Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Live View cameras reversed (funny thread w/pics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
First I’m dyslexic so I have problem with this. Several months ago (pre multi camera view) I was near my car and looking at my App and struggling to figure out what perspective I was seeing. It all seemed reversed. I almost made thread asking if my cameras were “flip flopped” but decided against and attributed it to my dyslexia. Now with Live multi I can see it IS a reversed perspective. Oddly when you look at the multi view it is like you are sitting in the car and same as looking at the Reverse Cameras. However when you look at the individual cameras it is like you are standing in front of the car and looking backwards. Strange but kinda glad/funny I was able to finally understand what seems so confusing about Live View.🤔 Do others see this as a little odd or confusing changing the prospective of the view?

IMG_3968.jpeg
IMG_3969.jpeg
IMG_3970.jpeg
IMG_3971.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I specially searched this topic on the forum because I noticed the same. Glad that you made the post because I see the same! In multi camera view you see the views like appearing on the in-car dashboard screen (all views are flipped instead of the front), but when selecting individual cameras on the App you see the view exactly from the selected camera.

I specially searched this topic on the forum because I noticed the same. Glad that you made the post because I see the same! In multi camera view you see the views like appearing on the in-car dashboard screen (all views are flipped instead of the front), but when selecting individual cameras on the App you see the view exactly from the selected camera.
Yea, I find it odd that others don't seem to notice this. It stands out like a sore thumb tuning me around trying to place were everything is. Tesla needs to pick either driver's seat looking into the screen or (my preference since you are NOT in the driver's seat) front of the car looking back but not a combination of both.

Reactions: Resist and SergeyP
I also noticed that my Fart button from the Live Camera screen does not work. Horn, Flash and Megaphone are all working but not the Fart one (which does nothing). However, the Fart button on the main screen of the App (where you have upto 5 icons) works fine. What abt you?

I just noticed this and can't believe Tesla hasn't fixed it. In multi view the repeater cameras are showing mirror images and it annoys me. I'm not understanding Tesla's logic behind doing this. I also don't understand why when using Live View my car has to flash lights every so often and have the display come on. This brings unwanted attention to my car when parked in public and we should have an option to turn that off.

I also hope Tesla can reduce the Sentry Mode power usage, mine has used 6% of the battery in less than 24 hours with no events. In my previous Tesla I could have sworn it only used around 2-3% for the same time period.

Reactions: JulienW
"View Live Camera is limited to approximately one hour (or 15 minutes for some regions) of cumulative usage per day."

I found this in the owners manual. Why would they limit us to an hour a day? And only 15 minutes per day in some regions. Is this some sort of privacy law issue? If so I find it funny because there are millions of cameras everywhere recording people constantly, dash cams, security cameras, cell phone cameras.

"View Live Camera is limited to approximately one hour (or 15 minutes for some regions) of cumulative usage per day."

I found this in the owners manual. Why would they limit us to an hour a day? And only 15 minutes per day in some regions. Is this some sort of privacy law issue? If so I find it funny because there are millions of cameras everywhere recording people constantly, dash cams, security cameras, cell phone cameras.
Streaming video from the car uses a lot (in relative terms) of bandwidth, which Tesla has to pay for.

The data plan that they purchase will be a corporate/IoT tailored plan that probably allows their devices to roam over multiple mobile providers to improve connectivity and which will have a data allowance that will be pegged to match the 90th centile use case (or similar). If a subset of customers stream video 24/7 it'll mean they have to pay for more bandwidth.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Streaming video from the car uses a lot (in relative terms) of bandwidth, which Tesla has to pay for.

The data plan that they purchase will be a corporate/IoT tailored plan that probably allows their devices to roam over multiple mobile providers to improve connectivity and which will have a data allowance that will be pegged to match the 90th centile use case (or similar). If a subset of customers stream video 24/7 it'll mean they have to pay for more bandwidth.
Tesla isn't losing money because we pay for Premium Connectivity, FSD and the ever increasing Supercharger rates. If streaming video from the car cost them a lot of money then they wouldn't have added this feature.

Tesla isn't losing money because we pay for Premium Connectivity, FSD and the ever increasing Supercharger rates. If streaming video from the car cost them a lot of money then they wouldn't have added this feature.
But they can manage the cost of the data to them, by putting limits on it, which they did.

Reactions: Yelobird
That’s not now business services work. They’ve designed their premium connectivity proposition around a certain level of service utilisation and if you blow it by streaming video constantly then the proposition doesn’t work anymore. It’s not about whether they can literally afford the phone bill.

And yet I watch hours and hours of Netflix, YouTube and Hulu video in my car, without any limits. That's part of the Premium Connectivity and I'm sure that takes up way more bandwidth. Seems to me security of the car is more important than entertainment.
It actually probably doesnt (take up way more bandwith) since netflix / hulu is compressed to heck and back, and not 8 camera feeds that are basically real time.

In any case, I will politely bow out of this discussion now.

It actually probably doesnt (take up way more bandwith) since netflix / hulu is compressed to heck and back, and not 8 camera feeds that are basically real time.

In any case, I will politely bow out of this discussion now.
Well, all I know is that the picture quality watching Netflix or Hulu is way better, plus there is audio. The Live View feed isn't great quality and doesn't have audio.

Well, all I know is that the picture quality watching Netflix or Hulu is way better, plus there is audio. The Live View feed isn't great quality and doesn't have audio.
Curious minds want to know: I love checking my time to time to see if something is happening and have even watched a minute or 2 when some odd activity but......do you seriously watch your Live Feed for an hour like it is Netflix?

It may be the hour a day is just something about the way the code was written and not an intentional limitation. Probably no one at Tesla ever considered that anyone would be watching Live View for 1/18 of their entire waking day.

Curious minds want to know: I love checking my time to time to see if something is happening and have even watched a minute or 2 when some odd activity but......do you seriously watch your Live Feed for an hour like it is Netflix?

It may be the hour a day is just something about the way the code was written and not an intentional limitation. Probably no one at Tesla ever considered that anyone would be watching Live View for 1/18 of their entire waking day.
Probably noone would watch it directly for that long but you would immediately find services popping up to stream your feed and use it as a security camera/ archive it long term etc, the same way TeslaFi and Tessie etc have built services around the API.

I would imagine that’s the sort of thing they want to prevent.

I wasn't saying I'd watch it for an hour straight, but when I park my vehicle somewhere other than home I do check on it often. I do this because Sentry Mode doesn't always record events. But the feature can't even put the red dot of the video in the right place where the even was supposed to trigger the recording. Often I want to see how close other vehicles parked next to mine. But clearly it was in fact an intentional limitation because they also said you only get 15 minutes a day in some regions.