Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LHS wing mirror sticks folded every so often

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

My 2019 M3’s LHS wing mirror sticks in every so often in the morning. A fold/unfold fixes it. 1-2 times a month right now.

Any idea if it’s a Ranger job or just something that happens? Frequency/fix means I’m not too bothered - but wonder if it’s the start of a component failure curve - Thanks .

Thanks both - I’ve booked a Ranger visit for Monday (they’ll do the seat belt and trunk harness recalls too). Good to get sorted prior to the warranty going as you say pdk42. Will ask them what the issue/fix is + report back

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
The fix for the mirror isn't what the Ranger will do, the ranger is most likely to replace the mirror body completely as its the quickest way to do the job and 100% sure the problem has gone. The real fix will be a strip of the mirror body to get to the rotating mechanism, usually a sticking mirror is just accumulation of swarf - a mix of grease and dirt - which makes it harder to rotate. The little motor that runs would also be stripped and cleaned and most likely need a pair of brushes for it. (The brushes are just a spring metal with a coating of carbon on the surface to conduct the electricity to the commutator) Worn brushes fail to be able to conduct the full amount of electricity and results in a reduction of torque.
If its out of warranty its a cheap fix - a replacement mirror body will require the sale of a body part.

Forget to update - apologies.

Ranger attended and did a couple of recall procedures. On the wing mirror he said that a Tesla Ranger would need to see it malfunction to replace it. There was some vague comments about keeping an eye on it.

Was a bit of a waste of time (the car was fine ref recalls).

Wing mirror has heeded warning and behaved since.