Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelyhood of bending 20 inch performance wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious how likely is it to bend the 20 inch wheels while driving. I live in the bay area and I try to avoid potholes when possible, but some are unavoidable. I hear conflicting reports and some say it's inevitable, others say the opposite.

Depends how careful you are. I live in Seattle where the roads are DREADFUL. No issues yet. People are more likely to complain than not.

Reactions: destructure00
On on my third Model S, these cars are freaking heavy, I've cracked multiple wheels, bent them, pinched the low profile tires and had to replace the tires, i'm approaching 200K behind the wheel of 3 Tesla's and everyone one of them has had multiple issues with the 21 wheels, if you scan the forums it the same thing with the 20's.

Ask any service advisor, they will tell you they get more calls for the 20's on M3's and the 21's on the Model S. I dumped the 21's on all three cars and went with 19's on all our S's, no issues since. I'll bet it increase the risk by a factor of 2 or 3 depending on where you live.

This thread says otherwise. do-you-have-bent-20-wheels-on-your-model-3.144218

https://teslaowner.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/downgrading-to-19-wheels/

It's very easy to do, it happens all the time, and it's extremely expensive to make right. Those of you with 20's might want to watch this...

I seriously can’t fathom why people cite EE as like THE reason to replace the wheels. It’s nonsense if you ask me. This guy hit something pretty damn hard and it wrecked his wheel. I’d bet if he’d hit whatever he hit on 18s it would have broken them too. It’s just ONE guy.

Honestly - you may as well write: “one guy wrecks wheel, proof that all wheels will break.”

For every one person here who broke a 20” wheel there’s what, a 100 other people who had no issue?

On my S P85+ it came with the 21" Turbine wheels. The looked great, but potholes broke 2 wheels and ruined the tires in less than 5000 miles. I didn't like the look of 19" Tesla Slipstreams, and started looking for alternatives. I found the T Sportline 20" staggard they made looked just like the 21" Tesla Turbines, so I got a set and put over 100,000 miles on them without issue (driving the same roads). When I got my X, there was NO WAY i was getting the 22's, so i got it with the 20" Slipstreams but I am going to buy another set of the T Sportline because they look like the Tesla Turbines and I will be less than the money i would have paid Tesla for there wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Friend of mine who lives two blocks away with a M3P also broke one of his 20" and switched to 19" wheels because of it. He said performance seemed similar, ride comfort was better. I also assume a few % increase in efficiency as well.

Previous thread with a poll attached had like 30-something percent of 20" P owners reporting having damaged one or more wheel.

Which is awful damn far from the "1 out of 100" claim a 20s-damage-easy denier made earlier in the thread.

Previous thread with a poll attached had like 30-something percent of 20" P owners reporting having damaged one or more wheel.

Which is awful damn far from the "1 out of 100" claim a 20s-damage-easy denier made earlier in the thread.

Uh huh. About one in three people. Totally legit poll. Totally.

Wait.... what’s that?

Sorry, heard a noise outside. Went to check and a Model 3 Performance just rolled by and bent all 4 wheels driving over one pothole! Incredible!

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3