Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's what i figured; just wanted to make sure. thanks!
There are two small plastic washers between the screw heads and lens. Make sure you don't lose them, as they are there to prevent water intrusion behind the lens. It's an easy job, and you will be glad you did it. They look great and the Abstract Ocean bulbs work flawlessly. I have had mine installed for months now and no problems. A second thank you to Pete!

is there an install guide somewhere in this thread? i prefer not to look through 24 pages...

Sorry for the delay: install guide for the AO Bulbs is here: LED Bulb (licence plate) Installation Guide

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I think I will.
Just a technical question, do they have resistors in them? Not a big deal for me but I hope they don't, because they are nor required in Tesla, and they consume a tiny bit of energy :).

Correct. There's a diode, but no resistor.

I just received Abstract Ocean LEDs in the mail and couldn't wait to install them. So simple, that you don't even have to remove the screws completely. Anyways, back to the bulbs. Here are some pics:

1. A comparison between VLEDS (right) and the new Abstract Ocean LEDs (left).
IMG_20150505_160346.jpg

2. Comparison between the bulbs. Many small LEDs vs 2 big LEDs.
IMG_20150505_160607.jpg

(thanks for the mystery item :wink:)

3. VLEDS' bulb (the burnt bulb) showing some rust in the place of the LEDs that fell! Not sure how that happened...
IMG_20150505_161033.jpg

4. Final result; sorry for not waiting until night time, but I think some other members have already uploaded a few.
IMG_20150505_160744.jpg

(I just realized how great are the photos taken by Nexus 6)

I just received Abstract Ocean LEDs in the mail and couldn't wait to install them. So simple, that you don't even have to remove the screws completely. Anyways, back to the bulbs. Here are some pics:

1. A comparison between VLEDS (right) and the new Abstract Ocean LEDs (left).

(I just realized how great are the photos taken by Nexus 6)

Awesome, and great photos!

Bumping this thread to address a change in more recent models (2018 S).

On older models, this was super easy since you only had to unscrew the bulb holder. On my (2018 S), no screws on those. I am not sure I can pop them out with a flat screwdriver so I prefer to ask. Anyone had to do this on this models already on LED but with updated bulb holder ?

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    578.6 KB · Views: 29
Bumping this thread to address a change in more recent models (2018 S).

On older models, this was super easy since you only had to unscrew the bulb holder. On my (2018 S), no screws on those. I am not sure I can pop them out with a flat screwdriver so I prefer to ask. Anyone had to do this on this models already on LED but with updated bulb holder ?
any luck with that? the design is very different from the classic design. i found that this part shares a MB part number 103434100A i believe. i see some options for a full swap out on ebay etc.

any luck with that? the design is very different from the classic design. i found that this part shares a MB part number 103434100A i believe. i see some options for a full swap out on ebay etc.
I had this replaced under warranty. This is not a super easy job, some disassembling is needed including the chrome going from one light to the other (very carefully as it can break and the ranger mentioned this is a 300€ piece !). You have to access this from the inside of the trunk. Took the ranger 30 minutes as he new how to proceed. Poor design if you ask me !
He also did a poor job gluing back the chrome and I had to buy some double sided tape to properly hold the tip in place (not easy as it is curved, you will need strong adhesive). Quote was 150€ (but covered by warranty).

Reactions: elee888
I had this replaced under warranty. This is not a super easy job, some disassembling is needed including the chrome going from one light to the other (very carefully as it can break and the ranger mentioned this is a 300€ piece !). You have to access this from the inside of the trunk. Took the ranger 30 minutes as he new how to proceed. Poor design if you ask me !
He also did a poor job gluing back the chrome and I had to buy some double sided tape to properly hold the tip in place (not easy as it is curved, you will need strong adhesive). Quote was 150€ (but covered by warranty).
oh wow. thanks for sharing how complex the work was. happy to hear it was covered under warranty, sorry to hear about the sub par repair.

didn't find any pics of the Sylvania bulbs installed, here's mine. one of my AO bulbs died after about 14 months of light use (wfh, not alot of driving at night). while the Sylvania's are not as bright as the AO's I hope they last much longer.

pic with bulbs in hand, left is AO, right is Sylvania.

Attachments

• B16FD3BF-9812-49E7-AF7F-3EF0B6DB1402.JPG
    B16FD3BF-9812-49E7-AF7F-3EF0B6DB1402.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 7FA5005C-54F0-4FF3-BA9A-BB76210ACE4E.JPG
    7FA5005C-54F0-4FF3-BA9A-BB76210ACE4E.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5648.PNG
    IMG_5648.PNG
    381.9 KB · Views: 28