Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Licensing and Registration Problem in New Jersey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the car for almost a month, I picked it up with temporary license plate and registration ready to roll on the car. Fast forward to now, and my temporary plates/reg expire in 3 days (Sunday). The permanent plates and registration should get mailed to me, but I've yet to receive anything. I've been inquiring about this for the last week and a half so I don't end up with a car that I can't drive after having been driving it for a month. Tesla's New Jersey DMV and registration department has been emailed several times, but has not responded. I've also spoken with my DS who has been very helpful, but is not really responsible for taking care of this...is anyone else down to the wire with their temporary plates and registration? My DS said that Tesla is well aware that there is a problem with this due to the massive deliveries happening right now, but no one is giving me any insight into anything I can do or when I might expect to get my permanent paperwork/plates.

The solution to this is simple, take your purchase paperwork to the DMV and get another 30 day tag. You will have bought yourself another month for NJDMV to get their $#!% straight.

What about inspection sticker? Does that come with registration too or do we have to go get it inspected? ( which would be ridiculous considering the only thing inspected now in NJ is emissions LOL ) but I checked the NJ site and they don't list electric vehicles as being exempt....

@youlikeadajuice...Call ownership experience and they will overnight you a new plate with the same number and a new expiration date. They can also email a PDF copy so atleast you are legal if pulled over.

@yobigd20...I called Parsons when I received my car in January and they said the car is exempt in NJ. I called NJMVS (NJDMV) and they said there is no exempt sticker and no need for a sticker. The police have a list of exempt vehicles. It will be fun driving down the highway and getting pulled over for no front plate, tinting and no inspection sticker. I was thinking of just getting the 3M in 60 so there is less chance of getting noticed.

In MD I just took my paperwork to the MVA and waded thru the morons and bullshit until I got the correct office and person who registered my car and then insisted that I get new plates and an HOV sticker with enough convection to get it done. I followed recommendations from the forum and just did it in person forgetting about phone, email, voodoo or snail mail. If you are having problems ..... Polish up your sword and go do it.

Reactions: streetskooler
Thanks, I spoke with Tesla in Cali and they are overnighting me an extension for my temps...I just wish someone would have told me there was a problem so I wan't scrambling last minute!

@youlikeadajuice...Call ownership experience and they will overnight you a new plate with the same number and a new expiration date. They can also email a PDF copy so atleast you are legal if pulled over.

@yobigd20...I called Parsons when I received my car in January and they said the car is exempt in NJ. I called NJMVS (NJDMV) and they said there is no exempt sticker and no need for a sticker. The police have a list of exempt vehicles. It will be fun driving down the highway and getting pulled over for no front plate, tinting and no inspection sticker. I was thinking of just getting the 3M in 60 so there is less chance of getting noticed.

It will be fun driving down the highway and getting pulled over for no front plate, tinting and no inspection sticker. I was thinking of just getting the 3M in 60 so there is less chance of getting noticed.

Ditto! I also did not put the front plate mount on, have no spection sticker, and I have 3M Crystalline 40% all around. I think the Crystalline 40 is light enough that it's not going to cause too many issues with cops. You just don't want to be running around with like 15-20% of the dark charcoal-like tint. THAT caused me to get stopped a lot.

@yobigd20...I called Parsons when I received my car in January and they said the car is exempt in NJ. I called NJMVS (NJDMV) and they said there is no exempt sticker and no need for a sticker. The police have a list of exempt vehicles.

Just wanted to add that this is progress in NJ... when i got my Roadster a year+ ago I was required to have it inspected and get a sticker w/1-year term. A few weeks back I went for the new one and found out they were not giving stickers out to EVs :rolleyes: since there are no emissions. Took the old one off.

Good to hear the police have a list, but wondering how that will play in the field (e.g., 'honest mistake' not realizing the car is exempt as an excuse to stop... and giant "E" or "EV" or "ZEV" sticker from MVS would be much better).

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (NJMVC)
Vehicles Exempt From Inspection
NJ MVC | Vehicles Exempt From Inspection

The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):
100% Electric vehicles is listed.

Well, if we're going to resurrect a 6 year old thread, may as well contribute ...

When I picked up my Model 3, the delivery advisor emailed me a PDF copy of the above website with a suggestion to print it out and put in the glovebox. I did exactly that, just so if I were ever stopped by an under informed officer, I could show them the relevant statute listing the vehicle as exempt from inspection.

Couldn't hurt to have with me ... I figured, if the DA is suggesting it, this must've been an issue for someone else.