Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Life after 1 year with my Model S. Stuff you should know before you buy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sandollars

I bleed Cardinal
Feb 19, 2018
So Cal/So UT
Hi guys,

I have owned my Model S for a little over a year now and looking back over that year, I can honestly say that it is the greatest car I have ever owned.

There are, however, some things I wished Tesla would have told me when I bought it that would have made my first few months easier on me as well as the Service center.

Below, I have listed some of those things:

1. Your Tesla needs to get used to being a car and needs to acclimate itself. It will take 50 or so miles to calibrate before you can use Autopilot. While you are learning how to drive it, think of it as a SUPER SMART computer with wheels. It makes the process much more comprehensible. You don't have to take it in for service. This is normal.

2. When you can finally use Autopilot, it is going to do some stupid things as it continues to learn how to properly drive you around. Stay on your toes and learn how it behaves in various circumstances. You don't have to take it in for service. This is normal.

3. Autopilot is occasionally scared of shadows (NO JOKE) like ones that are cast by other cars on your lane in the early morning or late afternoon hours, or shadows under overpasses. As such, it may arbitrarily slam on its brakes making for some inexplicable and intense moments on you and possibly a gift of the finger from the driver of the car that was behind you as it recklessly speeds past you on the freeway thinking you did it on purpose to get him off your a$$. You don't have to take it in for service. This is normal.

4. Your Tesla will, for no particular reason occasionally reboot itself while underway, leaving you with absolutely no instrumentation. Fear not. The car will drive perfectly fine through the reboot and all will be well when you get your instruments back. It is not the end of the world and you don't have to take it in for service. This is normal.

5. It may take a while to fire up on occasion because it has fallen into a deep sleep. This is normal and you do not have to take it in for service. Be patient.

6. If things start to go hinky while driving it, perform a reboot. This can be done while stopped or underway. It makes no difference to the drivability of your Tesla. There are more computers (or "processors") running your car than you probably possess in the rest of your entire house and all of its contents. On last count, there were over 65.

7. When in doubt, reboot. It will save you countless trips to the Service center. Sometimes, that's all they are going to do but they won't tell you that because they want you to think they fixed the problem when in reality, you didn't even have a problem that the old "3 finger salute" (as it was called on PCs of yore) couln't fix.

8. Did I mention you may need to reboot your Tesla occasionally? :)

9. Everyone already knows it's one of the fastest cars from stop light to stop light known to man so try to control yourself and don't be a "Richard". :) . Only play with others if they want to play otherwise you may get a middle aged ZR1 Corvette owner with bleach blonde hair and a soul patch that the nineties is screaming at him to give it back, tell you "EFF you and your EFFING golf cart you MOTHER EFFER!!!" because he is butthurt that a guy with a brand new Model S family sedan just beat him off 2 seperate stop lights in a row...... Don't ask me how I know this.... :)

10. Sometimes your Tesla will act like it has a mind of its own. My advice? Give your car its head. It's probably right. :)

11. It will have more bugs to work out in the beginning than any other car you have owned but once they have been worked out, the car is dang near flawless.

12. IT WILL SPOIL YOU FROM EVER GOING BACK TO AN ICE CAR AGAIN.

If you consider any of the above items a dealbreaker, then a Tesla is not for you. If you think you can handle these things then run out and go buy one right now. You will not regret it.

I LOVE driving this car and look forward to driving it every day to, and from the office.

If cars and motorcycles could get jealous then my Tesla would have been murdered by my other cars by now that rarely see the light of day since my Model S came home with me.

Sure, I have had my share of problems (some of them chronicled in these very forums) but when the day is done, this is truly a fantastic car.

My name is Steve and I am a Tesla Fanboy...... Gotta go drive now.. :)

4. Your Tesla will, for no particular reason occasionally reboot itself while underway, leaving you with absolutely no instrumentation. Fear not. The car will drive perfectly fine through the reboot and all will be well when you get your instruments back. It is not the end of the world and you don't have to take it in for service. This is normal.

I've never had this happen to me, and I wouldn't consider this happening with an regularity as "normal"

I have an MCU 1 car ftr, but I wouldn't except random reboots every other month. I'd get that fixed. I'm curious to know if this is now truly considered common behavior.

I guess my sense of humor didn't transfer too well in the written words above.

Or

Maybe there are some here who might be lacking in that department? :)

The point is; don't freak out if you are a new Tesla owner. Have you read some of the things being asked in the Model 3 section (eyes rolling)?

Everything is going to be okay..... :)

Reactions: Unpilot
I guess my sense of humor didn't transfer too well in the written words above.

Or

Maybe there are some here who might be lacking in that department? :)

The point is; don't freak out if you are a new Tesla owner. Have you read some of the things being asked in the Model 3 section (eyes rolling)?

Everything is going to be okay..... :)
I've been reading TMC for many years now. My Model 3 rebooted during my drive home this evening. I didn't freak out thanks to all the great information here. It was a bit strange driving downhill without a speedometer.

Reactions: Sandollars
6. If things start to go hinky while driving it, perform a reboot. This can be done while stopped or underway. It makes no difference to the drivability of your Tesla

I stopped rebooting while driving when I did it once in my S and it didn’t all come back up. I had no regen, no traction control and a bunch of other scary warnings when you are traveling at 65mph. None of those messages was there until after I did the reboot. Had to pull over and service walked me through the power off procedure. Service said stop rebooting while driving, LOL. Now, I pull over if the car needs a reboot. Just in case.

I stopped rebooting while driving when I did it once in my S and it didn’t all come back up. I had no regen, no traction control and a bunch of other scary warnings when you are traveling at 65mph. None of those messages was there until after I did the reboot. Had to pull over and service walked me through the power off procedure. Service said stop rebooting while driving, LOL. Now, I pull over if the car needs a reboot. Just in case.

Now THIS would freak me out! LOL! :)

Reactions: cuspie

So I guess me running AutoPilot on a reboot wasn't a recommended thing....
Yes, AutoPilot works during a reboot of both Screens.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Aww, the crap we put up with to drive these amazing machines! LOL! :) . TRULY 3rd world problems.....
Yea, we only put up with them until other amazing machines are available which don't require putting up with such problems. Cost vs. benefits decisions. Today, Tesla is still the best available EV, a year or two from now, maybe even sooner, it will no longer be true.

PS> If you want to discuss world problems, this is not the right forum. People here have a roof over their heads, don't worry about where their food is coming from. All problems are relative - a guy sleeping under the bridge in New York has it pretty good compared to someone in Africa who is sick, starving, abused, hunted for body parts to be sold on black market and/or enslaved by some warlord to work in their drug fields or to mine minerals. As my grandpa used to say "things could always be worse, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't strive to make them better".