TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firestone Wheel Alignment?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brantse, Feb 1, 2016.

1. brantse

brantse Member

Reading that another owner (techmaven) mentioned that Firestone does a lifetime wheel alignment, I thought now is as good a time as ever to purchase this. I happen to have a Firestone close by, so ran over there to confirm that they could do an MS (the website included it in the vehicle selection menu). When I asked about the possibility to do alignments on a Tesla, I got a blank stare from the woman at the counter and a resounding "NO" from the two individuals in the back (shop supervisor and technician??). They said that I would have to go to a "dealer" to have that done, as it requires "special tools". I probed a bit to understand if there was really any merit into what they were telling me, but mainly to try to understand what reason they have to completely turn me away. They really had nothing else to share, just that they don't have the tools to do it.

I would say with confidence that I'm the first person to ever ask this particular shop if they can do a Tesla, so this wouldn't likely have been something that they checked on before. If there are physical reasons that their machine is not compatible with a MS, that's perfectly fine, I just didn't get that feeling or that they could really answer that without more information.

Have others had more luck at other Firestones or know if this is pretty common. FWIW, the Firestone shop is probably the only tire shop in my area that I would expect to have a modern/advanced enough alignment machine to do a MS.

2. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

The user islandbayy has a lifetime alignment with Firestone so I think they're full of it.

Any reason not to let Firestone mount my wheels?

3. green1

green1 Active Member

Many shops are afraid of "different", if they haven't worked on it before, they don't even want to try. doesn't matter how simple it is.

I used to drive a right hand drive vehicle, it was extremely easy to work on, but it was extremely difficult to find anyone willing to do so, even something as simple as buying new tires turned in to a huge hassle. I even had a windshield chip repair place refuse to fill a chip because they said they wouldn't be able to drive it in to their shop!

It's just human nature I guess, but it's quite frustrating when you run in to it.

4. Barry

Barry Member

If they haven't done it before, would YOU want them to do it?

5. green1

green1 Active Member

It's a car, there's nothing that special about it in the wheel alignment category. They already do this on hundreds, possibly thousands of other different make/model/year combinations. If you would trust them to work on other makes and models, why not this one?

6. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

That is a consideration but you should also consider that they Tesla does not have some oddball exotic suspension. It's a standard suspension and any competent shop should be able to put it on the machine, punch in the code for Tesla and adjust the alignment.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Local shop does mine no questions asked (Accept what direction it's pulling :p )
    It's possible they don't want the liability. I won't take mine to just any Firestone. I have had issues in the past with my ICE vehicles, but the particular shop by me does a great job for alignments. Would I trust them to Change my Model S's oil? Thats a Big Negative.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

The tesla is no different than any other car with respect to alignment. I have lifetime alignment with Firestone on all my cars.

Smells like fear to me.

9. reynirb

reynirb Member

Besides Firestone, anyone had any luck with other shops such as Goodyear etc.?

I have a pretty good Goodyear store which I had a lifetime alignment on my ICE, and they have done all other tire related work without issues.

I also have a small local mechanic which does a phenomenal job on my other cars. I guess as long as they were comfortable lifting it without damaging the undercarriage, the alignment should be easy for the most part.

Hopefully as more and more of those are on the road, more and more shops will get familiar with them and be competent to work on them. I can't imagine Tesla SC's keeping up if they start rolling out 500.000 M3's...