Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Line visualizations disappear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a used 2017 Model X 90D about a month ago. Love the car. A couple of days ago I started seeing weird changes in the lane lines displayed on the dash. Normally they roll off the bottom of the screen. Now from time to time they cut short. Cars will still display in those areas, just without lane lines. The lines reappear after a few seconds usually but go away quite often. I had my wife snap a couple of photos of the dash. Tried a reboot of everything but nothing changed. Thoughts?

Normal:
5D3B115A-218F-496A-BAC2-A0C956B0A019.jpeg

chopped line view:

CA0B80A7-CC0C-4018-8C60-4026D28C9D0A.jpeg

Chopped lines with vehicle:

C871EAE3-C2A8-4D89-9CBA-670E242CB048.jpeg

No it started during the day. I did the restart of everything before leaving at night. So occurring both day and night. I did get a software update day before yesterday however I think it was occurring before the update. Thinking of doing a factory reset - but have never done that before.

Did a camera calibration today as well. No change. No one else sees this on their display right? Trying to decide if I should add it to my service list lol

Not sure why it is a service item. With Tesla, the software is always being updated and things change on displays and features.

If you want you can try a full reboot. Hold down both wheel buttons and brake pedal. Car will power down and in 30 seconds or so and slowly come back up over the next 2 minutes.

I’m not seeing the problem. The display adjusts the scaling of the car depending on what is around it. In these examples, the third picture is the only one where a car is close enough behind you in a side lane to show up. Your car has also been scaled to a smaller size in this view. There will particularly be a lot of variation in the display on a multi lane highway as I’ve noticed a wide variation of what shows and doesn’t. Autopilot is beta and always changing. I don’t see anything concerning here.

Reactions: KerryOH
Sorry the photos should have been taken with the same distance. yes the visualization does zoom in and out depending on (I believe) speed and other vehicles around me. However, what I'm talking about it in the top picture, the lines roll off the bottom of the screen. But then after a little time, the bottom part of the lines just disappears. It doesn't fade away, it doesn't slide up, and the zoom level of my vehicle doesn't change. They just go blank (but only at the bottom). In the 3 photos I posted, the "zoom" level of my vehicle is the same. And photo 1 and photo 2 are literally seconds apart. The visualized car in the lane to the right is the same vehicle. As it passed me, there were lane lines for both of our lanes. But then a mere second later, after it had passed me the lines disappeared but only on that bottom part. I thought maybe it had something to do with the presence of the vehicle there or not there, and had the 3rd photo taken to show even when a car is in my blind spot, the lines are sometimes there and sometimes not.

Then after a few seconds, they come back. I'll try to get a video of it. The only reason I question it, is it wasn't doing it before.

OP, I've seen this plenty of times over several versions in my AP 2.5 MCU 1 IC. It usually comes back briefly after it cuts off, and I don't think zooming in and out is always relevant, which you seem to have confirmed two posts up. It is almost certainly nothing more than a display glitch. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with it.
Not sure why it is a service item. With Tesla, the software is always being updated and things change on displays and features.
It is a service item because Tesla insists on not having customer facing software support separate from the service center. No matter how certain you are that you have a software problem, even when you can report it through the contact us field in your account on Tesla.com (not sure if that even exists anymore), it ultimately gets forwarded to the service center.

OP, I've seen this plenty of times over several versions in my AP 2.5 MCU 1 IC. It usually comes back briefly after it cuts off, and I don't think zooming in and out is always relevant, which you seem to have confirmed two posts up. It is almost certainly nothing more than a display glitch. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with it.It is a service item because Tesla insists on not having customer facing software support separate from the service center. No matter how certain you are that you have a software problem, even when you can report it through the contact us field in your account on Tesla.com (not sure if that even exists anymore), it ultimately gets forwarded to the service center.

Thanks for the response - glad I'm not the only one that has seen it. Was hoping it wasn't a failure beginning to show.

OP, I've seen this plenty of times over several versions in my AP 2.5 MCU 1 IC. It usually comes back briefly after it cuts off, and I don't think zooming in and out is always relevant, which you seem to have confirmed two posts up. It is almost certainly nothing more than a display glitch. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with it.It is a service item because Tesla insists on not having customer facing software support separate from the service center. No matter how certain you are that you have a software problem, even when you can report it through the contact us field in your account on Tesla.com (not sure if that even exists anymore), it ultimately gets forwarded to the service center.

But what is the service center going to do? Look at it and say "yep, that is strange"?

Thanks for the response - glad I'm not the only one that has seen it. Was hoping it wasn't a failure beginning to show.
I mean, I didn't say that, my X is over 3 years old and has over 43,000 miles, that it could be a failure beginning to show isn't beyond the realm of possibilities. OTOH, if your X is MCU2, then I suppose I could be reassured.
But what is the service center going to do? Look at it and say "yep, that is strange"?
The service center can escalate so that developers can be made aware of the bug and resolve it. It shouldn't require the service center, but it does. Personally, I'm ignoring it, but that doesn't change the fact that it IS a service issue because of Tesla's stupid structure. They have NO public facing IT support of any sort regardless of vehicle involvement. I couldn't receive e-mails from them due to a misconfiguration in their DNS, and instead of being able to notify someone at a technology company so they could fix an issue with their technology, I had to work around the issue on my personal server.

I agree that software items are service items. They treat hardware and software the same. If software, they can speak directly to engineers who can read your vehicles data and make corrective actions. I have had mobile service directly speaking with engineers to troubleshoot items that seemed like a glitch but ended up being a hardware failure.

No it started during the day. I did the restart of everything before leaving at night. So occurring both day and night. I did get a software update day before yesterday however I think it was occurring before the update. Thinking of doing a factory reset - but have never done that before.

I started getting this with the latest update... 2019 X with AP 2.5...

So, you're not alone...