging, or will it have no adverse change to my bill?

Im a newbie so when it comes to electricity and all that good stuff I just don’t get it. Like say I need to charge 100 miles on my car. That would take 20 hours (5 miles per hour) on my level 1. But on level 2 it might do it in half the time or maybe even faster then that. But does it cost the same thing to do both since it is giving me 100 miles either way. Or since the level 2 charging is faster and does it in half the time, does that make it cheaper? Trying to see if I am paying to just charge faster or if I am actually paying for efficiency in the long run since I will be charging 100% at home over the next 7-10 years.

To add to the equation, don’t know if this helps or I tried to switch to TOU and potentially go solar. However, my electric company PG&E said to stay on my current plan because I pay 0.17 cents for my baseline tier, 0.22 cents for tier 2, and 0.265 cents for high use regardless of how much I use or the time of day I charge. They did say going solar would be up to me on whether or not I can negotiate a cheap rate with the solar company. But that’s a different conversation for a different day. I just wanted to add how much I was paying just in case that changes things!

Weather: In the summer it gets about 90-108 degrees, and normally 80-95 on regular days so that may also be a factor as I lose range due to the heat as well.

If there is anything else that would help let me know. I want to be as transparent as possible, to ensure I get the answer I am looking for! Thanks as always and look forward to your responses!

Attachments

• 7CB6FC60-0C0F-4614-96A3-2EEA4AFBCEF0.jpeg
    7CB6FC60-0C0F-4614-96A3-2EEA4AFBCEF0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 129
  • 5891FB2F-0C2A-4244-8BEF-78203F4E9C43.jpeg
    5891FB2F-0C2A-4244-8BEF-78203F4E9C43.jpeg
    837 KB · Views: 129
Definitely a Bruin (class of 73 as if it wasn't obvious). I used the 250w chargers at Del Amo a lot when I had free supercharger miles. It is probably the southern most charger in the area. I have also used the one off of Pier Ave in Hermosa. It's actually on Ardmore. There is another on Marine but it was the older 150w chargers the only time I went there.

I don't know of any cool Tesla things in the South Bay. I have been hunting for free Level 2 chargers but I haven't found any yet. My daughter lives in San Pedro and there is a free level 2 charger on the public street her apartment is on. Just need the J1772 adaptor. I have found a lot of non-Tesla chargers that are no longer in service (e.g. at Costco).
There are a few “Volta “ chargers (free L2) at the rolling hills plaza mall, and also at del amo mall. But they are usually occupied. I got to use em a couple times and got 6-7 kw. The Volta app can tell you where they are and if they are in use at the moment.

I tried the chargers at the Costco off Lomita, they are semaconnect brand but apparently they don’t work through the app! They make you call in, type up your credit card number etc. I gave up and left.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Upvote 0
I tried the chargers at the Costco off Lomita, they are semaconnect brand but apparently they don’t work through the app! They make you call in, type up your credit card number etc. I gave up and left.
I use the SemaConnect charging network for public Level 2 charging. SemaConnect has relative large number of charging locations here in Maryland. If you set up a SemaConnect account online you can request a SemaConnect smart card.

Buy EV charging Stations Online | Electric Car Charging Stations Cost

You would tap the SemaConnect smart card to the charging station to initiate a charging session. This works better than the phone app when parked in an underground garage where cell service signal may not be available. The price you pay for each kWh when charging using the SemConnect network varies by location. Some, at $0.20 per kWh, are only slightly more than I pay at home. Other locations charge more to use the SemaConnect charging system. The price is determined by whomever installed the charging station, i.e. Costco, landlord, local government etc. Currently I charge at a SemaConnect charging station that is free to use for up to 2 hours when you park your vehicle at the shopping/dining/business center.

Upvote 0
I use the SemaConnect charging network for public Level 2 charging. SemaConnect has relative large number of charging locations here in Maryland. If you set up a SemaConnect account online you can request a SemaConnect smart card.

Buy EV charging Stations Online | Electric Car Charging Stations Cost

You would tap the SemaConnect smart card to the charging station to initiate a charging session. This works better than the phone app when parked in an underground garage where cell service signal may not be available. The price you pay for each kWh when charging using the SemConnect network varies by location. Some, at $0.20 per kWh, are only slightly more than I pay at home. Other locations charge more to use the SemaConnect charging system. The price is determined by whomever installed the charging station, i.e. Costco, landlord, local government etc. Currently I charge at a SemaConnect charging station that is free to use for up to 2 hours when you park your vehicle at the shopping/dining/business center.
Thanks for the smartcard tip. $0.20 per kwh isnt bad at all.. I believe Pepco charges us about 15cents per when you add all the fees (service, delivery, taxes, etc).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the smartcard tip. $0.20 per kwh isnt bad at all.. I believe Pepco charges us about 15cents per when you add all the fees (service, delivery, taxes, etc).
The last time I added up all of my Pepco costs it worked out to $0.157 per kWh. So $0.20 per kWh is not bad. Some SemaConnect charging locations charge by the hour, can be more expensive.

Upvote 0
The last time I added up all of my Pepco costs it worked out to $0.157 per kWh. So $0.20 per kWh is not bad. Some SemaConnect charging locations charge by the hour, can be more expensive.
Have you considered switching over to their TOU plan. I certainly want too, but it doesnt make sense right now as the wife & I are still working from home. Which means a good chunk of our power use is from 8am to 8pm.. when rates would be the absolute highest. Even more so, with this current heat wave.

I guess we really need to look at going with solar. But I have no idea where to start with that stuff.

Upvote 0
Have you considered switching over to their TOU plan. I certainly want too, but it doesnt make sense right now as the wife & I are still working from home. Which means a good chunk of our power use is from 8am to 8pm.. when rates would be the absolute highest. Even more so, with this current heat wave.

I guess we really need to look at going with solar. But I have no idea where to start with that stuff.
PEPCO sent me some information on their TOU plan. It did not offer me much in the way of savings, PEPCO's letter even said so. PEPCO's peak rate periods in summer are 6-9AM and 4-9 PM. In winter the peak period is 6-9AM. I am home most of the time, 4 - 9 PM is when my AC works the hardest to keep my house comfortable. I do have my Model Y set to use Scheduled Departure-Charging so charging will finish by 0600.

Upvote 0
We have a nice one here at Duke Farms. 6.6 @ .50 / hr for the first 4 hours. Cheaper than what I pay at home. I think they are solar powered. I go there and ride my bike for an hour or so while charging and get a bit more charge while sitting outside their cafeteria slurping up a blueberry smoothie.

Re charging temps. On the way home this morning I put my hand on the roof (from the inside while driving). Almost too hot to keep it there. After I got home, I put a digital kitchen thermometer on top of the roof (in the garage) and it claimed 107.

Upvote 0