Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level two charger power consumption while maintaining desired level of charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to explain to the strata council in my townhouse complex that my ChargePoint level two charger requires a minimal amount of electricity to maintain the desired level of charge on my M3 once it is achieved. How do I best make my case?

You could come up with relatively good data / facts on the car's consumption while idle. My rough numbers are 200-250w when the car is awake and 20-25w when it's sleeping. Even if you assume it sleeps all the time, it would consume ~500-600Wh in a day. If it was awake it would be ~4.8-6kWh. Let's say it sleeps normally but wakes once a day to charge the 12V, like most do, you would be looking at close to 1kWh per day.
On an SR+ that's 1.6-1.8% of the battery (55-60kWh total). The car will probably start charging to catch up that charge.

I am not sure how much it consumes / minimal amount of electricity is the right question. When parked your car will run off the 12V battery until the car determines it needs to be charged, at which point it charges off the main battery. When the main battery gets a couple of percent points below the set level the charger kicks in, it will pull the rated about of power from the ChargePoint charger, say perhaps 6 kW (or whatever it is set to), so this needs to be “available” at all times. When the car is not actively charging the draw of the ChargePoint will be minimal.

Ah, yes, if that's the question, then the car either isn't charging at all, or it's charging at full power (e.g. 6kW) indeed. I was just explaining how much energy the car consumes, which explains that eventually it will need charging. Murray, if you were assuming your car would pull 250w from the charger, that is NOT the case.

Reactions: Rocky_H
My thanks to GtiMart, ATPMSD, and LoudMusic for your input.

Just to review - my audience: the strata council in my townhome complex; they have very limited knowledge and/or exposure to EVs their concern: the council is worried that EV chargers will somehow overload the strata lot's electrical supply my objective: to get them to review a new bylaw that limits charging times to 8:00 am to 7:00 am my message: I have no problem with waiting until 8:00 to begin charging, but once a level 2 charger has brought the battery up to the pre-set level, the electricity consumed and the load on the circuit are minimal other details: my ChargePoint level 2 charger is located in my own garage and operates from its own dedicated circuit, and at this time there are only three or four level two chargers in the entire complex

My explanation to the strata must use very simple language. Also, though I have owned two EVs over the past five years, my own knowledge of the issue is very limited as well, as you can no doubt tell. I thank you in advance for your patience as you attempt to assist me. I'm sure there are many EV owners out there who in the same boat and would appreciate the help.

Cheers
Murray C.

A proper electrician must be involved to make sure of exactly that, that there will be no overload. They will only connect loads that are safely supported by the main panel, along with properly sized breakers and wires. Chargers can be configured for a certain maximum current, the car cannot go over what the charger advertises. Some chargers can "share" current so they use a common limit. That's what someone should really be looking at.

Restricting charging to off-peak (I assume you meant 8 PM to 7 AM) is a good start. I agree with @GtiMart that an electrician should be involved. When the complex was built a load plan was created in order to determine how much power the complex needed. You should hire an electrician to update the plan, this time with the idea of supporting EV charging. You should then be able to determine how much excess load is available for charging, or at least how much would be available during off-peak times. Based on the results you can create an EV plan that includes things like when to charge, and which EV chargers will be acceptable e.g. ones that support load sharing, if that is needed.

The plan can then be in simple terms with the electrician “certifying” it will not adversely impact the complex.

Thank you both.

Yes, I do mean 8:00 pm to 7;00 am - whoops!

Each unit has its own dedicated circuitry. The charger was installed by a certified electrician when I moved here and approved by the strata at that time - this new bylaw for the complex has just been introduced. The charger is inside my garage, has its own dedicated circuit, and it is not shared. Do I understand you to say that because it has its own 240 circuit to support a level two charger, it will not impact the other townhomes or the complex as a whole? The complex of 75 townhomes is older - built in the late eighties.

What I'm hoping to have the strata council understand is that once the battery has been charged, the standby consumption will not impact the neighbours in terms of having to worry that it will cause a dangerous or costly overload elsewhere in the complex. Does this make sense?

When the car is not charging there is no load, period - end of story. In any case, if you overload your circuit your main breaker will trip. If a bunch of people charge their EVs at the same time and everyone runs close to the limit worst case is that the complex main breaker trips. So this is really much ado about nothing.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H