Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Alignment Cost for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after reading all of the above, I've spent most of the morning researching this and calling local Tire Kingdoms and Firestone stores in the Daytona Beach, FL, area. I've been a loyal Tire Kingdom customer for years (both for my personal vehicles, and a corporate account with over 25 vehicles on Tire Kingdom alignment policies) and know most of the managers and store operations in this area.

Here's the bottom line: Tesla's manufactured prior to 2020-2021...any shop can align provided they have the specs, tools, procedures, etc. Nothing special. Tire Kingdom, unfortunately, as a company, has not kept up with newer cars and while most should be able to do earlier model Tesla's, none can do the newer ones with ADAS. So, I then called local Firestones. There are 4 in our immediate area. Only the newest one, open only a couple of years, has the proper equipment and trained personnel to do a full alignment, including the ADAS system, which from a purely technical, engineering point of view, clearly should be done. (I'm a retired military test pilot...from a safety and operational point of view, you can be sure that I will be getting mine done properly and frankly, Firestone's is a bargain price for that piece of mind.)

So here is what I was quoted by Nick, in the Port Orange, FL, Firestone store: yes, they can do the full alignment, including, ADAS. Cost $146.99 + tax for a one year alignment; $324.99 + tax for a lifetime alignment, which means "...for as long as you own the car".

Hope this information helps somebody. I'm sharing it in good faith based on my research and calls made this morning.

I still think they're lying to you.

Did you ask them what "ADAS Configuration" consists of? Tesla defines ADAS as the whole autopilot system....not a reverse camera. Do you think Tesla would allow Firestone or Discount Tire or anyone but themselves to fiddle with autopilot?? No way, ever. That's why AutoPilot is designed to auto-adapt...it's not manually adjustable by a 3rd party shop. You can ONLY adjust it with Tesla Toolbox, and that is specifically not something that chain auto repair shops have.

So, it still sounds scammy. ADAS aligns itself over about 25 miles. So, unless they're charging you $150 to drive your car 25 miles (and I wouldn't want that, personally), something still doesn't add up. I'd ask them what they specifically do to adjust the ADAS. What software do they use? What's the process?

I stand by my statement - this is a SCAM. They are not adjusting anything with the ADAS system. There is no method for them to do so on ANY year/make/model Tesla.

So, Tire Kingdom is missing out on sales because there's nothing special to a Tesla alignment, and Firestone is scamming customers by lying about the scope of work.

Reactions: E-curb and Russell
Absolutely agree with @Aggmeister2010. Critical safety item to entrust to a generic shop.

And how does tweaking toe/camber by a couple physical millimeters require ADAS re-cal??
Think about full replacement of control arms, etc. Alignment obviously required, but has Tesla or anyone else ever added an ADAS calibration line item/charge? Don’t think so.

Still a good price for normal alignment and even lifetime, but I’d want to confirm that they won’t touch anything ADAS related.

Absolutely agree with @Aggmeister2010. Critical safety item to entrust to a generic shop.

And how does tweaking toe/camber by a couple physical millimeters require ADAS re-cal??
Think about full replacement of control arms, etc. Alignment obviously required, but has Tesla or anyone else ever added an ADAS calibration line item/charge? Don’t think so.

Still a good price for normal alignment and even lifetime, but I’d want to confirm that they won’t touch anything ADAS related.

And just to further this --- I have Lifetime Alignment on my P90D from Firestone, and I paid $199. No bogus fees. They've done alignments 3 times, and each time was that simple mechanical adjustment process, and the steering angle sensor adjusts itself over the next day.

Tire shops are scammers.

On one of my cars, a shop charged me for rubber valve stems(RVS) but I can tell they didn't replace it (stems were dirty) so I had to get my money back.
On another car, a shop put it on the quote and I immediately told him my car doesn't have RVS, I have alloy wheels. He then said I need a TPMS Rebuild kit. I asked to see the kit and it was just a grommet, retaining nut, core and cap.
My car was only a few years old and none of the wheels were leaking so I told him no.

I've had cars for 10-15yrs and none of them ever needed the valve stems replaced.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 10.45.08 PM.png

So after reading all of the above, I've spent most of the morning researching this and calling local Tire Kingdoms and Firestone stores in the Daytona Beach, FL, area. I've been a loyal Tire Kingdom customer for years (both for my personal vehicles, and a corporate account with over 25 vehicles on Tire Kingdom alignment policies) and know most of the managers and store operations in this area.

Here's the bottom line: Tesla's manufactured prior to 2020-2021...any shop can align provided they have the specs, tools, procedures, etc. Nothing special. Tire Kingdom, unfortunately, as a company, has not kept up with newer cars and while most should be able to do earlier model Tesla's, none can do the newer ones with ADAS. So, I then called local Firestones. There are 4 in our immediate area. Only the newest one, open only a couple of years, has the proper equipment and trained personnel to do a full alignment, including the ADAS system, which from a purely technical, engineering point of view, clearly should be done. (I'm a retired military test pilot...from a safety and operational point of view, you can be sure that I will be getting mine done properly and frankly, Firestone's is a bargain price for that piece of mind.)

So here is what I was quoted by Nick, in the Port Orange, FL, Firestone store: yes, they can do the full alignment, including, ADAS. Cost $146.99 + tax for a one year alignment; $324.99 + tax for a lifetime alignment, which means "...for as long as you own the car".

Hope this information helps somebody. I'm sharing it in good faith based on my research and calls made this morning.

How much for an alignment on the OPs car, 2015 70D? Should be $199 right?

I've had four Teslas, two with over 100,000 miles on them, the other two with about 25,000 miles each. Never had an alignment unless the tire shop did it for free after installing new tires and didn't tell me. They do balancing for free, but never had them mess with alignment.

If you try to dodge the potholes or learn where they are and drive around them maybe your alignment would last longer. Maybe for a lifetime!

I've had four Teslas, two with over 100,000 miles on them, the other two with about 25,000 miles each. Never had an alignment unless the tire shop did it for free after installing new tires and didn't tell me. They do balancing for free, but never had them mess with alignment.

If you try to dodge the potholes or learn where they are and drive around them maybe your alignment would last longer. Maybe for a lifetime!

There are documented cases where a vehicle from Tesla came new with a bad alignment that had to be fixed (mine being one). Any time a suspension component is replaced or the car is lowered, an alignment should be done. If your tires wear funny, alignment should be checked. And alignment should be adjusted as the car ages and suspension components wear. So, definitely plenty of reasons and opportunities to do it without hitting pot holes.