Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level of charge on pick-up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 30% charge on collection at Bluewater. There is a Supercharger there.

Believe they aim to give you enough charge for the journey home, which it was.

I don't think that is the case as they haven't got the ability to charge hundreds of cars (e.g. Bluewater collections) without a lot of labour shuffling them. My understanding is that they come off the boat and the quayside is covered in destination chargers, and they get some top up there. No idea if that is capped (i..e why I got 30%), or if they get as much as however long they sit there before being put on transporter.

On more rural pickups :) might well be, with fewer numbers, the staff there put them on charge.

Used to be that the journey home (first 24 hours maybe?) had free supercharger use.

is the slot set in stone or could you get there 30 mins early

No specific knowledge, but I think the arrival time is just to get a steady flow of pickups.

Reactions: Y the wait
By the way, if you want to plan ahead you could ask on chat what the current SoC is on your car. Just explain you'd like to know so you can be prepared if you need to charge on collection day. Wait until a day or so before you go get though, obviously. They can definitely see the SoC, I asked when someone called me a couple of days before collection.

By the way, if you want to plan ahead you could ask on chat what the current SoC is on your car. Just explain you'd like to know so you can be prepared if you need to charge on collection day. Wait until a day or so before you go get though, obviously. They can definitely see the SoC, I asked when someone called me a couple of days before collection.
Good tip, what did they call you for?

I would just assume that you need to charge within a day or so and will have to pay for it. And if you have a longer journey home, assume that you will need to charge before you can complete the journey. Anything else is a bonus. Make sure that your charge company of choice has your details and any payment method you might want to use is value and you know where they are. Then do the same for an alternative charge company... (Unless its Tesla, but even then, still worth having a plan B, C etc)

My top tip. Don't assume that you can charge when you get home. Thankfully we chose to experience a Supercharger on our (detour) way home, as when we got home and plugged in, it blew the main house RCD. It took quite a while to fully identify the cause and come up with a fix. Had we been banking on topping back up at home, we would have been a bit tight... we would have been below 10% and charge points not as widely available as they are now. But the tip still applies especially those a bit more off the beaten track.

And going forward, always have a plan B.

Good tip, what did they call you for?

Some kind of pre-delivery customer service process I think. Telling me to watch the videos on the Tesla site, making sure I knew when/where my appointment was etc.

Does the car activate in the APP in advance of collection?

No, the app activates after you've signed for the car. Or at least it's supposed to. For most people I think it's pretty much straight away as you've signed on the tablet at pickup but I was the first of the day & they had some system issues. I had to wait for an email to do an e-signature, then wait about 5 or 6 hours for the system to catch up. I was still able to charge on the Supercharger straight away though.

Reactions: WannabeOwner