Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime whr average?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had all intentions to keep one of my trips for that purpose and never reset it. Unfortunately Tesla did reset it at a service visit trying to fix an unrelated issue. I was pretty upset. The battery itself keeps track of how much energy came in and how much went out over the lifetime of the car. So looking at the CAN bus you can read that number.

• Informative
Reactions: Patrick W and robby
I had all intentions to keep one of my trips for that purpose and never reset it. Unfortunately Tesla did reset it at a service visit trying to fix an unrelated issue. I was pretty upset. The battery itself keeps track of how much energy came in and how much went out over the lifetime of the car. So looking at the CAN bus you can read that number.

Same thing happened to me (service center resetting the trip meters). I asked the manager about it and was told that's standard practice but that he'd see about letting owners know before they do it.

293 Wh/mi since CPO delivery about 13 months ago.

About 21K put on during that time, was without the car for about 13 weeks in the body shop or it would be between 25K and 30K.

My trip odometers are named “Current Week” (A) and “Current Owner” (B).

Last week was the 4th anniversary of the activation of my home charging set-up at my condo, so I thought it would be interesting to see how much energy I had purchased from our local utility, Eversource. (I live in eastern Massachusetts.)

I charge the car (a 2015 70D) with a Tesla Wall Connector connected to a 240 Volts single-phase 50-amp circuit. The cable run from the meter to the Wall Connector is roughly 25 feet. I usually charge at 40 amps.

There is a separate service and electric meter for charging my car, so it is (almost) easy to see how much energy the car consumed. I say “almost” because there was a brief gap in my data for which I made an adjustment. Plus, I have a motion-activated security lamp on the same service. The lamp does not run for very long when it activates, so I decided to ignore the lamp’s energy use, as it would be very small compared to the car’s.

In those four years, the circuit consumed 17,827 kWh, while the car went 41,033 miles. So, based upon these raw numbers, we could say that the car charging (including charging losses plus precooling and preheating) consumed an average of 348.7 kWh/mile driven. That compares to the lifetime average consumption shown by the car in July 2019 as 326 Wh/mile. (I lost my historical data at that time because of a computer repair.)

Unfortunately, that is an incomplete picture, because it does not allow for charging elsewhere, such as use of Superchargers and destination chargers on trips. I do not have very good records of charging away from home. So, I made an estimate of the mileage driven away from home over those four years and decided to allow 1,000 miles per year as a rough but reasonable allowance. So that means the Eversource energy was used for about 37,033 miles. The average energy use then looks like 481 Wh/mile, a much higher figure, and a bit startling. I know that charging losses have been estimated at 10% or so, but this would be quite a bit higher.

Most likely, the largest source of extra consumption is preheating and precooling the car. I tend to use that function quite a lot, because my car is parked outside, winter and summer. The car does not consider the energy used for that in the displayed energy consumption, when the car is connected to shore power.

At an average price per kWh of about 23 cents, that translates to approximately 11 cents per mile for energy. That is not much if any savings compared to my previous car, which was a Mercedes that got about 20-23 mpg on premium fuel. Which I why I tell people around here that they should not buy a Tesla, or any other EV, with the goal of saving on energy.

My numbers do contain some assumptions, the most important of which is my allowance of 1000 miles per year for travel charged elsewhere. That may be conservative, and I hope it is, but it is not too far off. In any case, it is worthwhile to realize that charging losses may add to the energy consumption reported by the car. And in my case, preheating and precooling probably contribute substantially to the actual total energy used and the cost of it.

I keep logs for my car's lifetime.
At present I'm at 107.963 km (>67000Mi) and my DRIVING consumption is Kwh 20.981, with an average of 194,49 Wh/km (313 Wh/Mi).
According to TeslaFi, I have ADDED on average 12,7% more juice than I used for driving, so it gives a gross consumption of 219,2 Wh/km (352 Wh/Mi).

....In those four years, the circuit consumed 17,827 kWh, while the car went 41,033 miles. So, based upon these raw numbers, we could say that the car charging (including charging losses plus precooling and preheating) consumed an average of 348.7 kWh/mile driven. That compares to the lifetime average consumption shown by the car in July 2019 as 326 Wh/mile. (I lost my historical data at that time because of a computer repair.)

Unfortunately, that is an incomplete picture, because it does not allow for charging elsewhere, such as use of Superchargers and destination chargers on trips. I do not have very good records of charging away from home. So, I made an estimate of the mileage driven away from home over those four years and decided to allow 1,000 miles per year as a rough but reasonable allowance. So that means the Eversource energy was used for about 37,033 miles. The average energy use then looks like 481 Wh/mile, a much higher figure, and a bit startling. I know that charging losses have been estimated at 10% or so, but this would be quite a bit higher.....

There was an error in this post, and I need to correct it.

I said the car used an average of "348.7 kWh/mile..."

As someone pointed out, referring to "kWh/mile” was a stupid error in units, my apologies.

As to the numerical value itself, I see I also made another error -- it is 17,827 kWh divided by the mileage over four years, but I used the wrong figure. I should have 41,033 miles as the miles driven in that four years. So, the correct value would be 434.5 Wh/mile. My sincere apologies!

The adjusted value, allowing for Supercharging, was correct at 481.4. So, the difference between 481 and 434 is less dramatic. That difference of 50 Wh/mile accounts for the losses in the charging system as well as consumption of energy for preheating and cooling but remains an estimate.