Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Life on a 110 Outlet. My thoughts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The long range electrics are just more power hungry hence the "slower"charging. Big battery means big weight, bigger tires to support and slow it etc.
Add a thousand pounds and tires to give good stopping traction to a Bolt and energy use isn't 238 wh/mile anymore.

I wonder if they may also take more "overhead" energy to pump coolant around since they are larger...

I think they have spent some effort fixing this with Model 3 though.

I get 4-5 miles per hour when charging on my 3 on a 5-15, which is more than adequate for my daily needs as I work from home. Head out for lunch, plug in when I get back and the car's full again* in 1-3 hours depending upon where lunch was. If I go out for the evening, the car's normally full again by the time I wake up the next morning.

Here's showing 4 mi/hr with the volts at 117. I didn't grab a screenshot for 5, will do so next time it occurs as I don't recall if it was at 120 or slightly above.
IMG_9867.PNG

On the off chance I need a faster charge I have a 14-30 extension cord for my unused 14-30 that's in the house (as I have a gas dryer). Works great, though I don't regularly use it as then the heat from the garage comes into the house (Houston's high today is 101F). If I do use it I wrap the inside garage door with a comforter and towels to help combat the heat intrusion. I've also used the 14-30 extension cord when visiting my brother in rural Wisconsin.
IMG_9868.PNG IMG_9873.jpg

Yes, I understand the 5-15 is not as efficient as a 240 circuit; however, it's still significantly more efficient than burning gas in the S2000 I sold off a couple weeks ago. It's also a short term solution, I plan to have some electrical work done on my house late fall and will have a 14-50 installed in the garage at the time. Reason for not doing that electrical work now is it'll require cutting power off to the house for the day, and as mentioned above it's quite hot right now.

* set for 80% charge

Last edited:
Reactions: eprosenx
I get 4-5 miles per hour when charging on my 3 on a 5-15, which is more than adequate for my daily needs as I work from home. Head out for lunch, plug in when I get back and the car's full again* in 1-3 hours depending upon where lunch was. If I go out for the evening, the car's normally full again by the time I wake up the next morning.

Here's showing 4 mi/hr with the volts at 117. I didn't grab a screenshot for 5, will do so next time it occurs as I don't recall if it was at 120 or slightly above.
View attachment 318365

On the off chance I need a faster charge I have a 14-30 extension cord for my unused 14-30 that's in the house (as I have a gas dryer). Works great, though I don't regularly use it as then the heat from the garage comes into the house (Houston's high today is 101F). If I do use it I wrap the inside garage door with a comforter and towels to help combat the heat intrusion. I've also used the 14-30 extension cord when visiting my brother in rural Wisconsin.
View attachment 318368 View attachment 318371

Yes, I understand the 5-15 is not as efficient as a 240 circuit; however, it's still significantly more efficient than burning gas in the S2000 I sold off a couple weeks ago. It's also a short term solution, I plan to have some electrical work done on my house late fall and will have a 14-50 installed in the garage at the time. Reason for not doing that electrical work now is it'll require cutting power off to the house for the day, and as mentioned above it's quite hot right now.

* set for 80% charge

Have you checked to see if the circuit you are using in the garage is actually 20a rated and not just 15a? With the right 5-20 UMC adapter from Tesla (and potentially a second adapter from Amazon or just swapping out a receptacle) you could charge 33% faster at 16a. There is another thread I created that discusses this 5-15 to 5-20 adapter.

I should also call out that a good electrician could probably prep everything and then only have your power off very briefly to do the install. :)

My HPWC died recently, just as a friend was taking delivery of a Model S. So I've had to wait over six weeks for a new (free) HPWC to arrive. I have a 30 mile commute plus errands in the evening, and I'll get 3-4 mph off the 110. My 90D now gives 251 miles at 90%.

This has been way easier than I expected.

I've had to go to a Level 2 charger maybe once a week. I've used the local supercharger twice for road trips. My new HPWC arrives tomorrow, but it's been less stressful than I expected.

My big concern is, that as more Teslas are on the road, more people are going to opt for 110 charging at home to avoid the cost of an electrician, putting a further strain on the Supercharger network.

Does anyone know if this is a trend for Model 3 buyers? I know apartment dwellers may be forced to using urban chargers. I wonder how many homeowners are doing the same thing. Any data?
Given the cost for new owners supercharging, I'm not that worried. It's the old owners like me with free supercharging that cause issues.

Have you checked to see if the circuit you are using in the garage is actually 20a rated and not just 15a? With the right 5-20 UMC adapter from Tesla (and potentially a second adapter from Amazon or just swapping out a receptacle) you could charge 33% faster at 16a. There is another thread I created that discusses this 5-15 to 5-20 adapter.
Actually it’s been calculated that charging at 16A is 42% faster than at 12A, because once you account for the overhead then all of the extra amps goes into the battery. This was for the Model S several years ago, the result for the Model 3 may be a little different but the principle is the same.

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
Have you checked to see if the circuit you are using in the garage is actually 20a rated and not just 15a?

If the 5-15 wasn't working for me I'd have done that already as the garage's 5-15 outlet is on a 20 breaker. Due to where the outlet is, I'd need a 5-20 extension cord as well as I don't like to back into the garage. It's not a dedicated outlet though which may be a factor. The garage outlet is the GFCI (with reset & test) that's connected to at least the outside outlets.

have your power off very briefly to do the install
I'm looking at a whole house surge protector, and upgrading the panel, hence the power being off for most of the day. Cost wise it's better for me to have it done all at once rather than installing the 14-50 now and the rest when its cooler out.

Last edited:
If the 5-15 wasn't working for me I'd have done that already as the garage's 5-15 outlet is on a 20 breaker. Due to where the outlet is, I'd need a 5-20 extension cord as well as I don't like to back into the garage. It's not a dedicated outlet though which may be a factor. The garage outlet is the GFCI (with reset & test) that's connected to at least the outside outlets.

I'm looking at a whole house surge protector, and upgrading the panel, hence the power being off for most of the day. Cost wise it's better for me to have it done all at once rather than installing the 14-50 now and the rest when its cooler out.

Ahhh yes, panel replacement is a whole different story...

That is a most of a day project. I myself did my sense at the same time as well as a generator transfer panel.