Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Homelink Garage Door Openers That Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same opener and found it very important to program the car's homelink while parked facing the garage and just outside of it. Not sure if that is your issue, but it made a big difference for me. I always park back-in and when I tried programming it with the car facing outwards, the signal was very poor in being able to open the door.

Thank you for your insight. I initially programmed Homelink as instructed, just outside the garage, facing the door. Then today I reprogrammed it while parked inside the garage hoping for a better result. I will give it another try from the outside once again...

The ryobi gdo works quite well, especially if you are already invested in the ryobi system you can use one of your old batteries as a battery backup. Full wifi connected and app support (you can open and close via app, get alerts so you know if you door has been left open or open after a specific time, etc.).

Put the opener in the frunk when programming. Also, most garage door openers have a limit as to the amount of remotes that can operate them. Most manufacturers don't publish this information or you really have to dig for it. I've heard numbers as small as 5 and as large as 20.

I have a Liftmaster 8500 also. Works fine with my car. But the best part of the opener is that it is super quiet. No belt, no screw, no chain. It mounts directly on the jackshaft. The downside is that it is a little slower than traditional openers though.

I have a Liftmaster 8500 also. Works fine with my car. But the best part of the opener is that it is super quiet. No belt, no screw, no chain. It mounts directly on the jackshaft. The downside is that it is a little slower than traditional openers though.

The Liftmaster 8500 is pretty awesome. Although the receiver antenna is probably too short since my Tesla can't seem to get the door open from the driveway, most of the time. I'll be searching YouTube for assistance in extending the antenna. I am hoping this will resolve the poor connectivity.

Eventually I will replace the metal wheels of the garage door with nylon wheels for a super quiet operation (bedroom above garage).

One thing to note about this particular garage door opener - the automatic track locking mechanism, which is a nice feature, is entirely made of plastic, except for the metal box and metal pin. The internal gears and piston are all plastic and given enough use, they will breakdown and fail. They quite literally explode due to the force in which the piston operates. This happened to the main garage after one year and our secondary garage after two years. Good thing there's a five-year warranty on these things. The company is very quick to send replacement parts.

One thing to note about this particular garage door opener - the automatic track locking mechanism, which is a nice feature, is entirely made of plastic, except for the metal box and metal pin. The internal gears and piston are all plastic and given enough use, they will breakdown and fail. They quite literally explode due to the force in which the piston operates. This happened to the main garage after one year and our secondary garage after two years. Good thing there's a five-year warranty on these things. The company is very quick to send replacement parts.

Good to know, Thanks!!

The best deal I've found is this at Home Depot: Chamberlain 1-1/4 HPS Smartphone-Controlled Wi-Fi Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup and Ultra-Quiet Operation-HD950WF - The Home Depot. It's been $228 in store at Lowes/Home Depot (just got two in Fremont a week ago).

They have built-in wifi and bluetooth so you do not need an addon for it / homelink.
I have this same one and quite happy with it. The Tesla works well with it, the mobile app is simple (& has touch ID support, so actually useful)....

It works with my 40 year old chain drive Sears / Chamberlain.
Of course it does. The problem with Tesla Homelink has been that it won't work with some brands of rolling codes, a feature that old openers don't have. My Direct Drive opener required that I buy a separate receiver with old-style non-rolling code to work with my Tesla.

Not as secure? Well, maybe, if crooks wanted to hang around outside until you approached so that they could intercept the signal as you opened your garage door. That is the only scenario that rolling codes are meant to defeat.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888