Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leviton introduces new 14-50 receptacle for EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they have noticed that their 279-S00 receptacle shows up often in "melted receptacle" posts in various forums and social media?

But since it costs a lot more than the 279-S00, will most people still grab the 279-S00 at the store?

Perhaps they have noticed that their 279-S00 receptacle shows up often in "melted receptacle" posts in various forums and social media?

But since it costs a lot more than the 279-S00, will most people still grab the 279-S00 at the store?

And, of course, the non-weather-resistant version is the only one available on their website.

Because Leviton, that's why.

Methinks I'll stick with Bryant/Hubbell. Cheaper, too.

Seems like it would have been better to replace the 279-S00 with a new low cost model with full size brass contacts like just about every other low (and high) cost model of receptacle, from the point of view of reducing future "melted receptacle" problems.

Without a price advantage over the Bryant receptacle, it seems hard to believe that many will choose the premium Leviton receptacle over the Bryant receptacle.

Without a price advantage over the Bryant receptacle, it seems hard to believe that many will choose the premium Leviton receptacle over the Bryant receptacle.

They’ll advertise the Leviton as an “EV Receptacle” at the big box stores and sell piles of ‘em.

The Bryant/Hunbeell is the better choice and likely what most electricians will use …. Just resell them at Leviton prices. :)

To be fair though, the melted plugs are mostly not because they are designed poorly or can't withstand the load. The issue is almost always a poor connection. Either directly the prongs (corroded), or more often the wires are not attached tight enough or became lose. This creates an electric resistance which causes a lot of heat build up. The metal parts and copper wires can handle the heat, but not the plastic parts. They start to melt.

I have done a lot of high power wiring and I always make sure all connections are tight. Then I run a load test and check everything for temperature. I had a few cases where it looked like a good connection but it wasn't. At a friend's place I used a standard 120 outlet to charge. I check the temperature and noticed the outlet got warm. I opened it and tightened all screws holding wires. From thereon the outlet stayed cool.

Would folks please point me to the preferred Bryant / Hubbell 14-50 receptacle? Pretty sure we have a Leviton in our 14-50 outlet, would like to use a better quality unit that won't overheat at some point. Already had all the connections checked by an electrician so they should be nice and tight, but still gets warmer than I would like. Thanks!

the melted plugs are mostly not because they are designed poorly or can't withstand the load. The issue is almost always a poor connection. Either directly the prongs (corroded), or more often the wires are not attached tight enough or became lose.

The Leviton 279-S00 has half size contacts to the plug blades, and they look like they are made of steel rather than brass. Other 14-50 receptacles have larger brass contacts.

Regardless of how careful one is with installation, this is a weakness of the Leviton 279-S00, and many instances of melted receptacles show melting at the front of a Leviton 279-S00 (not the back where poor installation can cause overheating there).

Reactions: thefrog1394
Would folks please point me to the preferred Bryant / Hubbell 14-50 receptacle?

Bryant 9450FR or Hubbell 9450A are the ones with the improved wire clamping method compared to most other 14-50 receptacles, as well as full size brass contacts. The new Leviton "EV" receptacle also claims to have an improved wire clamping mechanism.

Most other 14-50 receptacles other than the Leviton 279-S00 have full size brass contacts, but screw down wire clamping that is ok if installed carefully, but easier to make installation mistakes than the improved wire clamping.

Basically, anything with full size brass contacts will be an improvement over the Leviton 279-S00, but those with screw down wire clamps need more care in installation.

• Informative
Reactions: Dracaris

Don’t do Leviton, it’s consumer grade

Stick with Hubble, commercial grade
Make sure it’s also GFCI

• Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts
Don't they all (including the Leviton 279-S00) say "industrial grade" or some such?
Except for light switches, I never see Leviton used by electricians in commercial applications.
Leviton might be attempting to enter that space due to the popularity of EVs but I am skeptical

We will see

Hubble has a long history of solid manuf

I thought I read in a separate thread that Teslas had an internal GFCI and that installing a GFCI breaker could cause intermittent ‘charging stopped for unknown reason errors?”
I think it's a myth. The only GFCI problems we see here with any regularity are on 120v outlets with GFCI plugs. Even in those cases, the problem is more likely to be a GFCI that is either worn out, or is too sensitive and trips when the mobile connector does it's ground test.

I can't think of a single thread where a 240v GFCI breaker was pinned down as causing the error you describe. If it were a common problem, we'd be hearing about it all the time, as the GFCI breaker is a code requirement, so people are obviously doing it regularly.

Reactions: evrepair
I thought I read in a separate thread that Teslas had an internal GFCI and that installing a GFCI breaker could cause intermittent ‘charging stopped for unknown reason errors?”
Those complaints does not apply to the UMC. The amount of errors reported on using GFCIs is close to zero. It is designed to work with them, given GFCI has been required by code for receptacles for plug-in EVSEs for many years already (not to mention they are commonly installed on 120V outlets in garages even before that). You only get away with not doing GFCI if you do hardwire, like for the Wall Connector.

In the EV world, 7 years ago is now referred to as "very recent". It was NEC 2017 that introduced this requirement. But yes, it usually took a few years after for states to adopt it.

According to https://www.iaei.org/page/nec-code-adoption , DC, IN, MI, and UT are still on NEC older than 2017 for residential installation, and several other states have local differences in which NEC revision to use. So it can be a while before a revision gets adopted in all states (IN is still on the 2008 revision).

Except for light switches, I never see Leviton used by electricians in commercial applications.
Leviton might be attempting to enter that space due to the popularity of EVs but I am skeptical

We will see

Hubble has a long history of solid manuf
Leviton is probably the most popular 14-50 installed for EVSE in the residential setting though. So they are no stranger to the market, just that the one they made was well subpar for the application (the half sized contacts mentioned above).

My Leviton 1450R was installed on Friday. My tesla Mobile Connector pulls it's full 32AMPs with no heat at the connector and some warmth on the EVSE cord.

This is a Hubbell HBL9450A competitive part that is far superior to the HomeDepot Midwest Electric U054 NEMA 14-50 receptacle my electrician would have installed had I not provided a quality NEMA 14-50R.

I ordered direct from Leviton $68 shipped. The Leviton 1450R construction has the same compression type connectors as the Hubbell/Byant industrial receptacles and uses the 2.465" cover plate hole diameter. Typical intermittent use RV receptacles are about 2 1/8 inch diameter which is about 3/8" smaller than these "industrial" receptacles.

As others have stated
  • buying the Bryant 9450A from a reputable source is a way to save about 40% vs. Hubbell
  • the weather resistant Leviton 1450W is not available on the Leviton online store
  • the Leviton "279" is a much lower quality 14-50 receptacle than this "1450R", similar to Hubbell "TradeSelect" vs. "Industrial Grade"
My 2nd outdoor install this summer might use a weather resistant Leviton, or Bryant, or Hubbell.
I plan to re-torque my 6AWG connections.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
My Leviton 1450R was installed on Friday. My tesla Mobile Connector pulls it's full 32AMPs with no heat at the connector and some warmth on the EVSE cord.

This is a Hubbell HBL9450A competitive part that is far superior to the HomeDepot Midwest Electric U054 NEMA 14-50 receptacle my electrician would have installed had I not provided a quality NEMA 14-50R.

I ordered direct from Leviton $68 shipped. The Leviton 1450R construction has the same compression type connectors as the Hubbell/Byant industrial receptacles and uses the 2.465" cover plate hole diameter. Typical intermittent use RV receptacles are about 2 1/8 inch diameter which is about 3/8" smaller than these "industrial" receptacles.

As others have stated
  • buying the Bryant 9450A from a reputable source is a way to save about 40% vs. Hubbell
  • the weather resistant Leviton 1450W is not available on the Leviton online store
  • the Leviton "279" is a much lower quality 14-50 receptacle than this "1450R", similar to Hubbell "TradeSelect" vs. "Industrial Grade"
My 2nd outdoor install this summer might use a weather resistant Leviton, or Bryant, or Hubbell.
I plan to re-torque my 6AWG connections.
Good review
Leviton has responded and fixed their products